S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Cell Phones and driving.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:49 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

For the thrid time

Negligent drivers are going to be negligent no matter what. In your case the driver allowed herself to be distracted by the phone.

Last week it might have been a song on the radio or a talk show host that completely got her discombobulated.

Having the right to talk on the phone does not absolve anyone of their responsibility as a driver to operate their vehicle safely so as not to put fellow drivers in danger.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lig,Jan 19 2005, 11:49 AM
For the thrid time

Negligent drivers are going to be negligent no matter what. In your case the driver allowed herself to be distracted by the phone.

Last week it might have been a song on the radio or a talk show host that completely got her discombobulated.

Having the right to talk on the phone does not absolve anyone of their responsibility as a driver to operate their vehicle safely so as not to put fellow drivers in danger.
That argument doesn't hold any water. Why don't we legalize theft since there is more than ample evidence that thieves are going to commit theft anyway.
I've seen the effects of driving while on the phone first hand. For the sake of my well being and peace of mind I won't mention any names, but under normal circumstances someone I know is a very good driver. However, put a cell phone in this person's hand and it's like riding with Mr. Magoo.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:11 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

uhhh... the last time I checked - theft is illegal and talking on a cell phone is not.

That is beyond apples and oranges.

Why not get dangerous drivers off the road - no matter what the underlying cause is.

How about all the testosterone-induced accidents in this country? I for damn sure did some stupid things as a youngster.

"Driving while being a Male Teenager"

I have witnessed stupid driving caused by all manner of things - cell phone usage included.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by dean,Jan 19 2005, 10:05 AM
That argument doesn't hold any water. Why don't we legalize theft since there is more than ample evidence that thieves are going to commit theft anyway.
Nope - then your analogy parallels "Why don't we just let people cause accidents while driving with cell phones, since they're going to do it anyway". At the point that driving while talking on the cell phone becomes illegal...well, then, your analogy still won't work. I'm sure at that point there will be legal repercussions for doing it.

Here's a related topic for discussion....dvd players in cars (even if the screens are behind the driver - and then a spinoff of this subject could be screaming kids in cars).....GPS units in cars.....

Hey, I have a better idea! Why don't we just make driving illegal since people may become distracted by a multitude of situations, thus causing death and destruction.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:35 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

^^^^ ^^^^

Since so many people die in their bathrooms from head injuries - why not make helmet use mandatory?

Let's outlaw bedrooms too while we're at it. Most dangerous room in the house.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by lig,Jan 19 2005, 12:11 PM

uhhh... probably because theft is illegal and talking on a cell phone is not.

I have witnessed stupid driving caused by all manner of things - cell phone usage included.

Don't paint all drivers with the same brush.
Driving while distracted regardless of the nature of the distraction constitutes negligent driving which is illegal.
This debate is reminscent of what I used to hear from drunks who were thoroughly convinced that they were still good drivers after they'd had a few drinks.
At the present, you're free to do what you please in regard to cell phones, but I doubt that the majority opinion or behavioral research will support it.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by lig,Jan 19 2005, 10:35 AM
^^^^ ^^^^

Since so many people die in their bathrooms from head injuries - why not make helmet use mandatory?

Let's outlaw bedrooms too while we're at it. Most dangerous room in the house.
OK...but that would just be protecting you from yourself and that's not what we're talking about here. Now if you want to provide them for your guests, I'm all for cutting down liability by strategic placement of disclaimers:

Old 01-19-2005, 07:44 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by dean,Jan 19 2005, 09:37 AM
Driving while distracted regardless of the nature of the distraction constitutes negligent driving which is illegal.
That is my point exactly. Negligent drivers should face consequences - regardless of what caused their distraction.

If it is a cell phone - so be it.

Your tone seems to imply that negligent driving as a result of cell phone usage should be condoned - I have never advocated that position.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:45 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

hehe... that does it. My next party is going to require disclaimers.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:03 AM

Cell phones exasperate the real problem that most drivers suffer from. The lack of situational awareness. How many drivers have you seen or know that have no clue as to what is happening around their vehicle. What ever happened to keep your eyes moving, check mirrors, know what is happening around your car? Add to the lack of awareness a distraction like eating, reading, makeup, cell phone and a bad driver turns into a terrible driver.

People who constantly stay aware of their surroundings while driving have less problems talking on a cell phone while driving.

Quick Reply: Cell Phones and driving.