S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

All Things Automotive

Old 07-15-2024, 07:06 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,873 Likes on 2,084 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Sure, Michigan's roads have been in a steady decline for at least 15 years. Sam's comment about who's responsible is likely accurate but some of the poor decision making by either the county or cities is .
It's infuriating. The roads they pick to fix is asinine. Another pet peeve is them removing left turn filter lights at busy intersections, makes zero sense, invites people to run the red light as they cannot get through when it's green. Stupidity at its finest.
Old 07-15-2024, 07:10 AM

Received 5,794 Likes on 3,413 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
It's infuriating. The roads they pick to fix is asinine. Another pet peeve is them removing left turn filter lights at busy intersections, makes zero sense, invites people to run the red light as they cannot get through when it's green. Stupidity at its finest.
ab·so·lute·ly !!!!!!
Old 07-15-2024, 09:54 AM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

I took my Subaru in for an oil change today and it was evident that they are understaffed. I have seen that they have had ads for service and parts personnel in online help wanted ads but I was impressed with the way the employees who were there handled everything. They only had 2 people at the service desk and the phone rang non stop and people were constantly coming in but the employees handled it. Also I had ordered some parts and there was no one there when I went to pick them up but the service manager came right over and helped me out. It made me think of my previous experience dealing with Toyota. I went in one time for an oil change and after waiting for close to 4 hours I went up to the desk and there was one guy handling everything and phones were ringing off the hook and there were about 10 people standing in line, the thing that really got me was the owner walked through behind the desk with his hands clasped behind him and didn’t do a thing to help just looking like he could care less.
Old 07-15-2024, 02:23 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,672 Posts

Road repair at the town level can be remarkably different.
We have two cities nearby.
One city has followed a jus-patch-it mentality for many years.
It's neighbor, has invested in full repairs when needed.
Guess which city has the better roads and the other is like driving through bomb craters?
Old 07-15-2024, 02:59 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Again, lucky to be living in the small state of Delaware. Per the DOT website, 89% of all public roads and streets are maintained by the state. No little municipalities to deal with, however, sometimes I question the rationale of the DOT. For instance, they have pretty much limited or eliminated acceleration lanes of side roads into more major roads, thereby creating unnecessay back-ups. In fact, I find more people stopping in the acceleration lane where they still exist instead of matching the speed and merging.
Old 07-17-2024, 02:33 PM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
Again, lucky to be living in the small state of Delaware. Per the DOT website, 89% of all public roads and streets are maintained by the state. No little municipalities to deal with, however, sometimes I question the rationale of the DOT. For instance, they have pretty much limited or eliminated acceleration lanes of side roads into more major roads, thereby creating unnecessay back-ups. In fact, I find more people stopping in the acceleration lane where they still exist instead of matching the speed and merging.
I've done plenty of driving in The First State and agree that the streets and roads there are very good. But their drivers...oooof.
The following users liked this post:
jukngene (07-17-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 07:24 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

I think I've mentioned recently that my grandson's job at the used car dealership is working out OK for him. Yesterday he had an issue with his VW. No surprise there. I was sitting on the deck doing nothing and he called and asked if I could make a run to pick up a part for him. He needed a clamp for the turbo. The guys in the shop had run a code on the car and were doing the repair. Ryan was "on the clock" so he couldn't do the repair, and I guess the guys in the shop had some time. The repair might have been above his skill level, but either way it got done, and I'm sure for a reasonable amount of money.

I told him working at an automotive shop is a very good thing when you own a VW.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lainey:
dlq04 (07-20-2024), jukngene (07-20-2024), Kyras (07-20-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 11:08 AM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The S2000 battery sits too close to the exhaust manifold IMO, even with the heatshield in place, no bueno.
I was dinking around under the hood of my S today and noticed how big the shield was between the exhaust and my battery and thought of this thread. Did the AP1’s and AP2’s and r.o.w. cars all get the same size shields?
Old 07-28-2024, 05:43 PM

Received 3,796 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
I was dinking around under the hood of my S today and noticed how big the shield was between the exhaust and my battery and thought of this thread. Did the AP1’s and AP2’s and r.o.w. cars all get the same size shields?
Yes they all used the same heatshield, essentially the same sized engine in all cars. The S2000 engine bay is just a very hot environment though, getting hot air out of the bay is tricky. I ran a J's Racing carbon fiber hood with a vent , and it made a huge difference in cooling underhood temps. I also had the ARC heatshield that covered the battery more than the OEM shield.
The following 3 users liked this post by zeroptzero:
dlq04 (07-28-2024), jnewtons2k (07-29-2024), robb (07-28-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 07:55 PM

Received 5,794 Likes on 3,413 Posts

So Joey, my first 'stupid question" why? I don't see history posts where you raced it?

Quick Reply: All Things Automotive