S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

All Things Automotive

Old 05-13-2022, 03:29 PM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Yeah I have gotten over the black cladding, they do drive nice in terms of suspension, engine, and steering, the new chassis is better. The good points are greater than the negative ones.

I am getting my new WRX at MSRP, dealer mark-ups are not permitted in Canada. I bought my new Honda Civic at MSRP where many dealers in the US ask for 5-15k dealer mark-ups.

If you negotiate your trade well enough you can easily recoup that dealer mark-up with trade value, and I know US dealers are very good at paying top dollar on used cars right now, it is a trade-off I guess.

Take one for a spin Rob.
I'm going to just lurk and keep my eyes open see were prices go, I've got a year left on my powertrain warranty.
The salesman I talked to and the service advisor I had both said that they didn't like the new design when they first saw it but that it was kind of growing on them.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:42 PM

Received 3,795 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
I'm going to just lurk and keep my eyes open see were prices go, I've got a year left on my powertrain warranty.
The salesman I talked to and the service advisor I had both said that they didn't like the new design when they first saw it but that it was kind of growing on them.
A lot of people are saying the same thing, even on many youtube videos. I said the same thing as well in addition to my sales guy at Subaru. Many did not like it in early pictures or videos, but seeing it in person isn't so bad.

Rob you should just get your dealer to give you an estimate on trade in value for your current WRX, you might be pleasantly surprised. I know many people in the US who sucked up the dealer mark-up charges just because the trade in values skyrocketed so much, the net benefit was most important. I know the value of used cars is extremely high right now, because new car production is so low, and the pent up demand is causing used car prices to be so high. I think in 8 months or so new car production will start to rebound, and then used car prices won't have that extra bonus on them as we are seeing now. Timing is everything, that's why I am taking the plunge. I was not in the market for a new car as my lease had 12 months remaining, but the value of the used WRX is pushing me to make a move now during peak used car values. I say test drive one and get the dealers in your area to bid on your used car value, doesn't hurt or cost anything.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
A lot of people are saying the same thing, even on many youtube videos. I said the same thing as well in addition to my sales guy at Subaru. Many did not like it in early pictures or videos, but seeing it in person isn't so bad.

Rob you should just get your dealer to give you an estimate on trade in value for your current WRX, you might be pleasantly surprised. I know many people in the US who sucked up the dealer mark-up charges just because the trade in values skyrocketed so much, the net benefit was most important. I know the value of used cars is extremely high right now, because new car production is so low, and the pent up demand is causing used car prices to be so high. I think in 8 months or so new car production will start to rebound, and then used car prices won't have that extra bonus on them as we are seeing now. Timing is everything, that's why I am taking the plunge. I was not in the market for a new car as my lease had 12 months remaining, but the value of the used WRX is pushing me to make a move now during peak used car values. I say test drive one and get the dealers in your area to bid on your used car value, doesn't hurt or cost anything.
I'm not 'feeling it' enough yet.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:43 PM

$119,900 for a 69 charger with a 440
Old 05-14-2022, 05:50 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,672 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
Are they offering loaners?
Nope. they don't even have the formal service bulletin released out to the dealers yet.
Along with the directions on what to look for, I am fairly confidant when I say I don't think the parts pipeline for fixing the cars is full yet either.

My guess is the announcement of " Don't Drive it" is a pretty thin legal fig leaf.
"We told you not to drive it and yet you chose to do so and had an accident, what did you expect would happen. that's why we told you"
Old 05-14-2022, 07:28 AM

Received 5,794 Likes on 3,413 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Nope. they don't even have the formal service bulletin released out to the dealers yet.
Along with the directions on what to look for, I am fairly confidant when I say I don't think the parts pipeline for fixing the cars is full yet either.

My guess is the announcement of " Don't Drive it" is a pretty thin legal fig leaf.
"We told you not to drive it and yet you chose to do so and had an accident, what did you expect would happen. that's why we told you"
That's interesting. There was a large article on NPR with the announcement - that's where I just copied the opening paragraph. In the article they were offering loaners, etc. When the question was raised here I went back to NPR and the entire article had been removed.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:08 AM

Speaking of Mercedes I just saw something you don't see everyday a 300 SL Gullwing being pushed off the road. There is a collector a town over from me who has a bunch of 7 figure cars so I would imagine it was him. I'm hoping it was broken down and not in an accident. There were a few cars pulled off the road by him but it didn't look like there was any damage to any of them.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
That's interesting. There was a large article on NPR with the announcement - that's where I just copied the opening paragraph. In the article they were offering loaners, etc. When the question was raised here I went back to NPR and the entire article had been removed.
Cars are in such short supply many dealers can't do loaners like they used to. My Subaru dealer used to do loaners for me for oil changes (as they wanted to keep the car for many hours and no express oil change service), I never minded as I liked driving the loaners. Right now there are no loaners to be found, the lot is so empty they need all they can get to sell and for test drives.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:27 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Which used vehicles in DC sell for more than new? | WTOP News
Old 05-19-2022, 01:18 PM

That is very interesting, the market is upside down it seems. I think when new car production ramps up again in 8-12 months used car pricing is going to settle down, hence the reason I want to trade in my used car now as it is worth so much more. Drive a car for 3 years and get most of your money back, seems odd to me but I better take advantage while I can.

Quick Reply: All Things Automotive