S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

All Things Automotive

Old 10-12-2022, 09:22 AM

Received 3,796 Likes on 2,675 Posts

After a six month wait we pick up a new Subaru WRX this afternoon. They put the car in their showroom a couple days ahead of pick-up and it stays all shiny and clean.

On delivery they will have us drive it out of their showroom through some double doors, it is a fun process driving out of the showroom and the car is all cozy warm and clean even on days of inclement weather. On other cars we've purchased at this dealership they would give us a high-end gift basket full of snack foods , will see if that continues.

The following 4 users liked this post by zeroptzero:
dlq04 (10-12-2022), Hertz Donut (10-19-2022), NNY S2k (10-12-2022), robb (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 11:04 AM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Took the S to the day job yesterday and today since time is getting short. Turned out to be a beautiful afternoon today so put the top down for the ride home.
The following users liked this post:
poorshoeless (10-12-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
After a six month wait we pick up a new Subaru WRX this afternoon. They put the car in their showroom a couple days ahead of pick-up and it stays all shiny and clean.

On delivery they will have us drive it out of their showroom through some double doors, it is a fun process driving out of the showroom and the car is all cozy warm and clean even on days of inclement weather. On other cars we've purchased at this dealership they would give us a high-end gift basket full of snack foods , will see if that continues.

Soooooooooooo how is it???????????????
Old 10-14-2022, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by robb
Soooooooooooo how is it???????????????
I really enjoy driving it Rob, it feels great all around. It is an evolutionary change over the last gen. I got the mid-level sport model which has everything I need. It is definitely quieter inside the cabin, the exhaust still has some nice sound but less entering the cabin. It handles better, the chassis is stiffer, perfect suspension. The steering is very light, but I like lighter steering compared to heavier. Technology and safety upgrades are good. The new powertrain is smoother, electronic wastegate control is smoother. You need to push the pedal down further to build boost faster, it is likely due to the electronic wastegate. Interior differences are nice, I like the new steering wheel. The infotainment is nice, and the stereo is better than I expected. I'm still trying to see how the fuel economy compares in the real world, but the overall driving experience is nice, a bit more refined.
The following users liked this post:
robb (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 09:19 AM

I hadn't heard before that the handling was better on the new model.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:42 AM

I hadn't heard before that the handling was better on the new model.
Well the new chassis platform is much stiffer, and the connecting points for the suspension have been beefed up, and it corners flatter too. Pretty much all of the auto reviews have reported that. I think it pulls .94 G on the skidpad now depending on what group is reporting. A number of auto testers found the steering to be too light, but I like it lighter and with the quicker steering ratio.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Well the new chassis platform is much stiffer, and the connecting points for the suspension have been beefed up, and it corners flatter too. Pretty much all of the auto reviews have reported that. I think it pulls .94 G on the skidpad now depending on what group is reporting. A number of auto testers found the steering to be too light, but I like it lighter and with the quicker steering ratio.
That's interesting I couldn't imagine it cornering better and that is impressive that it is stiffer but the ride has not suffered. I tend to like a heavier steering feel but will have to drive one to see whether I prefer it or not. The peaky powerband is the one complaint I had with my generation but sounds like it is more linear in the new one.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:43 PM

That's interesting I couldn't imagine it cornering better and that is impressive that it is stiffer but the ride has not suffered. I tend to like a heavier steering feel but will have to drive one to see whether I prefer it or not. The peaky powerband is the one complaint I had with my generation but sounds like it is more linear in the new one.
It definitely handles better, it is very obvious as soon as you drive it. The ride quality is very compliant in that it soaks up bumps well, nicely tuned that way. It also has wider tires, and newer versions of the Dunlop tires which I assume are upgrades to the last gen.

The light steering is a big difference, you might not like it if you like heavier steering and some testers complained about the lack of steering feel, for some reason I have always liked light and quick ratio steering. The power band is very smooth and linear, much less peaky and no dips, and they tuned out rev hang on the manuals. The manual shifter feels good too.
Old 10-15-2022, 05:27 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Nephew and dog at racing weekend in MI.

Old 10-15-2022, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Nephew and dog at racing weekend in MI.

Fast car and fast dog, nice mix. Great pic !

Quick Reply: All Things Automotive