S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Cars that might be classics in 2039.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Originally Posted by dlq04' timestamp='1393042533' post='23027996
Not a one of them IMHO.
I agree Dave, I have an 03 TJ Jeep Rubicon. This was the first Rubicon Jeep made and mine is in mint condition. It has the iconic 4.0L engine considered to be one of the 10 best engines of all time. The 14 has the Penstar 260HP engine and more electronics and creature comforts unbefitting of a Jeep. I do have A/C and that's about it. Not sure my 03 will be a classic but I do know it has a better shot than the 2014. I plan to give it to my grandson in about 8 years for his High School Graduation. I'll be 78 and will need a lift chair to get in it.
The comment about electronics is an intriguing one.
The question was how many will be collectible, not how many will be running by then.
Many vehicles have electronic assemblies which are unique to that vehicle.
Since I make my living in that area and deal with long term life expectancies for said items.... good luck.
Cars are very harsh environments with bad things happening, such as temperature extremes, vibration, and humidity.
None of these things bode well for a long life vehicle.
In military applications they take special precautions to inhibit failures.
These precautions are expensive and usually not practiced in commercial world where cost is everything.

So low volume vehicle will have a spares issue. It won't be a case of turning a new brake assembly by copying it on a lathe.
The parts will be very difficult to replicate since the cost would be astronomically high for a one off.
Or the source code is just gone..... or the process family i.e. technology used, is no longer available.

Case in point, those lovely LCD displays that a lot of vendors are adopting. Good luck with that one.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I think if any jeep is going to be considered a classic it's going to be a World War II MB or a CJ-5 or CJ-7.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 775 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
I think if any jeep is going to be considered a classic it's going to be a World War II MB or a CJ-5 or CJ-7.
I agree. I have a customer who has an original WWII Jeep complete with a 50 caliber machine gun mounted in the rear. He is a retired Army veteran. He takes it to WWII reenactments and claims he never has any problems with tailgaters or experiences any road rage.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 511 Likes on 304 Posts

I am beginning to re-think the "classic car scene" as an investment in the future. Up until a few months ago I thought that the Ford GT would be a great investment as a collectable in the future.

However, it seems to me that most of the cars that are bringing in outrageous prices at auctions are ones such as 1967 GTO's, etc. In other words cars that we car culture folks (a product of the golden years of the car culture) find desirable.
Virtually all of the vehicles listed have heritage that tugs on memories of us Vintage folk that have warm spots in our hearts for those marques. In my opinion many Gen X, Y, and such have little, or no interest in cars. Many of them that are urban dwellers do not even own a car, and rely on ZipCar.com or other such car sharing sites to use a car to get from point A to point B when they need too.

That, coupled with all of the driver assist technologies available today, not to mention "autonomous" driverless vehicles which are on the horizon (in the next decade or so) will further diminish, and erode the connection and fondness for automobiles as a collectable investment for many, therefore reducing the viable market. Yes, there will be those that will find an appeal of these current day cars with some emotional attachment, however it will never be anything close to the relationship (and love affair) that we Vintage folks have for cars from our youthful years, such as the 50's 60's and 70's.

As an example: About two years ago I watched the Barrett Jackson Auction where a beautiful 1936 Bugatti Saloon Car (that in my opinion was a work of art, a similar car is on display at the MOMA in NYC) did not met it's reserve. However, a few vehicles later a 1967 Pontiac GTO went for $256,000. Why? Because some Baby Boomer that could not afford one when he/she was a teenager had an emotional attachment to owning a GTO.

That is my two cents.

What do you think?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:02 AM

Received 775 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
I am beginning to re-think the "classic car scene" as an investment in the future. Up until a few months ago I thought that the Ford GT would be a great investment as a collectable in the future.

However, it seems to me that most of the cars that are bringing in outrageous prices at auctions are ones such as 1967 GTO's, etc. In other words cars that we car culture folks (a product of the golden years of the car culture) find desirable.
Virtually all of the vehicles listed have heritage that tugs on memories of us Vintage folk that have warm spots in our hearts for those marques. In my opinion many Gen X, Y, and such have little, or no interest in cars. Many of them that are urban dwellers do not even own a car, and rely on ZipCar.com or other such car sharing sites to use a car to get from point A to point B when they need too.

That, coupled with all of the driver assist technologies available today, not to mention "autonomous" driverless vehicles which are on the horizon (in the next decade or so) will further diminish, and erode the connection and fondness for automobiles as a collectable investment for many, therefore reducing the viable market. Yes, there will be those that will find an appeal of these current day cars with some emotional attachment, however it will never be anything close to the relationship (and love affair) that we Vintage folks have for cars from our youthful years, such as the 50's 60's and 70's.

As an example: About two years ago I watched the Barrett Jackson Auction where a beautiful 1936 Bugatti Saloon Car (that in my opinion was a work of art, a similar car is on display at the MOMA in NYC) did not met it's reserve. However, a few vehicles later a 1967 Pontiac GTO went for $256,000. Why? Because some Baby Boomer that could not afford one when he/she was a teenager had an emotional attachment to owning a GTO.

That is my two cents.

What do you think?
I agree with you. I watch these shows and can't believe what people pay for an old car. 50 and early 60 Corvettes selling for 6 figures. The audience looks like a local senior living complex.. 256K for a GTO is crazy. I don't care how much of an emotional attachment you had because you couldn't afford one in your youth. I now wish I still had my 66 GTO and maybe some fool would give me a bundle of bucks for it. I paid around 3,500 for mine. One of my customers completely restored a 67 GTO to perfection. He figured it was worth somewhere around 60-80K. This person is nuts for paying 256K for one. I could buy a lot of nice cars for that much money.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 511 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
I agree with you. I watch these shows and can't believe what people pay for an old car. 50 and early 60 Corvettes selling for 6 figures. The audience looks like a local senior living complex.. 256K for a GTO is crazy. I don't care how much of an emotional attachment you had because you couldn't afford one in your youth. I now wish I still had my 66 GTO and maybe some fool would give me a bundle of bucks for it. I paid around 3,500 for mine. One of my customers completely restored a 67 GTO to perfection. He figured it was worth somewhere around 60-80K. This person is nuts for paying 256K for one. I could buy a lot of nice cars for that much money.
John Schnatter, the founder of Papa John's Pizza, is a good example of having an "irrational emotional attachment" to a vehicle IMO. In August of 2009 he paid $250,000 for a 1972 Camaro that he sold to buy a pizza oven to start his business.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I think this was discussed at length in Dave's "what if you hit the lottery" thread. For the last 25 years the market has been driven by the boomers. The following generations do not share the boomers' interest in the hobby. So while the top echelon of collector cars (like less than 1%) will continue to increase in value, expect collector car values in general to flatten out in the near term and then fall in the future. Like all markets, there will be exceptions to the rule. The real trick will be trying to pick the cars that will buck the trend.