S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Armor coating

Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 AM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Oct 19 2010, 06:20 PM
^The way OEM's cut corner's, you are lucky to have a steering wheel, let alone a $600. coat of protectant sealer.
Really. Audi, Benz, BMW, Porsche and all the other high-end luxury cars could put on three coats of it and still make a huge profit!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

^That's true, but they make even more if they don't.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Oct 20 2010, 11:21 AM
^That's true, but they make even more if they don't.
Not really. They LOVE having their car's resale value stay high. More $$$ in the pocket for their used ones, leases, etc.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Oct 19 2010, 04:00 PM
I'm sure Jerry would agree
^^
Old 10-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Community Organizer

For what it is worth one of the local members of sister club to Allegheny S2K (Pittsburgh Cars and Coffee) uses a clear bra on his 3 rides (Lamborghini and 2 BMWs). I can get the manufacture info for you guys but he loves the product and I know I would use it on my S2K in a heartbeat if I ever get the front bumper and hood repainted.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:16 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Seems like a good time to chime in with my experience regarding clear bras.

When I purchased my 03 back in 2007 (I think it was) it had a clear bra installed. It was supposedly installed by the original dealer but that info was strictly word of mouth. It did seem to work as advertised, though. There was one very tiny tear in the material from some past road hazzard, but you had to get up pretty close to even find it.

In 2008 on my way to a Dragon event, a semi dropped a tire's worth of tread right in front of me on the Interstate. Traffic in the adjacent lane prevented any avoidance maneuver. The result was serious damage to some of the fender and wheel well liners and the OEM front lip. There was also pretty severe damage to the finish on the driver's side fender, front cap, and hood. So once back home I took the car to a very good local body shop for corrective repainting. This meant replacing the clear bra material from the front cap and driver's side front fender.

The body shop had one heck of a time getting the bra material off. They ended up sanding some of it off. After refinishing everything they applied new clear bra sections to the front cap and fender.

Fast forward to last year. The original passanger fender section of the clear bra started to discolor and crack. A few months later the upper portions of the mirrors which also were protected with original clear bra material started to darken as well. I attribute this to exposure to UV.

So in short, a clear bra that has been on a while may not be easy to remove and could even require a respray of the protected bodywork after removal. And the clear bra may discolor over time if exposed to excess UV.

Of course it should be noted that my car was parked outside night and day a good bit of the time I owned it. Also the original bra material may date back as far as 2007. And I don't have any documentation as to brand or manufacturer.

Just sayin'.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by HannibalACP82,Oct 21 2010, 08:53 AM
For what it is worth one of the local members of sister club to Allegheny S2K (Pittsburgh Cars and Coffee) uses a clear bra on his 3 rides (Lamborghini and 2 BMWs). I can get the manufacture info for you guys but he loves the product and I know I would use it on my S2K in a heartbeat if I ever get the front bumper and hood repainted.
I'd especially be interested, if in fact, it is the Armor Coat.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by tof,Oct 21 2010, 10:16 AM
Seems like a good time to chime in with my experience regarding clear bras.

When I purchased my 03 back in 2007 (I think it was) it had a clear bra installed. It was supposedly installed by the original dealer but that info was strictly word of mouth. It did seem to work as advertised, though. There was one very tiny tear in the material from some past road hazzard, but you had to get up pretty close to even find it.

In 2008 on my way to a Dragon event, a semi dropped a tire's worth of tread right in front of me on the Interstate. Traffic in the adjacent lane prevented any avoidance maneuver. The result was serious damage to some of the fender and wheel well liners and the OEM front lip. There was also pretty severe damage to the finish on the driver's side fender, front cap, and hood. So once back home I took the car to a very good local body shop for corrective repainting. This meant replacing the clear bra material from the front cap and driver's side front fender.

The body shop had one heck of a time getting the bra material off. They ended up sanding some of it off. After refinishing everything they applied new clear bra sections to the front cap and fender.

Fast forward to last year. The original passanger fender section of the clear bra started to discolor and crack. A few months later the upper portions of the mirrors which also were protected with original clear bra material started to darken as well. I attribute this to exposure to UV.

So in short, a clear bra that has been on a while may not be easy to remove and could even require a respray of the protected bodywork after removal. And the clear bra may discolor over time if exposed to excess UV.

Of course it should be noted that my car was parked outside night and day a good bit of the time I owned it. Also the original bra material may date back as far as 2007. And I don't have any documentation as to brand or manufacturer.

Just sayin'.
I think that I would get it on the front bumper cover only. This is where the majority of the chipping / cracking damage is located. Also, my car stays in the garage every night, with the exception, of the S2K events.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Oct 21 2010, 02:32 PM
As soon as I hear back I will post up and include a link to the product!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Oct 21 2010, 02:32 PM
He doesn't use Armour Coat. He uses a 3m product:

http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html

If the film is damaged he can peel and replace. If a coating is damaged he said "what then....repaint?" He has had some small rock chips but they have only damaged the film...nothing through to the paint.

Quick Reply: Armor coating