S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Catching up with contemporary music.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been a big Paul Simon fan since the sixties. I tried to love "Surprise", but I don't. I just got the new Dylan masterpiece "Modern Times" from Itunes. After going through many phases of listening and playing music for the last forty years, I have come to this conclusion. There's Bob Dylan, and then there's everybody else.
It's getting more difficult to find good music, music that means something. But it's around. Sure ain't on the radio though.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My current favorites (still around) are:

Garbage
Peter Case
Stan Ridgway
Presidents Of The USA
Suzanne Vega

Warren Zevon died a few years ago, or he would be on this list.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To help with your music search, go to Paandora, the music genome project. You put in a title or artist and it creates playlists based on similarly styled music. I have it on right now based on Jesse Winchester.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I do have stuff from U2. I have heard of many on the lists. My son listened to many of the groups mentioned by Tonybell.

This is great. I'll try to distill this down.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Bill,

I find myself in the same position as you. I have an extensive collection of music going back to the 40's and ending sometime around 1980. I love the songs especially the lyrics.

Something happened to me in the early 1980s. For some reason I stopped listening to contemporary music. So now I find myself completely out of step with today's music.

I've tried to listen. Both on the radio and to my son's cd's but I find that I no longer have the patience to sit and listen. And, developing a taste for music really involves being able to sit and listen. I find that I usually take the path of least resistance. Even when I try to listen I often find myself switching to something more familiar to my ears. I think we've reached an age, as far as music goes, where more familiar is more comfortable. And with everything else going on, it's just easier to stagnate (not better, just easier).

I don't know that it's really possible to jump into the music again.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tonybell_57,Sep 1 2006, 06:03 PM
Some of my favorites are:
Metal
3 Doors Down
Hinder
Tool
Evanesence
Buckcherry
Disturbed
Stained
Saliva
Hed Planet Earth
P.O.D.
Avenged Sevenfold
A Perfect Circle
Korn

Urban
Linkin Park
Rage Against the Machine
Gnarls Barkley
Black Eyed Peas
OutKast
Gwen Stefani
Pink
I agree with Tony's metal list. Add Chevelle, My Chemical Romance, Some Blink 182, Godsmack and Green Day. I also like some Coldplay songs, but not many.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:41 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Sep 1 2006, 09:45 PM
Bill,

I find myself in the same position as you. I have an extensive collection of music going back to the 40's and ending sometime around 1980. I love the songs especially the lyrics.

Something happened to me in the early 1980s. For some reason I stopped listening to contemporary music. So now I find myself completely out of step with today's music.

I've tried to listen. Both on the radio and to my son's cd's but I find that I no longer have the patience to sit and listen. And, developing a taste for music really involves being able to sit and listen. I find that I usually take the path of least resistance. Even when I try to listen I often find myself switching to something more familiar to my ears. I think we've reached an age, as far as music goes, where more familiar is more comfortable. And with everything else going on, it's just easier to stagnate (not better, just easier).

I don't know that it's really possible to jump into the music again.
I have a long drive to PA coming up Rob . I figure I can pick a couple new releases and give it a try
Old 09-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Sep 1 2006, 09:41 PM
I have a long drive to PA coming up Rob . I figure I can pick a couple new releases and give it a try
Good luck. I'm going to try too by listening to something new on XM. We'll see.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,909 Posts

I just bought a new CD and listened to it while washing my van. At first it was a little too energetic for me, but I got into it by the time I was done. It's nice to get into something new that doesn't fit at first. Makes it fresher and lasts longer for me.

Nickelback: All The Right Reaons.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

Crazy good stuff. Futureman made his own instrument, the Drumitar, that looks to have once been a cereal box and a roll of duct tape. Bela Fleck may be the greatest banjo player ever, and it ain't country.

Flecktones

Quick Reply: Catching up with contemporary music.