S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Which can you cope with better?

Old 01-23-2005, 03:51 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I may play in this tournament...

http://www.pasturegolf.com/winter.htm
Old 01-24-2005, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lig,Jan 23 2005, 06:51 PM
I may play in this tournament...
How can you swing with so many clothes on? See those buildings in the background of the one picture? That's me in there, sitting in front of the fireplace with a good book, a glass of wine and a pair of binoculars (so I can pretend I'm watching the golf game). Ice autocross (in somebody else's car) looks like more fun....but again, I'd much rather be autocrossing in 100*F weather in a tank top and shorts!
Old 01-24-2005, 05:37 AM

Talking

I prefer the cold. The heat and humidity make me miserable and the threat of bursting into flames on a 100+ day makes me cranky.

My heat/AC are electric. My little house is about 1300 sq.ft. My winter electric bills are between $40-60. In the summer, they're over $100.

P.S. It's a clear, dry sunny day here and we have a wind chill of 13 (no snow). That's pretty cold for us. I love mornings like this!

Edit: I do have a theory about the one possible advantage of humidity. It may help stop wrinkles. I've noticed that (some) citizens of dry, hot climates seem to be more wrinkley. Maybe it's like a cake that cracks in a too hot oven? Down here we're braised, so, no wrinkles!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:56 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by rjosey8385,Jan 24 2005, 06:55 AM
How can you swing with so many clothes on? See those buildings in the background of the one picture? That's me in there, sitting in front of the fireplace with a good book, a glass of wine and a pair of binoculars (so I can pretend I'm watching the golf game). Ice autocross (in somebody else's car) looks like more fun....but again, I'd much rather be autocrossing in 100*F weather in a tank top and shorts!
I've got some nifty cold weather gear.

Orange balls, lots of ice... (that sounds like a bad Cheetos joke doesn't it )

The first auto-x of the season is this coming Sunday. They are not "Championship Events" where you run for points.

It's called the "Slush Series" They are remarkably well attended as there is usually have a cap of 150 entrants
Old 01-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,532 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokee,Jan 23 2005, 08:39 AM
Warren J. Dew, Diablo Canyon nuclear plant is on an active fault. That concerns some folks. A Google search reveals both opinions as to whether or not that is a problem.

Keeping on the topic, they have a great climate there. (Central CA coast) I spent a couple years there and it's on my list of places to live.

I LOVE the No Smoking policy in CA.
My grandfather lived in Los Osos, which is just south of Morro Bay. He left his house to my sister, Jeanne. She and her husband lived in it for a few years but they got sick of the fog in the summer. Since then they lived in Wyoming for 10 years, and now about 3 years on Kauai. Talk about extremes. They are thinking of coming back to California in a year or two. They build custom homes wherever they live.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by lig,Jan 24 2005, 10:56 AM
The first auto-x of the season is this coming Sunday. They are not "Championship Events" where you run for points.

It's called the "Slush Series" They are remarkably well attended as there is usually have a cap of 150 entrants
Any excuse for autocross during "silly season"....I mean how dumb is it to have to wait 3-freakin' months until AX season starts up again?!?!?

Speaking of frigid, several years ago I took an Evolution AX school - I guess it was mid-March (and back when I was AX-ing an'86 Scirocco). It was about 40 degrees and rainy, not to mention the 600 mph winds that we seem to have from January to May, so we had a wind chill of like 30*F. My instructor (Glenn Hernandez) was from Seattle. All of us Texans were bundled in our winter-trip-to-Colorado ski wear (you know, parka over fleece jacket over sweater over thermal shirt over thermal shirt over thermal shirt and several layers of thermals under our jeans, wool socks ... the works). Glenn's out there in a windbreaker and shorts. Fortunately, the other instructor for the day was from Houston, and it was decided at some point that we could even work the corners from our vehicles. Worked pretty well, as far as I'm concerned. My motherly instincts kicking in, I gave Glenn good information as to where he could purchase warmer gear in the area because he was staying the next day to do a Viper club Triathlon (which I also was working....more out of morbid curiosity than the fact that I felt the need to chip in and help our club, which was sponsoring the Autocross portion of the event). I figured the poor guy came to Texas and was probably taken by surprise by this Arctic blast. No, he assured me that he didn't like to drive wearing long pants. I'm thinkin' "male bravado - Hah! He'll find some long pants before tomorrow". Nope. Next day, new shorts, same windbreaker. The Vipers didn't disappoint, though... at least one went into the wall on the road course
Old 01-24-2005, 09:35 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Hurricane Hernandez! We have so many National Champs right here in the PacNW. 6 of '04 winners IIRC. I'm trying to learn from the best

Working your corners from your vehicles? I thought you Texans were tough
Old 01-24-2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by lig,Jan 24 2005, 12:35 PM
Hurricane Hernandez! We have so many National Champs right here in the PacNW. 6 of '04 winners IIRC. I'm trying to learn from the best

Working your corners from your vehicles? I thought you Texans were tough
not when it comes to the cold
Old 01-24-2005, 09:43 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

^^^^ ^^^^
Old 01-24-2005, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like both, as I like to ski in winter. I can't deal with too much sun, but the heat doesn't usually bother me.

Growing up in Ireland, a heat wave was considered anything in the high 70s.
The first time I ever felt real heat was when we drove to the south of France in 1980. They were having a very hot summer, with temps up to 110. That was just too damn hot for camping!
We also couldn't figure out how all those French people could drive with the windows closed, but of course we'd never even heard of air-conditioning.

I remember leaving a rainy 55 degree moring in Ireland and landing at JFK at 3:38pm, in early June '85. It was 97 degrees with humidity around 95%. We were all dressed for Irish weather, and as soon as they opened the door to the ramp, the temperature climbed. By the time we made it outside the terminal, we had to stop and basically strip out of our winter woolies.
I loved it - I got used to it fast, as I was working outdoors. I was back in Ireland for a few years after that, and missed the heat. When I moved here permanently, in 1990, I was living on the top floor of a three-story house in Woodlawn (The Bronx) for my first summer. With that flat asphalt roof storing heat, and one tiny window, it was about 20-30 degrees hotter at night than during the day. Needless to say, that mattress didn't move with me to NJ.

Cold is nice too, though. One of my favorite things is a sunny, frosty morning at the top of Killington, breathing that cool, crisp air.

And then again, my wife convinced me to try this in December, and it's pretty good too:

Quick Reply: Which can you cope with better?