S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Another HS Shooting

Old 09-05-2024, 03:39 AM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
14 year old in custody. How sad. Ray, I don't think lunatic is appropriate. This child (and at 14 he is a child) must have had major issues. He will be treated like an adult, if I read that correctly.

If the weapon used belonged to his parents, they need to be held accountable. If you keep guns in your home, they need to be secured properly. Locked.
Yes, sorry. My bad for saying that. This is the world we live in today. Sad, but these events are not going to go away. It just makes me sick and angry every time these tragic events happen and innocent people are killed. Not to mention the devastating effect it has on their families.
Old 09-05-2024, 05:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 991 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
I agree about the parents being held responsible for being irresponsible gun owners and not keeping their guns locked up. How else would a fourteen year old have a gun?

I am willing to bet that this kid played violent video games and is somehow delusional that he can just press the reset button and start over? I also wonder what social media may have played a role in this?

Any thoughts?
That's about as 1985 Tipper Gore as you can get.

I grew up with video games violence, my friends did, my class mates did. While I'm sure there's some small percentage (tiny even) that can't separate game from life, I bet that same group can't separate other things effectively and have issues, not tied specifically to gaming.

I think social media is another, much bigger target here, many reasons already stated. It just moves so fast, without any repercussion or removal/cleaning afterwards. Online or not, it's still bullying.

I have no kids. I can't imagine what parenting must be like, but ultimately, I still feel like its the home life provided, discipline expected, value system taught that is what creates a sense of "right and wrong". I also won't deny that there are parts of the populate that face different cultural issues, and an endless battle against outside factors that make it even more difficult to both parent and grow up.
Old 09-05-2024, 06:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,642 Posts

How else would a fourteen year old have a gun?
It's Georgia. There are NO restrictions on gun sales. There are no licenses required.
They publicly identified the 14 year old. Headed for adult trial.
Humbly(?) I submit they should have to have a judicial review of competence prior to releasing identity and moving case to adult court.
Old 09-05-2024, 07:16 AM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts

As long as they don't show his picture or qlorify him it's fine with me. The country will never spend the money it would take to make a real dent in mental health. The country will never address the gun issues head-on.
Old 09-05-2024, 01:33 PM

Received 3,766 Likes on 2,657 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
That's about as 1985 Tipper Gore as you can get.

I grew up with video games violence, my friends did, my class mates did. While I'm sure there's some small percentage (tiny even) that can't separate game from life, I bet that same group can't separate other things effectively and have issues, not tied specifically to gaming.

I think social media is another, much bigger target here, many reasons already stated. It just moves so fast, without any repercussion or removal/cleaning afterwards. Online or not, it's still bullying.

I have no kids. I can't imagine what parenting must be like, but ultimately, I still feel like its the home life provided, discipline expected, value system taught that is what creates a sense of "right and wrong". I also won't deny that there are parts of the populate that face different cultural issues, and an endless battle against outside factors that make it even more difficult to both parent and grow up.
ah yes that was the point I was trying to make, it is bullying but these days it is all done on line and through social media. Given how easy it is to bully people from a keyboard it must be more prevalent not compared to the past where you actually had to say things to the face of others. Now just type your opinion and hit send.

The following users liked this post:
Heyitsgary (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 01:42 PM

Received 418 Likes on 382 Posts

Peer pressure - Wikipedia
Old 09-05-2024, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
wow, that's really in-depth ...
Old 09-05-2024, 02:54 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,745 Posts

This kid was going through a contentious divorce between his parents. He had been investigated for threats made last year at a different school so transferred to his current school just this year. His father owns numerous guns and knew of his son’s issues, but bought him the weapon (an AR-15!!!!) as a holiday present. Shocking… no further comment.
Old 09-05-2024, 03:01 PM

Good Dad, hope he gets the same results as the Good Dad in Michigan got...... who's now in prison.
Old 09-05-2024, 03:17 PM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
As long as they don't show his picture or qlorify him it's fine with me. The country will never spend the money it would take to make a real dent in mental health. The country will never address the gun issues head-on.
I agree Dave. My daughter is a licensed clinical social worker and said there is a great need for more health workers but agrees that no funds will be available to help these people who suffer from mental illness. The gun control efforts we have in place are a joke. Just another example of our dysfunctional government.

Quick Reply: Another HS Shooting