S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Asking strangers out in stores

Old 01-27-2005, 01:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Asking strangers out in stores

Hi, I'm a single man and would like to increase my chances of meeting someone. There are no prospects at work or church right now. I'm wondering about the propriety of meeting someone in a a grocery store or a bookstore.

For example, say a nice looking woman comes in and she's not wearing a ring. Is it okay to stand next to her and try to strike up a conversation? If she's open and receptive, is it okay to ask her to dinner?

I'm just wondering how everyone feels about this approach.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:54 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Why wouldn't it be o.k.?
Old 01-27-2005, 03:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,964 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Sounds good to me! The worst thing that can happen is she will say no...When you spot someone interesting, ask about a particular product you are thinking of buying - whether it's good or whatever (even if you aren't thinking of buying it). That's a good conversation starter.

And not to dissuade you from your grocery-store pursuits, but you can always try Match.com. Not expensive and you have access to thousands of profiles. It only takes one person to make a match...

Old 01-27-2005, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I think Ms. Perky's right. It really annoys me when a guy comes up to me in the grocery store and starts hitting on me, though (especially since I always wearing my wedding ring), so NO SLOBBERING....just a nice conversation .... maybe about a frozen pizza she has in her cart or some other food item. You tell her about your favorite pizza place and there's your opening to ask her out.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:25 AM

I'm a single female and the chances are virtually nil that I take up with a random stranger I met in the store. It would make my bf unhappy for starters. Then there's the inescapable fact that I think it's a bad idea. Stranger Danger and all of that. I had the good sense not to go off with strangers as a child and a college student, why should I change that very successful policy as an adult?

Seriously, I would be very skeptical about a man who approached me in the frozen foods aisle to discuss his affinity for Red Baron pizza. It's just creepy--and kind of hints at a desperation which may or may not be there.

I'm sure there are lots of women who disagree with me and would be delighted to meet someone over a box of potato flakes. However, I would suggest asking friends and family for introductions to single women before cruising the Piggly Wiggly. Or go to some S2K events!
Old 01-27-2005, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by rjosey8385,Jan 27 2005, 09:09 AM
It really annoys me when a guy comes up to me in the grocery store and starts hitting on me, though (especially since I always wearing my wedding ring),
It's the boots; men just can't help themselves.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:35 AM

Remembering back to my "single again" days, opportunity is where you find it. You will know after a short while if she is at all interested. If you are in a store that has an adjoining coffee shop, you can ask if she would like to take a moment away from shopping for a cup of coffee. Asking someone to dinner after just meeting them can be a turn-off, so you have to play it by ear. Offer to meet them for your first date instead of picking them up at their residence, its a lot less threatening.

You will get your share of annoyed looks and cold stares, but don't give up!

Practice make perfect.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by dean,Jan 27 2005, 08:31 AM
It's the boots; men just can't help themselves.
I shall have to start watching what I wear when I go out then...I don't want to be TOO tempting (maybe I need to go shopping for another pair of boots this weekend). Good! Thanks for the advice, Dean.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:47 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by FO2K,Jan 27 2005, 09:35 AM
Remembering back to my "single again" days, opportunity is where you find it.
That is absolutely right.

I met my wife while waiting for the July 4th, 1979 firworks to start while we were both standing on the old West Side Highway. I innocently asked her if she knew what time the fireworks were supposed to start.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:48 AM

Received 3,207 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Originally Posted by jmc1971,Jan 27 2005, 09:25 AM

I'm sure there are lots of women who disagree with me and would be delighted to meet someone over a box of potato flakes. However, I would suggest asking friends and family for
What are potato flakes????

Are they some kind of instant mashed potato? Am I missing out on some gourmet food?

Quick Reply: Asking strangers out in stores