S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Anyone With An Ipod?

Old 12-12-2006 | 06:42 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Carmen, I just bought a 30 GB iPod two weeks ago because Costco had them ($240.00). I'm not real smart with computers so I just downloaded the iTunes like the directions said to do, for free. With that, I put one of my CDs in my computer CD player, and the computer asked me if I want it to be put in my music library. I clicked yes, and then once it loaded the CD (took a while), if I connect the iPod to the computer too, it loads it into the iPod. It's pretty easy if I can do it.

I also bought a Altec Lansing inMotion portable sound system at Costco for $150.00. You can put the iPod or the other little Nanos in it and it plays them nice and loud. I got it to take back to Ohio and Pennsylvania last week and it sounded great. It gets plugged in and it charges the iPod while you use it.
Old 12-12-2006 | 06:52 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA,Dec 12 2006, 06:04 PM
I have a 20 GB I-Pod that I have had for about two years. The only regret that I have is that there is NO interface to the head unit for the 2003 S's stock radio. If there where it would plug into where the CD changer unit would plug in to the head unit and display the I-Pod like a CD with all of my playlists, etc.

I have made do with a Monster FM modulator/charger that I can tune to an unused FM frequency and transmit from the I-Pod to the FM antenae while at the same time charging the I-Pod. I have 4140 files on it (17.93 GB) that translates to 12.3 days (295.2 hours) of listening, and never hearing the same tune twice. It is great on road trips.

In the Infiniti, which has a Bose AM/FM/CD/Cassette system I use the Monster to power the I-Pod and a Cassette adapter to listen. The quality is better than broadcasting to the FM side of the antenae (which at best is FM quality, not close to digital quality).

One word of advice. make certain that you have enough room on your hard drive to store your music and manipulate your play lists after the fact as I-Tunes needs the files on the C drive to do that.

If you like music you will love an I-Pod.
I have an 02 S2000 and I bought the $60 cable from Crutchfield that plugs a 3.5mm jack into the CD changer port of the OEM headunit. It doesn't charge the Ipod, but it gives CD quality audio.

I had an FM modulator on a previous vehicle and the sound quality:

The battery life on my Nano is long enough that I haven't had a problem. A $15 Ipod car charger can be used for power if need be.

As for the displaying text on the headunit... my Ipod is mounted in view and within reach. Why have it displayed on the headunit when it's already displayed in better font on the Ipod.....
Old 12-13-2006 | 03:43 AM
20 Year Member

There are two main type of MP3 players out there :

Hard disk based ones (Standard 30/60GB IPod or Zune etc)
Flash Memory based ones (IPod Shuffle/Nano etc)

Each type may or may not suit your needs depending on what you plan on doing with it.

The flash memory bases ones are more robust (dropping them won't bust the hard drive) and smaller too. The downside is that they won't hold as many songs as the hard disk based ones.

If you want to copy you whole collection of music onto one then a hard drive one would be the best option. It works well when you just move it from place to place (to the car, on the plane etc)

If you want one that you can take to the gym or mow the lawn with then I would recommend a flash memory based one.

I personally have an old hard drive based one (Dell 15GB) and an older IPod shuffle. I would say I use my shuffle more now. I create my own playlists and then load. I have an standard 3.5 jack adapter in the car that I can plug either of them into.

I recently bought my son a Creative Labs Zen V which is a 1GB flash memory unit. It has a color screen and only cost $80. Its really small and I would have taken it over my shuffle if it had been available.

The only downside for me with the shuffle is that it does not have a display. Apart from that it is really good. The new one that just came out is even smaller.

Also any player out there will allow you to copy your collection of MP3's onto it. Some have a better PC interface than others. I'm not a big fan of the ITunes interface. The Zen V uses the Windows Media Player to copy stuff onto it. It works very nicely.

Hope that helps
Old 12-13-2006 | 06:21 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

I have a Creative Zen Micro. I like it, and I like the fact that I doesn't want a proprietary format for the music and I agree that I find the PC interface more to my liking. It will not accept the Apple proprietary format, but it will accept and playback WMAs, MPAs, WAVs and couple others. It also has a FM radio and an eq on board.

I have used it with an FM modulator with mixed results (the RDX has a Aux jack, and it works great there.
Old 12-13-2006 | 06:37 AM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

I have a 80G iPod video that has 3Gigs free. I have mp3's, AAC (Apples proprietary format), WAV (MS format) files all loaded. iTunes doesn't care where the music comes from, it will happily import tunes and then transfer them to your iPod. I also have software that allows me to back up and transfer files to and from my iPod. A great time saver when you upgrade iPods (also nice to have when you manage to delete all your songs). I use the iTunes software in the Party Shuffle mode and let it play. I have about 35 days of non-repeating music (actually much more because it doesn't run 24 hours a day). I have 80% of my music collection on the iPod which makes it really nice when you spend 10 hours on an airplane. iPod or Zune? Doesn't matter, important thing is to look carefully at both and pick the one that fits your lifestyle. One thing I would suggest is that you throw away the ear buds that come with either and get a decent set of headphones.
Old 12-13-2006 | 07:21 AM

My recommendation after you get the iPod: do *not* install iTunes. Spend the $25 or $30 and get Anapod. A lot fewer headaches, and it's easier to use.

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/
Old 12-13-2006 | 07:35 AM

I bought the IPOD 30 GB Video specifically for the S2000 this summer. I absolutly love it! It is awesome to have every song at my fingertip when driving, or flying on a plane.

I pulled the factory head unit in favor of an Alpine CDA9857:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/prod...?model=CDA-9857

It has the high speed direct IPOD interface, and fits into the S2000 dashboard perfectly. The IPOD lives (locked up) in the glovebox and is controlled by the Alpine Head Unit just as you would have with the IPOD itself. Also added the PAC Dashboard Control Interface, so the controls work with the new Head Unit. The S-PODs completed the audio upgrade :-).. VERY pleased with this configuration.

Good luck!

John
Old 12-13-2006 | 07:51 AM
Former Moderator

Did you find any delay with the PAC controller?
Old 12-13-2006 | 12:20 PM

Unfortuantly, yes there seems to be ~200 mS delay from the PAC controller. At first, it was annoying, but I have adjusted my switch pressing to hold any button slightly longer... I built an inverter for the Mute button (which connects to the Alpine Interrupt line), and that has no delay since it does not route through the PAC. I have the direct wire PAC that plugs into the rear of the Alpine through a 1/8" jack (not the IR version).

The IPOD interface on the Alpine is very fast though and pretty much flawless.

Modfry's control claims to have eliminated this issue, but I don't have experience with it.
Old 12-13-2006 | 02:18 PM

I'm a long time iPod user. Had to retire my 1st gen after dropping it about 5 feet onto the floor last spring. Replaced it with a 4GB nano. About the same storage and no worries about dropping it. Picked up an 80GB iPod in October so now I have two working iPods. Most of the time I listen to them through Etymotic ER4-P earbud speakers. Cuts external noise by about 25 db. This allows me to enjoy music with the top down at 80 mph. They are a bit expensive but the ER6 earbuds are about $100 and sound almost as good.

http://www.etymotic.com/?crcat=ppc&crsourc...e&crkw=etymotic

On my trip to Oregon in September I listened to music with the top down on I-15 & I-84 from Salt Lake City to Portland. No wind noise with those suckers in my ears. I did have to jack up the heat along the Columbia River as it was a bit cool going through the gorge.

Quick Reply: Anyone With An Ipod?