S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position Tires

Old 09-18-2006, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tachus,Sep 18 2006, 07:32 PM
I'm interested that two people will try the Eagle tires, why?
Also, what's the story on choosing tires one width up?
The Eagle F1 won a comparison test in one of the major magazines. it also gets good reviews on Tire Rack, and I've talked to a few S2000 owners who are using them.

If I remember correctly (and I'm too lazy to go look it up) they are also cheaper than the Bridgestones.

My mechanic can get Falken tires at a big discount, so I may take a look at those too.

The extra width on an aftermarket tire is intended to match the OEM Bridgestones. If you measure the width of the tread that actually contacts the road on the Bridgestone, you'll find it's wider than a non-OEM tire of the same size. It's just the way the tires are manufactured.

To make up for this, people usually go one size wider when ordering new tires.

Again, Jim at Tire Rack will be able to give you info on any specific tire.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:17 AM

Thank you all for your great advice. We had the OEM's fitted to the rear today and are still running the original fronts. I am really surprised that no one is planning to use pole positions on all four wheels when they are available, given their #1 competative rating.
Always glad to help...

I wish I could be more helpful, but all my S2000 tire knowledge is based upon the 16" size, as I have 3 sets of AP1 wheels.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really surprised that no one is planning to use pole positions on all four wheels when they are available, given their #1 competative rating.
It all depends on what you want out of the tire - for me, a street tire does not need to be as good as the OEM SO2 as all I want is half decent tire wear on them. Since I don't really push the tire hard enough on the street a lessor tire is fine.

If I want grip, I have a second set of rims with r compounds...
Old 09-19-2006, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a set of the Eagle F1 GS-D3s on my previous car, an STi, and was sold. In addition to being far more comfortable and quiet, they were almost as solid as the STi OEMs (basically street-legal racing tires) on dry pavement and remarkably good in wet conditions, too. And we have wet in Florida. HPH
Old 09-19-2006, 05:51 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Sep 18 2006, 07:33 PM
xviper is more of less the chief guru of this board. Not to take anything away from anyone else, but xviper knows quite a bit and is always fast with good advice and a helping hand.
Another "Crazy Canuck".!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 05:53 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

If you want the best tires money can buy,get a set of Potenza 01-R,or Advan Neova.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by matrix,Sep 19 2006, 07:22 AM
for me, a street tire does not need to be as good as the OEM SO2 as all I want is half decent tire wear on them. Since I don't really push the tire hard enough on the street a lessor tire is fine.
Come on, tell the truth. You just don't have any roads up there worth driving on so you might as well use a harder rubber compound than the S-02s.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:05 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondDave2005,Sep 18 2006, 07:53 PM
The Eagle F1 won a comparison test in one of the major magazines. it also gets good reviews on Tire Rack, and I've talked to a few S2000 owners who are using them.

If I remember correctly (and I'm too lazy to go look it up) they are also cheaper than the Bridgestones.

My mechanic can get Falken tires at a big discount, so I may take a look at those too.

The extra width on an aftermarket tire is intended to match the OEM Bridgestones. If you measure the width of the tread that actually contacts the road on the Bridgestone, you'll find it's wider than a non-OEM tire of the same size. It's just the way the tires are manufactured.

To make up for this, people usually go one size wider when ordering new tires.

Again, Jim at Tire Rack will be able to give you info on any specific tire.
What Dave said.........
Old 09-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by ralper,Sep 18 2006, 07:33 PM
xviper is more of less the chief guru of this board. Not to take anything away from anyone else, but xviper knows quite a bit and is always fast with good advice and a helping hand.
So knowledgeable,he would have been a super guest speaker,at the Nor'Easter banquet.!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FILTHY BEAST,Sep 19 2006, 08:05 AM
Unfortunately in stock AP1 sizes the rears are way undersized. To get the width you need you have to go way up in diameter which isn't good.

On my Miata the sizes were still undersized but not by that much and since it doesn't use staggered sizes it didn't screw up the handling balance, just the limits.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position Tires