S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Chemo Update

Old 09-26-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chemo Update

I just finished with my second round of chemo and the results are not as good as I had hoped for. Within a week of finishing, the pain in my back still remains. This means that the cancer is not being affected to this regime. The problem now is that the chemo is now starting to have a negative impact on various other parts of the body. First my kidney functions are dropping and it is having a negative impact on my heart. Our plan now is to stop all chemo and approach the cancer in a different way. First thing is to use radiation treatment on the areas that are causing the pain, once we address the pain we will formulate a plan to go after the cancer. Even though Chemo is the most effective way to deal with this there are other options to consider. Next week I go for radiation and after that we will be trying some of the "trial" treatments available. I wish there was better news at this point but there isn't. We are going to actively pursue the quality of life scenario, and deal with this on an ongoing basis. Right now pain management and putting on some weight are the priorities, I was down to 162 pounds and put on two pounds last week which is a good thing. I am under no restrictions and everyday that I'm off of chemo the more energy I get back.
The Allegheny club has two rides scheduled for the next two weeks and I plan on being at both. Being with my friends make me feel great and something I really look forward too.
Another part of this is the support and love that Beth has shown. She's been the rock through this all and continues to be my best friend and loving and caring wife. Well that's all I got right now I'll keep everyone posted as we move ahead.
Love you all,
Maury
Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update, Maury. You continue to be an inspiration, and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

There seems to be so much going on with friends and family these days. Life is fragile and precious. You have always added that special "fun-factor" to the Vintage meets I've attended over the years, and I know you will pull through this with your hard work, and the support of your amazing wife and best friend, Beth.

Love you guys!

- Jerry
Old 09-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

It is not the best news, Maury, but I know you will do whatever it takes to fight this. I can relate to the pain management, since my mom has been on it for quite some time. There are quite a few options. I'm keeping you and Beth in my thoughts. Going to those car meets will be the best medicine for sure. Hugs and kisses to you both.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Maury, thank you so much for the update. It is not the best of news, however, your positive attitude is wonderful. You and Beth are both absolutely wonderful people and my and prayers are with you both. {{{big hugs}}}
Old 09-27-2012, 02:42 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

As the others have said, thanks for the update! Can't wait to see you this Saturday at Seven Springs, it's gonna be a blast!
Old 09-27-2012, 04:16 AM

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Thank you for the update. Sorry to hear the results aren't what was hoped for. Your attitude is amazing and we all know that plays a big role in health challenges. Hoping good results from the radiation and other treatment.

Enjoy the drives with the Allegheny group. Wish we could join you.

Our love to you and Beth.
Lainey & Rick
Old 09-27-2012, 04:43 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Maury, I'm sorry to hear the chemo didn't work. Good for you for switching immediately to plans B, C and D. I am pulling for you on the radiation and trial treatments. And quality of life is very important. I'm glad you are giving that a priority. I look forward to seeing you this spring at the fling.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:47 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Thanks for the update. Hang in there! We all know you will beat this!! Our prayers are with you and Beth.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Best wishes from the other end of Pennsylvania, Maury

Your attitude is an inspiration for all of us...keep on fighting

I'm glad that you're having a respite from the chemo and getting out on the upcoming events.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Maury, I'm just sitting here trying to think of what to say. I'm glad you told us how the fight is going but so sorry it's such a tough one. Your attitude and Beth's are incredible. I love you, both and will pray for a miracle.

Patty (((HUG)))

Quick Reply: Chemo Update