S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Anyone worried about plumbing fixtures "freezing"?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone worried about plumbing fixtures "freezing"?

Reading MsPerky's Master Bath Renovation brought this to mind.

Here is the situation, we have an empty nest with more bathrooms than we need. All we ever use is the master bath. I've had really bad experiences in the past with plumbing fixtures "seizing" or "freezing". For example, we once had a leaking faucet and when I reach under the sink to turn the shut-off valve, the valve broke because it hasn't been turned for years and years. Water was everywhere and I had to call a plumber to replace the shut-off valve. I also had a similar experience with the shut-off valve below a toilet tank. If we don't use our toilet for a week, the rubber bulb would get stuck in the tank and it will not flush using the handle. I'll have to open the top to yank on the chain to free it. I'm afraid that faucets or showers that aren't used for long periods of time will "dry out" (any rubber gaskets or caulking) and the next time it is used will have a major leak.

So what to do? Is there any preventive maintenance routines for unused bathrooms? Suggestions? Or am I worrying for nothing?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:44 PM

Do this:

Get yourself a can of beer (or glass of wine or a your favorite cocktail or whatever, even a joint) and wander around your giant empty nest, flushing toilets and turning on and off faucets as you go.

Do this once a week, and it'll all be good. Be sure to take a side trip back to the kitchen or bar as needed, if the estate is large enough. HPH
Old 05-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're really worried about it, turn the water shut-off valves to the faucets, toilets, etc. about once every 3 months. That should be more than enough to eliminate that possibility.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 118 Likes on 79 Posts

just use them. We have an empty nest with 3 1/2 baths. Elaine and I use the Master bath, but I also use the other one upstairs a couple of times a week. We also have a full bath in the finished basement. I'll use that one when when I workout. The dog is bathed in that one.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All I know is I use my plumbing regularly, wouldnt want it to freeze

Old 05-13-2010, 03:23 AM

Received 2,716 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Those quarter-turn valves last a long time. Is that what you have under your sinks and toilets? If not, it may be a good idea to replace the valves. Just go around as others said and turn/flush. My condo maintenance crew just had a valve replacement project, but I didn't need them because I had remodeled the kitchen and baths.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:51 AM

Received 118 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,May 13 2010, 07:23 AM
Those quarter-turn valves last a long time. Is that what you have under your sinks and toilets? If not, it may be a good idea to replace the valves. Just go around as others said and turn/flush. My condo maintenance crew just had a valve replacement project, but I didn't need them because I had remodeled the kitchen and baths.

We had all of our shutoffs replaced on our furnace and hot water heater to the quarter turn valves.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by DrCloud,May 12 2010, 04:44 PM
Do this:

Get yourself a can of beer (or glass of wine or a your favorite cocktail or whatever, even a joint) and wander around your giant empty nest, flushing toilets and turning on and off faucets as you go.

Do this once a week, and it'll all be good. Be sure to take a side trip back to the kitchen or bar as needed, if the estate is large enough. HPH
Couldn't agree more. Also if you do not use sinks / tubs and if the water in the elbow dries out you stand the chance of sewer gas making its way into your abode.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:22 AM

Received 2,716 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Ewwww...that's a nice thought.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Are the "quarter turn shut off valves" available at Home Depot or Lowes? I supposed replacing the shut off valve would also require replacing the hose that connects the valve to the faucet, and that is a pain because I can't work in such tight spaces.

Quick Reply: Anyone worried about plumbing fixtures "freezing"?