S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Auto payments from your checking account

Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts
Default Auto payments from your checking account

For my own budgeting reasons, I'd rather pay some bills monthly vs quarterly, Many companies (insurances to name one) no longer care to offer monthly billing. They will bill you quarterly, or they offer to take your payment directly from your checking account monthly. Some may still bill you, however they tack on billing fees which are getting pricey.

I do pay bills online, but I'd rather select the pay day. I'd prefer not to have several companies dipping into the account every month. I don't leave a ton of $$ in the checking account and I always think I might just forget to make a deposit on time......Also, my +1 does not bother much with the computer, so it's better if "paper" still shows up in the mail, in the event that he has to assume the bill paying job.

I know a few of you folks utilize auto pay, has anyone else crossed over to the other side recently?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Member (Premium)

Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

No, I pay as many bills as I can online with my credit card which I then get points for. I then pay the credit card online from my checking account.

I don't use auto pay because I like to see what the bill is. I know I'd still get a statement but I think I'd just file those quickly and not pay much attention.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nearly every one of my accounts is set up for auto pay. It makes juggling two houses and all the different accounts we have a lot easier. I've been surprised at the reduction in snail mail since going AP.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PokS2k,Sep 23 2010, 11:00 AM
No, I pay as many bills as I can online with my credit card which I then get points for. I then pay the credit card online from my checking account.

I don't use auto pay because I like to see what the bill is. I know I'd still get a statement but I think I'd just file those quickly and not pay much attention.
This is how I do it also. On my home and auto insurance, I also receive a "good payer" reduction. Allstate is also supposed to send you a check if you don't have any accident's for 6 month's. Haven't seen one yet, but if I don't get one after this 6 month period, I'm going to give them a call.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do it the old fashioned way as much as possible.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

I have all my utilities, credit cards, insurance, etc. billed to my bank. The bank then notifies me by email that I have a bill. I use online bp to pay it. I like this soooo much better than snail mail and I never have to worry about it. My income is directly deposited and I always know exactly what I have to work with (or without as the case may be). Oh another little feature is that everytime I pay a bill the bank deposits $1 into a savings account that is my overdraft protection. Amazing how fast those $1 deposits add up.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,745 Posts

I pay pretty much everything with autopay. Also use online payment for my credit card bill. That varies a lot, so want to see it first. I almost never write a check.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Here, too. But my billfold was stolen a couple of months ago and I had to systematically go in to every account and change the CC #. A definite pain -- and I forgot a couple of autopays and quick express checkouts, like Sirius and Amazon.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Bummer... I had to get a new credit card a few months ago when someone charged three tickets to Chile with mine. Hadn't had a fraudulent charge in many years.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,646 Posts

I have several accounts that auto pay onto a credit card which we then pay.
Gives a little more recourse to dispute a charge and they don't have access to our checking account.

a few others like utilities are direct auto-pay.

Quick Reply: Auto payments from your checking account