S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Changing thought patterns

Old 12-26-2005, 05:44 AM

Received 774 Likes on 466 Posts
Default Changing thought patterns

Waxing kind of philosphical today (ewwww, but can't think of any other way to express it). We've all probably had those moments of epiphany when things just "click" in our brains and we "see" something abstract in a nice little pattern. I credit M. Night Shymalan with changing the way I look at not just movies, but lots and lots of things. He sort of ruined movie viewing and even television programs for me because he said about Sixth Sense: The answer is in front of you all the time. Now, everytime I see a film, a play, a thriller tv program or even read a book, I'm looking for the answer which generally is in front of me all the time. I hate him. Actually I usually enjoy his movies.
Now I'm quickly bored, knowing I've found that obscure little comment or movement and I know how things will end before I watch the drama unfold. I use the middle of movie time to go get a snack or something and then come back to see the end just to prove to myself I know what's going to happen. Has something or someone influenced you in such a way that it has changed your process of thinking or how you look at things? Please elaborate.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple:

The first time I realized just how smart my parents were/are.

The discovery that if my becoming angry or upset would have no effect towards resolving a situation or problem beyond my control, there is absolutely no reason for me to be angry or upset.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My late mother-in-law once pointed out that "if all it takes to resolve the problem is money and you can get the money, it's not really much of a problem."
Old 12-26-2005, 07:54 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

There is a mute who wants to buy a toothbrush. By imitating the action of brushing one's teeth, he successfully expresses himself to the shopkeeper and the purchase is done.

Now, if there is a blind man who wishes to buy a pair of sunglasses, how should he express himself?

Think about it first before scrolling down for the answer...

He opens his mouth and says. "I would like to buy a pair of sunglasses"

fltsfshr all animals pattern...humans included...don't we
Old 12-26-2005, 08:04 AM

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Valentine,

I think reading Dear Abby columns, as a teenager, made me realize over and over, that, "There are two sides to a story." That really made an impression on me and I always think, when I see something that looks bad, that there is another perspective that I'm not getting.

Have you seen the movie, "Crash"? It is great at giving different perspectives. That is one movie that is hard to predict. I really liked it and highly recommend it.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:10 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The only time i change my thought patterns is when my wife tell me to.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:13 AM

Smart man!
Old 12-26-2005, 08:38 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Works for awhile, but then i always revert back to the norm.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:39 AM

That's OK. At least you try.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:15 PM

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,123 Posts

I think two things in my life had a very profound effect on me and changed the way I think.

I started working at a very young age, and at a very young age I decided that all I every wanted to do was to be a clothing manufacturer. I grew up in the business and spent 30 years loving every minute of it. One day I discovered my partners stealing and forced them to buy me out. I was devastated and left the industry. I felt betrayed. I thought I'd work in the menswear industry forever. I think this episode taught me that a) nothing is forever and b) I can survive anything.

The other thing that changed the way I look at things was the passing of my father. I thought that he was the one person who would live forever. I thought that he would never die and would always be here for all of us. Of course I knew better, but in my heart of hearts, I thought he was immortal. He died, and I learned once again that nothing is forever and I also learned that sometimes you have to stop and enjoy the day. Not everything is for tomorrow because someday will be your last day and there won't be anymore tomorrows. I never really believed that until my father died.

Those are the two things that changed the way I see things.

Quick Reply: Changing thought patterns