S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Christmas tree.

Old 11-28-2003, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you celebrate Christmas, how soon after Thankgiving do you go out and get a tree?

I haven't bought or put up a Christmas tree since the late 70s. My late wife's religious background prohibited the participation in the ritual. Therefore, I didn't participate either for almost 25 years. Now I'm with a lady that does participate and wants to put up a tree. I'm thinking anytime would be ok. When do you traditionaly put up a tree?
Darn things are expensive!
Old 11-28-2003, 06:55 PM

We've used an artificial tree for decades, and finally replaced it this season with a pre-lighted artificial one. Just put it up and take it down--don't have to keep buying it every year. Most visitors can't tell the difference. What decided me on an artificial tree was seeing the real ones for sale one year with some decidedly artificial-looking coloring sprayed on, creating the situation where the real trees looked fake and visa-versa.

I have some reservations about celebrating Christmas, because our Lord wasn't really born on Dec. 25, but there isn't any other time established to honor His birth. Anyway, the PC Orwellians are working hard to eliminate it entirely.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:57 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Well, around here, all the trees have already been cut, so the sooner you buy one and stick it in water the longer it will last and the less likely the needles will fall off by the thousands. Be sure to cut an inch off the end before you stick it in water. Welcome back to Christmas. My wife is Jewish, I'm Christian. We celebrate everything. It's more fun that way.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
Well, around here, all the trees have already been cut, so the sooner you buy one and stick it in water the longer it will last and the less likely the needles will fall off by the thousands.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:55 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
Old 11-28-2003, 08:05 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by paS2K
Old 11-28-2003, 08:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by paS2K
Old 11-29-2003, 04:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

We put up an 8ft artifical tree in the great room usually 3 Saturdays before Christmas. I cut the real tree yesterday from a free farm about 2 miles from here. He charges 20.00 any size or type ;so you have to get there early.The real tree goes up in the loft and fills the house with great aromas.

I love Christmas !
Old 11-29-2003, 06:06 AM

I think I'll go out and get a tree today. Professor. Don't worry. I'll avoid the tree huggers. Lots of em here. I probably tell them there is an army recruiter down the road handing out sign up forms to high school kids. That'll keep them busy while I get away. Now how about them presents? I'm done shopping except for the lady. I went to the "Great Mall" in Milpitas California yesterday-day after Thanksgiving. My goodness! A sea of humanity. The Great Mall is 1 mile long. Never seen anything like it. Wall to wall people in a mall 1 mile long and 6 stores wide. What a country! You name, they had it. I didn't find anything for the lady but I want one of those "Love Sack" huge oversized bean bag chairs. Check them out at luvsack.com. They come in all sizes but the largest one at $359.00 is almost king sized. I can just see myself laying in the middle of that in my living room by the fire. I may never go to bed again. Import stores all over the place. Lamb skin leather jackets for $79? I found some wonderful deals on cool things like wooden wind chimes carved elephants, incense and other imports that cost 1/4 of what they cost in other places. I was so impressed with the indoor skateboard and inline skate arena. They had walls to skate up, emptly swimming pools, rails to skate on, video games, onsite skate store, skater clothing and shoes, arm and knee pads, helmets Etc. All of this in a caged in area and a very small number of employees that were all notaries to witness the signing of waivers. A skater could join for a $25/annual fee and pay $5 per session of two hours or $12 per session if a non member. The place was packed with kids and adults. All to the tune of Michael " Wako Jacko" Jackson blaring in the background. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
After all of that, I walked out of the "Great Mall" hopped into my S2000 and drove home. All I bought was an ice cream cone.

I forgot to mention that I was challenged by a firebird at a stop light. 1/4 mile of clear road ahead. I checked my rearview mirror, looking for the law, as he reved his engine and looked over at us. I didn't rev. I didn't look back. I didn't flinch as I sat there in nuetral. I knew that the light would turn soon and he just had to get in front of me before the road bottle necked into one lane. My gal said, "does he want to race or what?" It was on! I slowly slipped it into first as if I were cocking my Winchester. The light turned and his tires squalled. I looked back at his distorted face as I passed him and led him and the rest of the pack by about 12 car lengths. He should have know better!

Old 11-29-2003, 07:25 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

jrf. where is La Selva?

Quick Reply: Christmas tree.