S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Car Shopping...

Old 07-23-2005, 07:08 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts
Default Car Shopping...

Looked at Mercedes. Suzy's in the market for a new car. While we were there I saw a car I hadn't seen before. A CLS 500. It was the ugliest Mercedes I've ever seen. It looked like half buick half who knows. It was so ugly I went to look closer.

I always look at door and trunk lines. None of them fit the gaps were uneven. The side of the car is reminicent of an old caddilac seville and like the old seville the front wheels rake the entire side of the car with road trash all the time. The porsche flavored snorkels on either side of the bumper didn't seem to fit.

The bottom line is after I saw this one I went over to where my wife was and started really inspecting the car she was looking at, I came away kind of disappointed in the quality of the car throughout compared to the last time I looked at Mercedes.

Now I'm looking elsewhere. Has anybody else noticed anything? We're going to go look at Jaguar next. I hope they're better. Then maybe a Caddy CLS or CTS whatever it is.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

fltsfshr
Old 07-23-2005, 07:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What exactly are you looking for flats? Large luxury car, mid-sized, price range?

How about an Acura RL? Or a BMW 3 or 5 series?
Old 07-23-2005, 08:13 AM

We didn't look at BMW's as she doesn't like the looks of them. She wants big safe luxurious speed that she can see out of.

Right now she's driving a 2004 chevy conversion van with everything on earth in it (including a theatre and a plasma tv).

I tried to talk her into an Escalade but she's looking at big coupes and sedans. I just figure if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I want something that the fitment is at least as good as my S2000.

She'll buy what she wants in the end, I'd just like to throw a little influence and knowledge into the pile.

Appreciate any advice. Sh'es looking top end.

fltsfshr
Old 07-23-2005, 08:27 AM

Porsche Cayenne?
Old 07-23-2005, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Big" and "fitment" don't seem to go together. The auto maker with the best fit and finish have been the Audi and Lexus for the past few years. Maybe the new Lexus RX series would be good--fast, easy to see out of, carries stuff and they even have a hybrid model so she can feel like she's helping the fish and birds.

My wife's parent's just bought a new Escalade. BIG, luxurious. I've never liked these cars because the suspension is so antiquated, and the gas guzzling so PROFOUND. However, it gives a surprisingly good ride. Sucky gas mileage, though.

Porsche Cayenne, yes. But, it's ugly. It's sibling the Volkswagen Toureg might be worth a look.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:21 AM

How about the Porsche Cayman? In this weeks AutoWeek.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:54 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

How about that nice car you found on that Island- the one with Elvis on the spare tire? And it's already broken in.
I want a new 500SL. I had a 1990 and always sorry I got rid of it. I love the ne4w ones, but never looked close at the fit. Will have to do that.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Morris,Jul 23 2005, 12:54 PM
How about that nice car you found on that Island- the one with Elvis on the spare tire? And it's already broken in.
I want a new 500SL. I had a 1990 and always sorry I got rid of it. I love the ne4w ones, but never looked close at the fit. Will have to do that.
Ha Ha I offered her that one on the spot. Money was no object for that beauty.

I just suggested a Honda hybrid and a new flats boat to her. She didn't bite.

fltsfshr
Old 07-24-2005, 06:20 AM

Received 5,757 Likes on 3,392 Posts

The new Lexus IS (250 & 350) is due out this fall and I am waiting to see it in real light and test drive it. In some pixs it looks front heavy but I think that's just the angle.

Here's a link http://www.lexus.com/2006is_preview/index....705:TPE:Preview

The Infiniti is another I want to test drive. Like you folks, I do not like the looks of the BMW, any report you read talks about Mercedes quality dropping, an Audi is still on my short list but I am not to sure about the looks (enjoyed the test drive).
Old 07-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Flts,

Take a good look at the Acura RL. It's a lot of car.

Quick Reply: Car Shopping...