S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Cell Phones and driving.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,161 Posts
Default Cell Phones and driving.

Here's a little article to get this started.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/18/national/18cell.html

But don't get hung up on the article, the real issue is cell phones and driving. I see many people driving with the cell phone pressed to their ear. This in spite of the fact that it is illegal in the State of New Jersey. Unfortunately here in the Garden State it is only a secondary violation. That is a police officer cannot stop a person for talking on a cell phone, he/she can only ticket for cell phone use if the motorist was stopped for another offense. In the state of New York and Washington, D.C., the other two with cell phone laws, it is a primary offense.

That said, the real issue is that of whether or not it is a distraction to the driver. It seems that the "hands free devices" really don't change much. The distraction is one of talking on the phone, not holding it.

Do you think that this leads to dangerous driving. I do. I see it all of the time. I see people maneuvering their vehicles with the phone pressed to their ear, not paying the proper attention to the vehicle. I see it on the roads, and I see a lot of it in parking lots. I think it is very dangerous. Unfortunately, New Jersey's laws don't seem to be making much difference.

What do you think? And what should be done about it?
Old 01-17-2005, 06:51 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't say that I agree, Rob. My car is my office. I've had a mobile phone since 1984 and have had zero accidents or incidents. I use pretty much all of my 2500 minutes per month and many of them happen to get used while I'm on the road.

Stupid drivers will drive badly no matter what. If it isn't a cell phone it would be the stereo, a book, the newspaper, mascara, GPS or some other distraction.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a study done recently that showed that if a driver was carrying on a conversation, his attention to driving was reduced by something like 50%. It didn't matter if it was on a cell phone or with a person in the car.

I don't recall off the top of my head where I saw this, I'll have to do some digging and post what I turn up.

That said, I never use a cell phone while driving. I always pull over, or let it ring until I am parked. If the call is important enough, the caller can leave a message and I can call them back; if no message, it probably wasn't all that important.

What absolutely scares the living crap out of me is seeing a sport ute (or other vehicle) behind me, the driver with a cell phone in their ear, and their eyes wandering everywhere but where they are going. If I have to stop, there is no way in hell they will be able to stop in time.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by tomcatt,Jan 17 2005, 10:52 PM
What absolutely scares the living crap out of me is seeing a sport ute (or other vehicle) behind me, the driver with a cell phone in their ear, and their eyes wandering everywhere but where they are going. If I have to stop, there is no way in hell they will be able to stop in time.
That is one of the most frightening sights. Oftentimes while on my way to work with the top down I am stopped at a light. I look in the mirror and see this huge S.U.V. (Lincoln Navigator comes to mind but it could be any) bearing down on me. The driver has a cigarette in one hand and the cell phone pressed to his/her ear with the other. I have no idea which limb the driver is using to steer the brontosaurus that he/she is driving, but I know it's not a hand or arm. I close my eyes and pray that I don't get hit too hard.

So far I've been pretty lucky (except for the young woman who was distracted with her cigarette and tapped the back of my 4Runner), but I fear that one of these days it will happen. I'm sure that if it does, the driver who hits me won't give me his/her license until he/she finishes the phone call and hangs up. I suppose I'll have to wait.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by lig,Jan 17 2005, 10:51 PM
Can't say that I agree, Rob. My car is my office. I've had a mobile phone since 1984 and have had zero accidents or incidents. I use pretty much all of my 2500 minutes per month and many of them happen to get used while I'm on the road.

Stupid drivers will drive badly no matter what. If it isn't a cell phone it would be the stereo, a book, the newspaper, mascara, GPS or some other distraction.
I don't know lig. Perhaps you are the exception, but everything that I've read suggests that the distraction from driving and talking on a cell phone greatly increases your chance for an accident. I also know what I see, and I see drivers on their cells unable to drive properly.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:23 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Negligent driving is negligent driving - period.

I don't care what the cause of the negligence is. If it is the cell phone or any other activity.

If we accept the accuracy of the study that tomcatt quoted - then maybe conversations of any type while driving should be outlawed.

I doubt I am the one exception, Rob Maybe we should have a poll:

How many accidents have you had as a result of talking on a mobile while driving?

Good topic though - always polarizing
Old 01-17-2005, 08:21 PM

[QUOTE=ralper,Jan 17 2005, 07:44 PM]Do you think that this leads to dangerous driving.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:22 PM

I think there are some people capable of cell phone use during driving. That being said I think most people are not able to do both, myself included. The few times that I have had the occasion to use my phone I found the "eyes off the road" activities (i.e. opening the phone, dialing, answering) the most difficult activities while driving. That also could include putting on makeup, reading the paper, eating, lighting a cigarette, tuning in the radio, etc.

I have to get off the computer now because I have to put down my cheeseburger and answer my phone, plus I need to make a left turn soon.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:28 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Dialing and driving is a PITA. I spend an extra five bucks a month for "Voice Command"

You log on with your computer - type up to 525 names/phone numbers.

After you set up the names and numbers you can call anyone that you list on your website by dialing * and the speaking the name. Very handy and IMO worth the extra five bucks a month.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:53 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

While I don't have a cell phone, And I'm sure they are a slight distraction to some, especially when answering/dialing...However I don't like the the idea of not being able to talk on one. Having witnessed cars suddenly pulling onto/leaving the shoulder of the road makes me think the law is for the birds. What's next, no radio or talking? Give me a break!

From what I've read, talking on a cell phone doesn't increase accidents much, if at all.

Quick Reply: Cell Phones and driving.