S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Banned from the site

Old 01-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by fltsfshr
Apparantly bill the powers that be have taken to counting the number of ignores you have against you...too many at their discretion and they will ban you from this site.

al least thats how i understand it

fltsfshr
I think this is a little misleading. My understanding is that if the # of ignores becomes significant it is used as an indicator that the powers that be should do some research to try to determine why someone would be on a bunch of people's ignore list. Based upon the outcome of that "investigation" a determination is made whether a suspension or termination is in order. This seems like a very good thing to me.

It seems like this board's management just can't ever win. Everyone complains that the quality/maturity level of the board is in decline. This can largely be attributed to the flame wars that seem to be more common now than they've been in the past. As big as this board is it's impossible for the mods to be aware of EVERY troublemaker. Then they come up with a good way to be alerted about who to investigate and now some people are upset that the board is trying to be proactive in getting rid of the trash.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:27 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

lol i think thats exactly what I said. I was just more succinct.

fltsfshr
Old 01-08-2004, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Strike
Old 01-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bluerooster
Old 01-08-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 513 Likes on 305 Posts

Welcome back Granny

You have never sent a PM or posted anything that offended me.

I think that you need to put this behind you by coming to the get together on Saturday. I will buy you A beverage that will help you forget. Don't forget, you are driving.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Unfortunately the whole issue of banning people from this site is a double edged sword. I'm not sure that banning is ever the answer, but I suppose there are some people whose behavior is so obnoxious that it may be the only remedy. Interestingly, there are a number of people whose behavior is terrible yet they are allowed to remain. Fortunately, they have not yet found their way into Vintage, and all of us here exhibit a certaln level of respect. None of us would tolerate that type of behavior.

The other edge of the sword is not quite so nice. There are people who have been banned, some have returned and left again, for no reason other than the fact that their posts are controversial or that they disagree with some of the moderators or community organizers. I have seen this happen and it is not especially pleasant. Ironically, in some cases this site loses more than the banned person or persons. Some of those banned (or left on their own) made huge contributions to this board in terms of knowledgeable and literary posts. We would all be better off if they still were here.

That said, I don't think that the number of "ignores" should ever be used to determine whether a person is banned, nor do I think that banning is an alternative that should be considered in any but the most extreme cases. There is always a better way to resolve problems. A case in point, I believe is this Vintage Forum.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:02 PM

I thought about how I would handle this if I were the owners of this site. I came up with the analogy of a noisy patron at a restaurant.

I've got one diner who is being loud and obnoxious and ruining many others meal. I ask him to please quiet down. If he does, no problem. If he refuses, I've got no option but to ask him to leave so that I can keep the business of all the other patrons.

Whatever else this board is, it's primarily a business or it wouldn't be here. From what I understand some recently banned patrons were given many warnings and chances to change their behavior. Right or wrong, there were many complaints from others yet the offender refused to change. What's one to do, after many warnings, but to ask them to leave?
Old 01-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Smokee
I thought about how I would handle this if I were the owners of this site. I came up with the analogy of a noisy patron at a restaurant.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
Old 01-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by fltsfshr
Apparantly bill the powers that be have taken to counting the number of ignores you have against you...too many at their discretion and they will ban you from this site.

al least thats how i understand it

fltsfshr
fltsfshr,

What has been stated in several places on the board is that the administrators are, in fact, monitoring ignore lists to see who is being ignored by other user. It has been said, also in numerous places, that this information is NOT intended to automatically trigger someone being banned, but is simply a FACTOR that is considered. When it is noted that a particular person is on a high number of ignore lists it will act as sort of a flag for the admins or mods to research that persons posts to determine if there is actually any "innapropriate" behavior or posting by that user or if there may be other factors in play.

I truly believe that the end goal is not to alienate or isolate people, but simply for us (the mods and admins) to try and get a better handle on the growth that this board has experienced and to help us to grow this community in a positive direction.

Hopefully this sheds some meaningful insight into the situation.

BTW, granny, I'm sorry to hear that you were "out in the cold" and it's good to have you back.

Quick Reply: Banned from the site