S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Bye Bye, Bermuda

Old 10-31-2008 | 06:37 AM
20 Year Member

Default Bye Bye, Bermuda

"There is a 'Leisure Class' at both ends of the income spectrum"

And for now I don't mind being at the bottom

I resigned two months ago (late August) and stated in my resignation that I was willing to "work until the end of the year if there were any problems finding a qualified replacement."
About a month after that I was calling some of my contacts in the industry who told me that my (now former) boss in Bermuda was calling everyone in my field (looking for a replacement) stating, "He (meaning me) walked off the job and left us hanging." Since there are only about 50 people in the world that do what I do, having any kind of black mark against my name may be a significant hinderance in finding future work. Any vintage advice on how I should handle this situation? I don't want to start calling people randomly and telling them the 'real' story, it seems to me like that might do me more harm than what's already out there. At the same time I don't want to just take this lying down.

I have been officially hired by FAU (Florida Atlantic U) starting in January on a temp basis as a relief Captain and Chief mate, hoping that it will lead to a permanent position back here in FL.

The really funny thing is that the guy who was badmouthing me (who has been in the Oceanographic research community for 20+ years) is being 'downsized' at the end of the year and his interim replacement has only agreed to a 1 year contract. As I was leaving Bermuda yesterday, the CEO and COO of the Institution came to me and asked if I might be interested in returning to Bermuda next year and taking my former supervisors job. SO my prospects are not exactly grim, but I still don't want this false information floating around.
Old 10-31-2008 | 06:52 AM

My initial thoughts are that you might want to compose a letter that could be sent out detailing the true circumstances of your resigning. If you find this former employer is defaming your character I would seek legal advice.

~Steven
Old 10-31-2008 | 08:32 AM

Given that the culprit is being downsized, and that, in your relatively small professional community, this news will spread quickly, I think it's probably wise to let this go, or at least to sit tight for a while and see what evolves. Although he's spread misinformation, it will be tainted in your favor by his loss of credibility. Taking defensive action at this time will reflect poorly on you and might only serve to re-establish some credibility in his direction.

And I hope things work out at HBOI, Mike. Welcome to the U. HPH
Old 10-31-2008 | 08:43 AM

Does your former boss' boss know about this? Problems like this are the reason why most companies I've worked for have rules regulating what you can say about former employees. In most cases it was restricted to "Person X worked here between these dates. They were/weren't fired for cause."
Old 10-31-2008 | 09:14 AM
20 Year Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I have told the entire story to the two friends I heard about the badmouthing from, so hopefully they will get the 'real' story out on my behalf since everyone attends the same conferences, committee meetings, etc.

I was so flummoxed by the tentative future offer of the Dept. Head position yesterday, that I failed to mention it to the CEO or COO, who I would never have approached about it in the blind, since I'm not at all politically involved with upper management and had no desire to cause a managerial fracas.

Traveler, in terms of corporate policy, things in Bermuda are very unlike here, as are the laws governing corporations and institutions. There may be such a policy, but to make an issue of it might be in quite bad form old boy, tut tut. I have listed the President/CEO if the institution as my "Previous Position Supervisor" so if he gets a reference call I'm sure he'll put 2 and 2 together, as it is not a secret that loudmouth and myself did not part on good terms.
Old 10-31-2008 | 10:40 AM
Member (Premium)

I would write a gracious letter to this person stating your position copy the CEO and leave it at that. Your prospects sound very encouraging and stirring the pot might make things more difficult in the future. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2008 | 11:19 AM

I think it's more likely that this guy is putting himself into a hard spot than it is he is putting you into a hard spot.

In the end, people who care to know will find out the true story. People who don't care to know will only be annoyed by your rebuttal anyway. So it's probably best to take the high road, and only explain it to people who ask.

You don't want to get the reputation of carrying on a vindictive campaign against your former supervisor. Let him get that reputation instead.
Old 10-31-2008 | 11:29 AM
20 Year Member

Thanks Mike, that's what I was thinking as well, since sometimes defending against an untrue allegation just brings undue attention to the allegation in the first place. It would be a different story if I was furiously pounding the pavement unable to find a job due to this, but I think this is a "let sleeping dogs lie" situation.
Old 11-01-2008 | 03:11 PM

I agree, best thing to do, is leave it alone.