S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Can you believe this?

Old 09-22-2008, 05:54 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

I think the cop was a chickensh*t. Since you were well away from others, there was no cause for writing a ticket.
In California, cops cannot write a ticket on private property. (possible exception is handicapped parking) The stop signs at my local market can be ignored except for the one at the street entrance. Nobody can do anything. Two years ago, I was hit while gassing up my 4Runner at a gas station. The jerk even backed up and hit me the second time on purpose. He was required to give me his license and registration information and refused, so I called the cops. They said they couldn't do anything since it was private property. I told them they should come anyway as I had told the guy he was a jerk and he was threatening me. (They did show and got his info for me)
Today I went to a hotel for an all day class I needed. A BMW was parked on top of the line taking up two spaces. But he/she was in the very first space closest to the building. I also thought he was chickensh*t.
You need to confirm before paying that the ticket is valid.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

different states have different laws and i am sure the Officer did not make the laws in Rob's state but he is there to enforce them.

also having a nice looking sports car with "fastest" plate brings attention (wanted and unwanted) add this to parking across the parking lines and you are only asking for trouble

oh and i'm gunning for the vsa title
Old 09-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call the cop a chickenshit, but I am disappointed that he gave me the ticket. I suppose there were many forces at play.

He probably saw my license plate and assumed that the car was owned by a wiseguy type punk kid. I suppose once he made that assumption, the next logical step is to write the ticket just to teach the kid a lesson.

He might've been having a bad day, as Lainey suggested, or maybe he just wanted to flex his muscles. Or maybe he just doesn't like sportscars.

It might also be that the townships here in Northern New Jersey are struggling for money and regard moving and parking violations as another revenue source. Although they deny it, it really seems that the cops have a ticket writing quota. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the department measures productivity. All along our Route 10, Route 46 and other roads in the area, the cops sit poised waiting to give speeding tickets. They always did, but now I see many more tickets being issued than before. In my township a speeding ticket is now $400.00 plus $30.00 court costs. I know that sounds outrageous, I didn't believe it at first either,but it turns out that is the price.

I still don't know how much my fine is, but I'm willing to bet the town of Roxbury/Succasunna will be glad to get it.

Still, considering that I've been parking at an angle (usually within one spot) for the better part of 6+ years and this is my first incident, it seems like a cheap way to avoid door dings. Not that I think the cop was right, but there probably really isn't anything to do but pay.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Bass,Sep 22 2008, 09:26 PM
also having a nice looking sports car with "fastest" plate brings attention (wanted and unwanted) add this to parking across the parking lines and you are only asking for trouble

oh and i'm gunning for the vsa title
I don't disagree. I think that has something to do with it.

As for the VSA title, you've got some mighty tough competition. I'm not sure you have a chance.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:12 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene,Sep 22 2008, 09:11 PM
Vintage Smart A$$. (paS2K currently has that title.)
I have a lot of competition lately, Gene
Old 09-23-2008, 02:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,951 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Correct on the VSA title - get in line, Steve.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:05 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by paS2K,Sep 23 2008, 12:12 AM
I have a lot of competition lately, Gene
Jerry,

Without question you are the Lou Gehrig of VSA. You've held the title for a very long time and have worn the crown well.

I'm not sure that you're going to be able to keep the title though. You now have some very tough competition. You may have to step aside.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 AM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

You are going to have an ulcer before you get to Pebble Beach. We have the same jerks at our beach town. Love to write tickets if you are 1 minute over on the meter than gloat about it. Had this happen last week and I think I still had 1 minute on the meter. The jerk wouldnt even acknowledge my challange so I just paid the $10 and moved on. I also baby my car and park in remote areas but I got a small ding a few months ago and dings are easy repairs if you have the right person which I do. Dont stress out over it too much as life is too short.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by ralper,Sep 23 2008, 07:05 AM
....you are the Lou Gehrig of VSA. .....You now have some very tough competition. You may have to step aside.
^^^^ ...the story of my life
Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by S2KRAY,Sep 23 2008, 09:45 AM
.....Love to write tickets if you are 1 minute over on the meter than gloat about it. Had this happen last week and I think I still had 1 minute on the meter. The jerk wouldnt even acknowledge my challange so I just paid the $10 and moved on. ....
Ray- This may be surprising to all, but Philly has a very lenient policy on writing tickets for Overdue Parking Meters. If you get BACK to the car before the enforcer has FINISHED writing you up, then they (at their discretion, I guess) are able to just give you a warning.....no fine at all

This happened to me a few months ago...as I was chatting with a friend across the street from my car. I saw her and ran across the street in a panic..... I guess she wanted to avoid giving Rob....er, Jerry....a attack and cut me a break

Quick Reply: Can you believe this?