S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Anyone Store Their S Offsite?

Old 01-26-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep mine at the airport in a hangar with my plane, most hangars with high wing planes have plenty of room to park a car in too. Maybe you could get with a local pilot and talk him into letting you park it for a little rent?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zeke19332,Jan 26 2006, 07:59 PM
I keep mine at the airport in a hangar with my plane, most hangars with high wing planes have plenty of room to park a car in too. Maybe you could get with a local pilot and talk him into letting you park it for a little rent?
Knowing Carm, he'll just buy a plane....only to provide a sheltered place to store the S
Old 01-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

For all the years that Liz and I lived in Manhattan we parked our car in other locations. Our loft was in an old factory building with no basement parking.

Originally we parked on top of a gas station's roof all the way downtown. It was awful. We'd avoid using the car because it was such a hassle to get to and bring back. When we did use it, it was filthy and oftentimes nicked and dented. The only advantage of this was that it was cheap, but I'd never consider parking an S2000 there.

After that we moved the car a few blocks away from where we lived into a multistory parking garage. The conditions were better, but we had to make an appointment to get the car. The attendent had to bring it down to us, and we had to call at least 45 minutes in advance. Granted the only time we used the car was when we wanted to leave the city, but still, it was a royal pain to get it. In addition, it was about 4 times more expensive than the downtown spot, and our car still got scratched and abused.

My point in mentioning these is simply to say that the further away you are from the S the less you will enjoy owning it, the more at risk it becomes, and the less you will use it.

The only two good alternatives that I've heard for you so far are to find a way to keep one of your other cars outside or rent a space in a neighbors garage. The advantage of using a neighbors garage is that the car is where you can see it and near enough that you will use it.

I'd be willing to bet that if you park it off site (further than a neighbors garage), you will very shortly wonder why you own it, use it very little, and possibly get rid of it.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 521 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by JSfetko,Jan 25 2006, 03:13 PM
The S goes in your garage and one of your everyday cars stays outside.
If you don't feel like brushing the snow off or scraping the ice off the windows of your daily driver in the morning, either stay home or call a taxi.

Now that our S is no longer my daily driver, it is tucked in with it's cover over it in our garage that we had built. I did not believe our contractor when he told us that the way that he insulated our attached (on one wall) garage that he guaranteed that it would not freeze. Over the last few winters I have left a bottle of water on my work bench and even during cold snaps with single digit temps it has never even had ice in the bottle let alone freeze.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:34 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

You need to get one of these:

Car Lift

We've thought about this, but don't have enough overhead space.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:10 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K,Jan 26 2006, 02:48 PM
If your garage has a high loft ceiling, how about one of those pneumatic 'car jacks'? I guess a 12' ceiling height would be required or else:
Val- The car lift is a great idea....why didn't someone else think of that
Old 01-27-2006, 04:12 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

[QUOTE=paS2K,Jan 27 2006, 08:10 AM] Val-
Old 01-27-2006, 04:55 AM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jan 25 2006, 07:33 PM
It can be parked in the drive, of course. Just can't be left there overnight and at all times.
You won't find any car lovers in that neighborhood and you certainly wouldn't find me living there. At the moment four of my five cars are garaged and there's room for the 5th if I moved a boat outside but I can't imagaine giving up my rights to use my driveway anyway I wish. Sounds like a Nazi camp to me.

$75 mo is not out of line for secure storage IMHO.

When I didn't have all my garage space I use to store my sports car on my back porch/covered patio. I would remove the screens drive the car in and then cover the 8' screens with blue board. Imagine doing that in your condo.

Storing a car off site in the winter is one thing. Storing it off site all the time would be a big PITA and I suspect over time the car would get less and less use. Frankly, I think the car lift would be a PITA, as well, only less so.

As you can quess, car storage would have been a major consideration in my relocation. Since it wasn't a big factor for you I suggest using the car port in the sunny south, as Jerry suggested. Something tells me it's in a decent neighborhood. Toss on the factory car cover and no one will pay it any attention.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,Jan 27 2006, 08:55 AM
You won't find any car lovers in that neighborhood...
^ On the contrary. My next door neighbor has a Vette under cover in her garage. When people DOWNSIZE, it means they...well...downsize. That means less stuff. Reduction of clutter. Simplifying their lives. That's a big reason why we're doing this. We've done the big house thing already and can do it again if we wanted to. We just don't. When you've got a lot of "stuff" you become a slave to it IMHO. At least that's my experience. Why 2 people who don't work need 3 cars is one of those nagging questions. If I had to own a vehicle for every need then I'd also have a pickup truck as it would be handy from time to time.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=valentine,Jan 27 2006, 06:12 AM] I was thinking that this morning and don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

Quick Reply: Anyone Store Their S Offsite?