S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Changing professions

Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please note that I've been with my current employer for 13 years. With that said, 40+ years of corporate America's bullshit is getting me down. No matter how hard you try to ignore it, it wears you down over time.

You've all experienced it, I'm sure: "we pay for performance" but "there's a freeze on career progression so no matter how well you perform, you can't move to the next pay grade" and simultaneously "we value candor." I try not to take it personally, but when they call me stupid it does register.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 511 Likes on 304 Posts

[quote name='RedY2KS2k' timestamp='1327550201' post='21353391']
Please note that I've been with my current employer for 13 years. With that said, 40+ years of corporate America's bullshit is getting me down. No matter how hard you try to ignore it, it wears you down over time.

You've all experienced it, I'm sure: "we pay for performance"
[quote]

That is exactly how I "feel" (and think). I am tired of the Corporate BS and being treated like a kid fresh out of college. IMHO the "short term thinking" that is the mantra of corporate America is one of the reasons that our economy is in this mess. But, I will refrain from elaborating here about how the "jobless recovery" is a by product of the near zero interest rates that have enabled many companies (I.E. Caterpillar and John Deere to name just a few) to invest tens of millions of dollars to automate and robotize and displace workers. The robots never call in sick, take vacations or go out on strike. Additionally, their health care cost is nominal, just hire a few technicians to keep them running 24 X 7.

IMHO the Fed's policy of keeping interest rates at near zero is part of the problem, not part of the solution to sustain manufacturing jobs here in the USA. But, what do I know?