S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Am I the only one who misses Johnny Carson?

Old 08-31-2004, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one who misses Johnny Carson?

I just got to thinking about good ol' Johnny and was wondering if anyone else kinda missed the guy?

His show was great! Nearly everything that happened was scripted, but Johnny made the whole thing seem so spontaneous. His timing was flawless and he could feed a comedian straight lines in the form of an interview and make them look brilliant in the process. In the later years, he had a pretty light work schedule, but was still a "legend in his spare time".

What's more, he has INTEGRITY. How many entertainers actually STAY retired? Although NBC has offered him boatloads of money just to make token appearances, Johnny insists that he meant it when he said he was through. (I wish he was lying... I still want him back)

Growing up, I always wanted to be in show biz. For me, the pinnacle wasn't an Oscar or a star on the walk of fame, it was to sit on that sofa next to Johnny. I guess I'll just have to settle for the Oscar

I have many great Johnny memories, but I'll open it up if anyone want's to share their own favorite Johnny moment or story.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:25 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

I miss him. I thought Letterman was a natural replacement and would quickly make us forget about Johnny, only it didn't happen that way.

He was truly one of a kind. I can't put my finger on what made his show so special, but it was.

I miss his opening dialogue.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:39 PM

I remember Carnak once "seeing" the mysterious answer: "a, b, c, d, e, f, & g". Ed McMahon then opened the envelope to reveal the question: "What were the predecessors to Preparation H?"

I loved the way the audience would burst with delight when Ed would utter those immortal words...

"I hold in my hand, the final envelope."
Old 08-31-2004, 08:02 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I thought for sure he would do something else after he left the Tonight Show.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No Bill. He actually hated the spotlight/attention as I learned later on. He is a very private man and was eager to disappear into the shadows.

One small caviat though, I saw his Corvette (86 ish, white and nothing special) go up for auction this year at the Barret-Jackson event. It got a little over what it should have because it was Johnny's.

I miss him too!!!
Old 09-01-2004, 12:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by ralper,Aug 31 2004, 07:25 PM
I can't put my finger on what made his show so special, but it was.
I think it was class that made Johnny so special
Old 09-01-2004, 04:00 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,971 Likes on 1,757 Posts

I loved The Johnny Carson Show and miss him, too! I always watch "The Best of..." when they replay it on TV. My favorites are Carnak and the tomahawk throwing with Ed Ames (?).
Old 09-01-2004, 04:27 AM

^ with all the comments. I also watch "The Best Of..." commercials.

I loved the Tea Time Movie spots with Carol Wayne (may she rest in peace), especially the map and directions to whatever outfit he was shilling for (remember "take the Slauson Cutoff *AND CUT OFF YOUR SLAUSON!!!*")

I also enjoyed the spots with the two trainers from the San Diego Zoo with the animals.

I think one of the things that made Johnny what he was, was his ability to allow himself to be poked fun at (especially by himself). He never failed to put himself into strange, often dangerously self-deprecating situations, just for "the bit".

Nothing against Jay Leno as a person, but I feel he is a pale shadow of Johnny on the Tonight show.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by tomcatt,Sep 1 2004, 04:27 AM
^ with all the comments. I also watch "The Best Of..." commercials.
Does anyone else own the "Best of the Tonight Show" (or something similar) video tapes? I think it was 4-tapes together. But each tape is not too long (90 minutes, I think), I wish they were longer. I miss ("Heeeeeeere's") Johnny too.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:55 AM

I liked the jokes he liked so well he'd repeat them year after year. He'd say "The curse of the Krellman diamond." Ed would ask "What is the curse of the Krellman diamond?" Johnny would shout "MRS. KRELLMAN!" and then laugh for a half a minute. His favorite cartoon which he had on the wall of his office depicted two long haired, bearded men in tattered clothes hanging by their wrists in chains to the wall. Obviously been there forever, and would die there. One is turned to the other and says: "Now here's my plan."

My Doctor is an ear nose and wallet man.

Two favorite names: Grab Cockrun and Bess Natch.

Yes. He's gone. But everyone from Letterman to Stewart does him. A living tribute.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who misses Johnny Carson?