S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Banned from the site

Old 01-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

matrix, I agree with your assertions. It us up to the mods and COs to lead by example. Yes, we can kid and debate and even argue with the rest of the users, but by our own choices we have agreed to help guide the course of this community and, as such, we owe it to every user on this board to treat them with the appropriate respect.

Of course, every once in a while we ALL fall off the wagon, but that fact does not excuse us (mods and COs) from rightfully being held to a higher standard.

I like to think that I mostly live up to that standard. I have my moments where I lose sight of why I'm here, but mostly I try to use reason and moderation and think twice before I type.

I like to think that I am pretty much the same person here as I would be if we were sitting next to each other on a bar stool in a local pub.

That said, I don't know what the answer is regarding mods/COs. Seems to me that mods should be held to the standard where, if they are reported a certain number of times for valid reasons that they be removed as moderators.

These are just thoughts bouncing around in my head. I don't know how to solve the problem, but doing nothing isn't getting us there, so I guess we have to start SOMEWHERE...
Old 01-09-2004, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nothing wrong with kidding, debating or even arguing on the board- this can all be done respectfully. Heck - Triple-H and I started the colour wars - now if that is not the biggest joke on here...I don't know what is (anyone who says the Steelers...I WILL GET EVEN !!!).

My post was in no way directed at you...I don't know you and have not really spoken with you much on the boards - but I have no reason to think you would act any differently in person than you would here. I can tell you I certainly do not - I am the same person here as in the flesh (I even have black hair ). My post is not directed at any one particular mod/co...it is just an observance based on many threads with many different circumstances - that observance being that there is a level of hyporcrisy here - the rules are not applied evenly.

Just by telling a mod/co to f* him/herself does not indicate that this person is disrespectful....this is a community and there is no telling what has happened to lead to that. We are all human, but how we choose to interact with others is a personal decision.

A mod/co has to earn that respect AND work to keep it. Just like a "user" needs to do the same. But you are right...you have to start somewhere. Personally, I would not have started there. I would have started with the NSFW threads, dealt with the people that are ripping others off, threads attacking others, etc. A personal opinion about a car's appearance is not a basis to ban someone imo....but everyone is entitled to thier own opinion on this.

The direction that this community takes is the responsiblity of EVERYONE in here...not just the mods/cos. Another reason why Vintage is the model forum imo....
Old 01-09-2004, 02:47 PM

BTW, if WRS2K left of his own accord...does that not make you step back and ask yourself the question - why?
Old 01-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Former Moderator

matrix,

A couple things. First, I didn't assume you were directing your comments at me. I was merely using myself as an example, because I don't think me pointing fingers at anyone (mods OR users) in this thread would advance the issue. I also used myself because, though pointing fingers doesn't help, having a concrete example to refer to does help...so I offered myself as that concrete example.

As for where we started, whether I agree or not is somewhat irrelevant, because here we are. True, in the "debrief" of all this where we SHOULD have started is a good lesson learned, but the issue facing us now is where to go from here to make not just OUR lives easier as mods, but how to make the environment better for current and future users.

I think you and others have had some valuable input and I will definitely incorporate that input into my efforts to try and steer things w/in the moderator ranks.

I think the hardest balancing act for me at the moment is where to draw the lines. It can't just be about what I like or want...but the direction that the user base wants to head in. Also, how best to collect that information. Do we do it publicly or privately...do we just troll through threads looking for complaints or suggestions or what?

Also, as for why WRS2K left...I can honestly say I don't step back and ask myself why. I don't think it is because he was "scared off" by any threats of banning or by the general decline of the board. He had his personal reasons, but there has been no substantive change in either his behavior nor the boards reaction to that behavior in the entire time I've been on this board. I still expect he will remain a valuable and active (and entertaining and controversial) member of my local community and of that I am glad.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Former Moderator

OK...maybe that was more than a couple things...
Old 01-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,956 Likes on 1,749 Posts

Well, Brant, I can guarantee you that matrix was not talking about you when he referenced the mods/COs. The ones he is talking about wouldn't be on this thread trying to discuss the issue intelligently and to make things better. You are and I thank you for that.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Former Moderator

No problem, oh perky one. Though I spend much of my time knee deep in the darker side of this site, I definitely enjoy a spirited and intelligent discussion/debate.

I figure there is a time and a place for sarcasm and dismissive comments, but this topic deserves serious and open discussion, because it's something that affects us all.

That said, I need another

Old 01-09-2004, 06:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brantshali
As for where we started, whether I agree or not is somewhat irrelevant, because here we are.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Former Moderator

I couldn't agree more...we MUST learn from our past. I think we're getting there...it's just sometimes a slower and more frustrating process than we might like.

Toronto's definitely on my list of places to visit on one of my many trips back east. When I do make it out that way I'll take you up on that now that I'm off the wagon again.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,956 Likes on 1,749 Posts

Hey, Brant, not to go OT here but didn't you say something about being in DC for the SuperBowl? Or did you mean next year when the REDSKINS play!!! God has returned in the form of Joe Gibbs...WOOHOO!!

Quick Reply: Banned from the site