S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

College search for the not so little ones?

Old 05-12-2005, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default College search for the not so little ones?

Any sage advice form those that have gone before?

Our oldest is a junior and we've visited several campuses and open houses. It looks like the medium and large schools are the most appealing to him.

I know this is the beginning of the process and I would appreciate any incite you could provide.

Any tips on financial aid would also be appreciated. We've got one graduating HS next year, one the following year and one 2 years after that.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:06 PM

Two words: State Colleges
Old 05-12-2005, 04:45 PM

don't stress out more than necessary. it is all going to work out.

don't allow your financial anxiety to be the sole deciding factor in your son or daughters choices.

if your child has 'good to very good' grades and substantial afterschool/extracurricular participation the private schools will want them...and they will provide financial support/help to bring your child to their facility.

you & your child should become briefed on the college visit process. the questions to ask. the people to see & meet.

customized applications and interviews are an integral part of the application consideration acceptance process.

good luck.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

We're currently going through the same exact thing. Our oldest is a junior in high school now.

We visited Washington & Jefferson College in Washinton, PA. It is quite a nice college but with a student body of only 1,250 students, my son felt that it was a bit too small.

Tomorrow we are going to an open house at NYU. NYU is Liz's alma mater and Andrew wants to go there. Being New Yorkers we'd like him to go there too. The school has become very competitive and very big. Also, it is quite expensive.

Andrew has seen the University of Maryland and liked that a lot.

Additionally, we are going to look at UMass, BU, Rutgers and a few other schools.

Very much like your oldest, Andrew favors the larger schools. I think he thinks the bigger the school, the easier it will be for him to hide or blend in with the crowd. Liz and I think he will be better off in a mid-sized school that is large enough to offer the courses that he needs (hasn't decided on a major yet and probably won't until his sophmore year) yet small enough to allow him to feel connected.

There was an interesting article in the NY Times two weeks ago. It spoke about how the success rate is much higher for students in mid sized and smaller schools simply because it is easier for them to feel like they belong.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:48 PM

One of our neighbors started at NYU this past fall. It's a great school.

I agree on the mid-size school thing, 1,250 would stifle Dan. We've been to UMD-College Park (Huge), UMD-Baltimore Campus (8000 students), UVA (mid-size and the wife and my favorite), McDaniel (2000 students) and will be going to Drexel next weekend.

I graduated from UMD in College park and it is a great school, but the undergrads are just a number to the school. I got a great education, was able to work on research with professors and took cutting edge classes in my field. I had to make it happen, but I knew what I wanted. Many of my friends started there but kind of wandered aimlessly until finding the right major.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

We went to the NYU session today and were very impressed. NYU is more competitive than we thought, but, the fact that Liz is an alum helps and we think Andrew has a good chance of being accepted.

We are going to tour some other schools this summer and next fall. We'll probably take a close look at Rutgers next. I will post more as we see more. Please continue to post as well.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:16 AM

Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts

I am also in the same situation with a Junior in High School. I am trying to squeeze in some college visits. We went to U of MD and was overwhelmed by the size of the school. The fact that a college student was burned in a house near that area doesn't help too much especially with suspicious gas can near it. I wonder if anyone on this board knows of Grove City college. It is very competitive and expensive too, I think.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:41 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

The only advice I can give that might be helpful is to be honest with yourself about your child. Every kid is different. It is nice to hear what others are doing or thinking, but I would not put too much stock in the advice of others who are responding in terms of their own child (Not that anyone here is giving such advice, I'm just speaking in general terms.)

If your child was active in high school, you might want to ask some of his teachers and counselors where they think he might best fit. But if he wasn't well known by the teachers and counselors, their advice will be no better than mine. Does your son have strong opinions about college that he clearly expresses? If not, then he is probably just as confused as you are. You have the basic consumer who does not know what he wants, and may not even be clear about wanting anything at all. In this situation, it is very easy for you and your child to be "sold" on a school he doesn't want or need.

Lets put it in terms of a car. Imagine a young person who has never driven, rode in, or seen a car. They have been happily riding their bike for 12 years. Mom and Dad had cars once, but that was long ago and all the person has ever heard are some stories about the cars. Suddenly, they are told they are at the end of their bike riding days and they have to start driving this thing called a car that they have never even seen. Worse yet, there are many cars to choose from, and you have to pick the right one. Now, some folks might be pretty excited by this and study up on the subject and visit car dealerships with friends and talk to older people about these cars and go on line and check them out and maybe even sign up for a test drive of some cars and we would all like to think our kids are like that. But it isn't hard to imagine that someone who has only heard about them and hasn't even seen one might be pretty overwhelmed. They may not have a clue where to start and they may well be thinking "but I love my bike!" Parents try to do the work for them and prod them along without understanding the kid's view.

So...take your time. talk to your child. See what he is interested in. Seek professional help if need be. there are people who can help with the process. Try not to make it a chore. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:22 AM

I have one in college. He is struggling, but determined. One advantage, he is only 80 miles away so he can come home occasionally to get restored by friends and family. My older dropped out after 2 years. She is shy and maybe was too far away from home. She got discouraged with her major and couldn't decide what she wanted to study. She is home now, working at a dead end job and trying to figure out her life.

Many of my friends convinced their kids to go to the local junior college; because they thought their kids were immature or because of finances. Some of these kids did very well, transferred to four year colleges, graduated and are off to work or professional school. Some of these kids are ambling along still after 4 or 5 years at the jc.

Other friends' kids went straight to four year colleges. Most of these kids have graduated and are off to further education or interesting jobs. Some kids, like my daughter, didn't finish; some have good jobs and some are just surviving.

There are books, probably online resources too, which among other facts tell what the students' average GPA and SAT scores are. Most colleges gear their courses to a particular segment. If the school is too easy, your student might not get engaged and drop out or amble for years. If it is too hard, they will struggle and not have the time and energy to get involved in as many extra curricular activities as they might want.

One thing I wished we'd done is send them to a summer program at some nearby 4 year college for high school students. It might have helped.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:41 AM

Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by CARNUTMAMA,May 14 2005, 02:22 PM
One thing I wished we'd done is send them to a summer program at some nearby 4 year college for high school students. It might have helped.
My sister is sending her son this summer to Duke University summer program for her 8th grader son which I thought was rather interesting. I think this is a good idea for slightly older kids but who knows. My sister's kid has been in private school all throughout his life and will get the college experience when he is only an 8th grader. I am sure he will get something out of this.

Quick Reply: College search for the not so little ones?