S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

changing your own oil

Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 AM

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,642 Posts
Default changing your own oil

As a much younger man, I used to embrace changing the oil in MY vehicle.
many miles have passed and I have to say, I still do it on occasion but it's just not a pleasure anymore.
Now it just seems to be something else on the to-do list.

I can't figure out what has changed over the years or why.
I still love my vehicles but mostly in driving them.
Maybe I'm not as limber, crawling on the ground certainly takes on a totally different level of effort.

For many years I, while working up the ladder, I just didn't have the time to do the services, maybe I just got spoiled.

How do you feel about it?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local Honda dealer has a quick change lane. You take your car in, they change the oil, do a quick inspection, and your car is back in 30 minutes. All for $32.95 with Mobil 1 and a new filter. It is not worth my time to get out the jack, stands, oil pan, plus taking the oil to the recycling center for 30 minutes and $32.95. In other words, I haven't personally changed the oil in any of my cars in years - I always take them to the dealer.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Rick has never changed oil on our cars. Of course, working at a dealership could have something to do with it.

Oil changes are generally inexpensive. Inexpensive enough that he never wanted to bother with disposing of the old oil, etc.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

With the Fujita intake, low profile oil drain pan and the quick drain valve there is no need to raise the car. Everything can be done front the top and it only takes about ten minutes (most of that is waiting for the oil to drain).

If I had to raise the car and crawl under I would have someone else doing it.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Since I had my car supercharged (Comptech) the return line goes into the oil drain opening through a special fitting. I have been afraid to take it anywhere as they may damage the fitting. For me it's jack up the car, insert jack stands and get busy. The past few years I have started to get nausious crawling under the car on my back. Not sure why, maybe because everything is too close. Now I at least once while doing the job and that's on a good day.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts

Sam, it's time to put a lift in your garage.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy my oil at Advance Auto Parts largely because they accept the used oil for recycling. One stop disposes of the old oil and purchases the oil for the next change.

I do sometimes wonder whether it's worth it, but if I don't do some of the simple things just to keep my hand in, I might become the kind who can't put that clutch in when it goes out, etc.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past changed the oil on all my vehicles. Two changes. First I now feel responsible to bring back the used oil for recycle. This is about a 30 mile round trip. Not worth the time, effort, or cost of gas. Second both cars that I now own require ramps to get under them. Not a purchase that is on the horizon. When I go to the quickie places I do bring my own filter. Just dont feel confident in the quality they are using. They do run specials on the 5/30 Mobil 1 so the price is not that bad.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

disposing of the old oil,is a pain
so,I let my mechanic do it...
Old 06-05-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 510 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by poorshoesless
Sam, it's time to put a lift in your garage.
In November of 2003 (seven months after buying our S) we had a 17' X 30' garage built. I regret not having it built to accommodate a lift. On the other hand, the cost of home owner lifts has come down since then, making them more affordable.

The S is a snap was I have a Fumoto valve installed I can do it from the top.

The Fit (2008) is not bad.

It is the Infiniti I-30 (which uses the same size oil filter as the Fit, even though the engine displacement is twice as large, 3.0 L versus 1.5 L on the Fit) That is the worst of them. The filter is a bit hard to get too with a rubber splash guard in the way that makes it awkward to get too. Especially with the torque wrench to tighten.

I use Honda OEM filters on the S and the Fit. And Frams on the Infiniti. Stock up on 10-30 Mobil 1 when Costco has a coupon (like this month at $9 per case off). I buy five quart jugs of 5-20W for the Fit when Advanced Auto has a sale, as Costco does not carry that weight.

P.S. After ready the other posts about recycling, our local trash / recycling center is about three miles away and they accept recycled oil. I have found that big used detergent bottles (I.E. Tide)are perfect for storing it until I go to the dump.

Quick Reply: changing your own oil