S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Cell Phones and driving.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 3,214 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokee,Jan 18 2005, 08:36 PM

You shouldn't be allowed to use one while you're in the restroom stall either.
Well, the restroom (but not the stall) may not be a bad place for cell phone use. Not classy, but at least you may be removing yourself from the larger group of people wherever you may be. In the past, I have done it myself so as not to disturb people while visiting my father in the hospital.

In addition to watching what we are doing while we are driving, we need to police ourselves for courtesy when it comes to cell phone use. I'd rather have someone in the restroom using a cell phone instead of sitting in the middle of a restaurant conducting their business, which can be annoying to anyone hoping to enjoy a quiet meal without cell phones going off.

Or what about the person who is ordering food or conducting business who can't even hang up their cell phone long enough to have a polite conversation with the clerk? Just plain rude.

I don't fly often, but I sure hope they continue to ban cell phones on plane. As of now unless you get a screaming baby you can often find some quiet in a plane.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,161 Posts

[QUOTE=lig,Jan 18 2005, 09:25 PM] Do any of you ever go on group drives?

Would you ban two way radios too?

Where do you draw the line?

Talking?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lig,Jan 18 2005, 06:25 PM
Do any of you ever go on group drives?

Talking? Eating? Reading? Shaving? Applying makeup?

No two way radios, they are instruments of the Devil.

Talking is allowed only with no accompanying hand gestures and then only in a monotone so as to avoid excitement.

Eating, the only safe food I can think of is a carrot. You can stick it in your mouth and then put both hands back on the wheel. The carrot can be manipulated with your lips. No attempted conversation with carrot in mouth.

Shaving and applying makeup both deserve your undivided attention and that cannot be accomplished while driving. You owe it to yourself not to miss a patch of beard or pencil an eyebrow on crooked. Besides, the rear view mirror can't take all the twisting and turning, heck you can't even see your entire face in the thing.

Reading a twenty page report while driving to work at 60 mph on a crowded freeway. Honestly, one of the stupidest acts, almost like driving drunk.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokee,Jan 19 2005, 12:05 AM
.... the only safe food I can think of is a carrot. You can stick it in your mouth and then put both hands back on the wheel. The carrot can be manipulated with your lips. No attempted conversation with carrot in mouth......

Good one, Smokee Does a carrot also work for low cal 'safe sex'?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Jan 18 2005, 06:30 PM
Or what about the person who is ordering food or conducting business who can't even hang up their cell phone long enough to have a polite conversation with the clerk? Just plain rude.
The day the doc tells me I've got three months to go, I'm calling out everybody I find doing that. I do it now with unqualified people parking in handicapped spots. Have yet to get in a wrestling match. Next is the very act you describe, just who do they think they are?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by lig,Jan 18 2005, 06:25 PM
Do any of you ever go on group drives?

Talking? Eating? Reading? Shaving? Applying makeup?
Nothing that requires a hand while the car is moving. No eating, drinking, reading, shaving, or applying makeup except at stop lights. No sticking CDs in, either - there's a reason why they put duplicate radio controls within reach of the steering wheel. Normal cell phones only if you hang up when the light turns green.

Hands free phones or headsets in the right lane are okay with me - except when I'm the person on the other end of the line, when I'll often feel impatient with the cell phone user because he isn't paying attention to the conversation. If you're running your business from your cell phone while driving, be aware you may be losing customers that way.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:38 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

tough crowd!

How about we treat it like abortion? Totally against it? Don't have one.

Cell phone usage: Don't like it? Don't do it.

I'd certainly support taking the "talking" rights away from those who cause accidents by their negligence.

The funny thing is that some of these drives w/two ways (not that I'd ever do it ) involve highly antisocial driving with speeds deep into triple digits
Old 01-19-2005, 12:55 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

^^^
Old 01-19-2005, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by lig,Jan 19 2005, 02:38 AM
tough crowd!
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Distracted cell phone users put other drivers at risk.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:21 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by lig,Jan 19 2005, 01:38 AM
tough crowd!

I'd certainly support taking the "talking" rights away from those who cause accidents by their negligence.

The funny thing is that some of these drives w/two ways (not that I'd ever do it ) involve highly antisocial driving with speeds deep into triple digits
I tried to stay away from this.....

Lig, how about a hypothetical.

Let's assume that it is everyone's right to talk and drive, how do you handle the following?

A good samaritan stops to help change a tire for an elderly woman on the highway.
A person in an SUV, who by their own admission strikes and kills said young father, because she was distracted by her cell phone.

Should she be charged with manslaughter? Should she serve jail time?
In the senario of individual rights should there be punishment meeted out if you do something like this?
Should the authorites have the right to check to see if you own a cell phone and to see if it was active at the time of the death?

Personal freedoms are paramount as long as the do not infringe on someone else.

Quick Reply: Cell Phones and driving.