S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Anyone Store Their S Offsite?

Old 01-25-2006, 06:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone Store Their S Offsite?

We're selling our house with the 3 car garage where the S sits comfortably undercover with a steady flow of juice from an intelligent battery tender. We've bought a place with a 2 car garage. Meaning...I'll have to find a place to store the S. One option is my office where we have underground parking. It costs $75/month. I'm looking for something closer and less expensive. A neighbor with an extra garage space would be perfect, but unlikely. Does anyone else store their S offsite? What's it like? A P.I.A.? How much do you pay? What should I look for? How will I know my S will be safe from vandals, theft and other potential damage?

As an aside, as I was thinking of my options, it came to me that this might be a good business idea. Rent some space at an abandoned warehouse and rent it out for car storage. I think the biggest expense would be insurance.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:54 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Carmen- Why don't you move the S to Myrtle Beach and use it as your second car there....since you will be alternating months, eh? If I had a shore house, I think that's what I would do. You wouldn't even HAVE to mothball the S in that case....maybe a quality car cover if you don't have available garage space there?

This plan would make the time in Carolina even more special....
Old 01-25-2006, 07:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have stored cars away from home in the past ('66 Pontiac Catalina and a '72 Pontiac LeMans Sport - sorry I just like talking about 'em ) and it was pretty much a PITA. If you wanna go for a drive you have to go to the car, coordinate where to park the one you drove and then always save time at the end of the day for the transfer. Plus the fact that you couldn't just walk out and slobber over the car anytime you wanted too .

As far as cost, the cheaper places had their issues. One Sunday I went over to the Catalina and found dozens of muddy paw prints all over it! (I know, but try finding a cover for a car a half a city block long) The furry little bastard had come in through a hole in the wall behind some boxes. Security systems, complete walls ( ), etc. will drive the monthly fee up obviously. The best arrangement I ever had was renting out a huge place with a bunch of friends. Doubled as a cool hang out as a bonus .
Old 01-25-2006, 08:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jan 25 2006, 07:35 AM
...I'll have to find a place to store the S. One option is my office where we have underground parking. It costs $75/month. I'm looking for something closer and less expensive. A neighbor with an extra garage space would be perfect, but unlikely. Does anyone else store their S offsite? What's it like? A P.I.A.? How much do you pay? What should I look for? How will I know my S will be safe from vandals, theft and other potential damage?

As an aside, as I was thinking of my options, it came to me that this might be a good business idea. Rent some space at an abandoned warehouse and rent it out for car storage. I think the biggest expense would be insurance.
I didn't think about the winters in NY until after I bought my S2000. I didn't like the idea of having snow on the convertible top, and quite frankly, the roads aren't plowed well enough around my house for me to feel comfortable taking it out in the snow. Our house does not have a garage. This year I've taken it off the road from Nov 30th until the middle of March. I dropped the insurance down to the minimal coverage for a still financed/stored vehicle for that time. Luckily, my parent's garage is vacant and I can store it there for the winter. Next year I won't be so lucky.
I'm thinking of buying one of those 'portable' garages or a carport--something I can build on my property--with minimal impact to my taxes---to give it at least some protection.
There are garage stalls for rent in my town. They go for $150.00+ a month.

:-)
Planky
Old 01-25-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an idea, why not store your S in MY garage! I'll start it for you and even put miles on it to keep it runnung good. Here in Western PA we have a lot of locations to store cars. The most popular are old mushroom mines security is good the downfall is once you pull in you can't get it out till Spring. What about those storage garages? Cost is high $60.00 a month but you always have access.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:15 AM

Buy a different house Just joking. But I am curious, why go from a 3 car down to a 2 car in the new house? Was it not high on your priority list or did you just find "the right" house that happened to only have a 2 car garage? I have a 4+ car attached garage and I knew from day 1 I will never be happy with a garage any smaller then the one I have now.
M
Old 01-25-2006, 09:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by markh1121,Jan 25 2006, 01:15 PM
Buy a different house Just joking. But I am curious, why go from a 3 car down to a 2 car in the new house? Was it not high on your priority list or did you just find "the right" house that happened to only have a 2 car garage? I have a 4+ car attached garage and I knew from day 1 I will never be happy with a garage any smaller then the one I have now.
M
We're downsizing because we are splitting our time between the great white north and the sunny south. So it doesn't make sense to have this large house.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,539 Likes on 1,915 Posts

You know Jonas stores his S for the winter. What about getting yours a hardtop (its own personal garage) and parking it outside? Is there too much snow for that?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:35 AM

Old 01-25-2006, 10:13 AM

The S goes in your garage and one of your everyday cars stays outside

Quick Reply: Anyone Store Their S Offsite?