S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Anyone Bought or Sold a Vehicle on EBay?

Old 09-13-2004, 04:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone Bought or Sold a Vehicle on EBay?

We're thinking of selling one there. What have your experiences been?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My St. Petersburg Mercedes dealer sold my 2000 S2k on EBay to a guy in Mississippi, and shipped the car out to him.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:35 AM

I bought my Paco Belle on e-Bay. Drove to North Carolina to pick it up. No problems.

Gerry
Old 09-14-2004, 01:53 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Don't sell to anyone that wants to pay with a cashiers check made out for more than you want, and you refund the difference. You've heard that scam haven't you? EBAY does not filter them out.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris,Sep 14 2004, 02:53 PM
Don't sell to anyone that wants to pay with a cashiers check made out for more than you want, and you refund the difference. You've heard that scam haven't you? EBAY does not filter them out.
^I haven't heard of that scam. What's up?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't heard of that either. I thought a cashiers check and certified check were basically approved by the bank they were drawn on. The bank guarantees there is money to cover it. No?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:39 PM

^ that's what I thought..it's basically like cash.

I have not heard of that one either...details????
Old 09-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I don't know about the cashier's check/auto scam, but there is an e-mail scam going on. When you agree to host funds from Nigeria (or some other African or Asian nation) and supply your account numbers you are sent a cashier check as a sign of "goodwill". The check is a fake and it will be dishonored by your bank, but not before your account is cleaned out.

Probably in this case the cashiers check is a fake and you are out the car and any additional money given as change for the cashiers check.

Do not assume that any cashiers check is real. Check it out before giving merchandise or currency.

Be very careful. The fraudsters are very clever.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:22 PM

Rob, do you know how they can clear out your account? Seems like the bank should have some safeguards against this?????
Old 09-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by matrix,Sep 14 2004, 07:22 PM
Rob, do you know how they can clear out your account? Seems like the bank should have some safeguards against this?????
Marco,

I don't have first hand experience with this fraud. None of my clients, fortunately, have fallen into this trap. I believe that the person is convinced that he/she is going to get a good amount of money simply by making his/her account available to host funds from overseas. Generally, the original e-mail talks of the millions of dollars left in an account that would be turned over to the taxing authorities if not claimed or moved out of the country. To make a long story short, the victims part of the deal is to make an account available to receive the funds by providing the fraudster with the account numbers and access to the account. Often the fake cashier's check or bank check is sent as a sign of good will. The victim is advised not to access his/her account for a period of a few days. That is enough time for the cashier's check to bounce unnoticed and for the fraudster to clear out the account. Remarkably the victim has given access to the account, and the bank is simply doing as told.

There is currently another similar scam going on. It involves an e-mail from a bank or credit card company. Typically, the recipient holds that credit card or banks at that bank. Right now the prime targets are Citibank and Discover card holders. In any event, the e-mail states that the bank or card company is updating it's files and needs information such as account numbers and passwords. Be advised that legitimate institutions do not and will not request the information via e-mail. If you do receive one of these, do not respond. If you have any questions call the "800" number on the back of your credit card or bank statement. Make sure to reconcile your account every month.

Be very careful of any e-mail you receive. Particularly if the deal or offer seems too good to be true. It is amazing how many people fall into these scams.

Again, be very careful, the fraudsters are very clever.

Carmen, I'm sorry for hijacking this thread, but this is very important information for the protection of everyone.

Quick Reply: Anyone Bought or Sold a Vehicle on EBay?