S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

All Things Automotive

Old 12-22-2021, 05:42 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire

The best looking Ferrari SUV.
Old 12-22-2021, 09:34 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,672 Posts

Sorry Emil, give me the FF. and keep the SUV. I can put up with a persnickety sports car because it's warm.
I use SUV's when it's cold and nasty. They need to work.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:53 PM

Received 3,796 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I brought home my 2022 Honda Civic Si today. There seems to have been an explosion in car features in recent years. My car has so many features that I will never use or even learn how to use. The owner manual is 760 pages long, that tells you how much stuff has been crammed into this vehicle. And this is a simple entry level vehicle which is even more surprising.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:21 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Zero,
I have a 2017 Civic Si. I love it, but I've had a bit more trouble with it than I expected from a Honda. I believe almost everything is straightened out now and I'm really enjoying the car. I'm curious to hear how you like yours.

We have many of the features that you've mentioned in my wife's 2021 CR-V. I find some of them very nice and handy and some of them to be intrusive to the point of being annoying. Overall, I think the package is good, but some I could live without. Let me know how you like Honda Sensing and the other new features.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ralper
Zero,
I have a 2017 Civic Si. I love it, but I've had a bit more trouble with it than I expected from a Honda. I believe almost everything is straightened out now and I'm really enjoying the car. I'm curious to hear how you like yours.

We have many of the features that you've mentioned in my wife's 2021 CR-V. I find some of them very nice and handy and some of them to be intrusive to the point of being annoying. Overall, I think the package is good, but some I could live without. Let me know how you like Honda Sensing and the other new features.
Rob, the previous generation Si has been one of my favourite Hondas of recent years, I would have bought one of them but they are very rare in our parts. I was disappointed they didn't carry the adaptive dampers your car has to the current model Si.

This new model really got my attention after test-driving one, and seeing one in the showroom unmolested got me to bite on it as it is hard to order new vehicles right now without a long wait. This is my first day with the new car, and I absolutely love it. It is a great driving experience overall. My only two gripes are minor - the first one is the auto stop feature, you have to turn it off each time when in the car as there is no way to keep it turned off. I am learning that almost every car out there is like that now though and they all do that. It might work better on automatic tranny cars, but I don't care for it on a manual. Secondly, the sport / normal performance setting also resets every time you enter the vehicle, I wish it would be more permanent so you don't have to activate it each time you drive. It reverts to normal setting automatically on each start.

All of the Honda sensing features seem to work pretty well, as well as can be expected with all of the sensors they use. It was snowing today and the car thought objects were approaching the vehicle when I was stopped and it was warning of an impending collision. Not a big deal though.

The steering, handling, motor, tranny (with auto-rev downshift), and shifter combination work extremely well together making for a very pleasing driving experience. The new motor has vtec on the exhaust side now, and it has a twin-scroll turbo which is a design I also enjoy on my WRX. The twin scrolls make really good use of the powerband. This car is a great value for what you get. This was my car just before it was pulled outdoors into our crappy winter weather today.

The following users liked this post:
MsPerky (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 10:16 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The steering, handling, motor, tranny (with auto-rev downshift), and shifter combination work extremely well together making for a very pleasing driving experience. The new motor has vtec on the exhaust side now, and it has a twin-scroll turbo which is a design I also enjoy on my WRX. The twin scrolls make really good use of the powerband. This car is a great value for what you get. This was my car just before it was pulled outdoors into our crappy winter weather today.
First off, congratulations on your new ride. Love the color. Every review I have read or watched gives high praise to the Si. In addition to the vastly improved 11th generation Civic platform, the Si handling upgrades make it drive as well as any front-driver south of a TypeR, according to the talking heads and motor journal scribes. Based on your first take it sounds like maybe the best Si ever.

Still, I will always hold a place in my heart for the 1999-2000 Si. Seats sucked. Interior felt kind of cheap. Everything was privative by today's standards. But the controls were great, the handling was solid, and that little 1.6 B16A2 normally aspirated engine only made 160 HP but it was a blast to rev out.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by tof
First off, congratulations on your new ride. Love the color. Every review I have read or watched gives high praise to the Si. In addition to the vastly improved 11th generation Civic platform, the Si handling upgrades make it drive as well as any front-driver south of a TypeR, according to the talking heads and motor journal scribes. Based on your first take it sounds like maybe the best Si ever.

Still, I will always hold a place in my heart for the 1999-2000 Si. Seats sucked. Interior felt kind of cheap. Everything was privative by today's standards. But the controls were great, the handling was solid, and that little 1.6 B16A2 normally aspirated engine only made 160 HP but it was a blast to rev out.
Thanks for the kind words. I have grown to like the colour, I never thought I would own an orange car but I wanted this one which was sitting in the showroom and available now. This model Si is great based on the sum of its parts, on paper it might not seem as good as it drives, but the driving experience is what sells this car. The new motor has vtec on the exhaust side now much like the Type R motor had, and the twin scroll turbo is quite effective. It has a few Type R suspension parts, and the new shifter is the best shifter Honda has ever made in a fwd setup IMO. The helical LSD and auto-rev match downshift are nice upgrades too.

I owned a 99 Civic SiR back in the day, I also bought it off the dealer showroom floor (in Electron Blue) and I loved it. I then moved into the 2003 Civic Sir (EP hatch) and it was fun in its own way too.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:59 AM

Received 5,794 Likes on 3,413 Posts

If should happen to need tires and have a Belle Tire store nearby it is a good time to buy. They have a sale that ends the 9th. I saved $210 on a set of Michelin tires for my truck.
Old 12-25-2021, 12:36 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Zero,

I too like your color. I'm glad that they finally got rid of those silly black plastic inserts on the front and rear bumper. That is the one styling feature on my 2017 that I don't like. Mine is black so I hardly see them and over time I've learned to ignore them, but I wish they weren't there.

Like you, I wish that the car would default to "Sport" as soon as you turned it on but that's not something that I can't live with. I am glad that i don't have the stop/start feature in my car. I have driven turbocharged, manual transmission cars with it and I hated it.

I had a 2006 Si which I loved. I did like the naturally aspirated engine that revved to 8,000 in the 2001. The 2017 revs only to 6,500, While it has more low-end torque I find myself running out of revs every now and again. Also not a major problem but I like high revving naturally aspirated engines.

Still, I've been very happy with my current Si. If anything happened to it I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one.

Lots of luck with yours. Let us know how you're enjoying it as time passes and you put on more miles.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (12-25-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 08:06 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,002 Likes on 518 Posts

I’ve been seeing the commercials for a few months now… I must say, the new Audi eTron RS is sexy

Quick Reply: All Things Automotive