S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Changing the clocks- Does it get to you?

Old 11-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by Tachus
I'm with you Lainey. The amount of day light matters more than the time on the clock but this time I found the "fall back" hour to be really difficult. One would think the extra hour of sleep would be easy to accept but here I am still struggling to adjust.
I had to work graveyard shift that night. The extra hour of work is a real bear.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 3,191 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I received a double bonus this year. I was in Paris when they changed over a week before we do so I got an extra hour of sleep. Next weekend, at home, another hour of sleep!

Cracks me up all the discussions of circadium rhythm disruption. That is my life as an international airline pilot. Welcome to the world of melatonin.

Time is make believe.
I don't know how you do that sleep in different time zone things. I'd need more than melatonin.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tachus
I'm with you Lainey. The amount of day light matters more than the time on the clock but this time I found the "fall back" hour to be really difficult. One would think the extra hour of sleep would be easy to accept but here I am still struggling to adjust.
So many people are saying this. At the Y yesterday and today, we were talking about it, and for, whatever reason, how we've all been hungry. Not sure what's up with that!

It took all I had to go to the Y yesterday and today. However, I went and at the end of the classes, I felt better than I had all day.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 5,758 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I received a double bonus this year. I was in Paris when they changed over a week before we do so I got an extra hour of sleep. Next weekend, at home, another hour of sleep!

Cracks me up all the discussions of circadium rhythm disruption. That is my life as an international airline pilot. Welcome to the world of melatonin.

Time is make believe.
That's the difference between international airline pilots and the rest of us.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:52 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

I totally despise the time change. Unlike some of you I recall when this DST policy was first begun. Supposedly it was to allow farmers (yes, we actually had real live farmers back then) more daylight in the summer in order to sow and harvest their crops. Now it is a totally stupid thing to do. We adjust much better to changes in the amount of daylight hours when it is done gradually. This "spring forward" and "fall back" is ridiculous. This is a quote from a CNN article back in the spring:
"(CNN)Daylight saving time is Sunday, and losing sleep after clocks "spring forward" an hour could be more than just an annoyance. This small time shift can significantly raise the risk of health-related issues.A 2016 study found that the overall rate for stroke was 8% higher in the two days after daylight saving time. Cancer victims were 25% more likely to have a stroke during that time, and people older than 65 were 20% more likely to have a stroke.The researchers, based in Finland, compared the rate of stroke in more than 3,000 people hospitalized the week after a daylight saving time shift to the rate of stroke in more than 11,000 people hospitalized two weeks before or after the week of transition."
Old 11-09-2017, 03:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Getting home from work in the dark is a PITA and unless one is college age when it gets dark ya get sleepy. I'll take "daylight" time year round, thank you.

Modern DST (AKA Summer Time) is a relic of the Great War -- WW1 -- which few of us remember.

US time zones are based on old railroad time but the zones have creeped west through out the years. I recall reading that Pittsburgh was originally (or planed to be) in Central Time (to more closely match sun time) but business interests wanted to keep Philadelphia and Pittsburgh on the same time; then Cleveland "moved east" for the same business reasons. Heck Eastern time runs to the Chicago suburbs now!

Just made a physical residential move from Cleveland to Richmond. Sundown in Cleveland today was at 1712 but it was at 1704 here. A generation ago Ohio had "county option" and some counties didn't change. Very difficult to keep appointments.

-- Chuck
Old 11-09-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

It was to benefit the farmers... at least that is what I was told....

Most clocks, cars these day will adjust for DST o their own.

If yours doesn't... sell your old antiquated POS, and get a new POS!

Just my $.03 adjusted for DST!
Old 11-09-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I have to pay extra attention in Arizona. The State does not follow daylight savings time, yet the reservations (at least for the Navajo Nation) do follow it. When you are traveling from one part into another, it is easy to get appointments messed up.

I've been on extended overseas trips lasting from 5 weeks to 3 months. When you get used to one time zone so different from the home one, my rule of thumb is to allow one day per time zone to get back to feeling in synch again. One hour is not bad. 8, 9, 14 time zones away can really play games with you.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

I prefer DST. Having it get dark so early makes me think it's much later in the evening than it is. Still adjusting to that a bit, but overall it doesn't bother me.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:22 AM

I'm starting to feel "normal" after really dragging tail all week long. I do admit to fading a bit faster when it's dark so early, but I am appreciating the morning light.

Quick Reply: Changing the clocks- Does it get to you?