S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

All Things Automotive

Old 03-09-2024, 10:17 AM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Sorry if this is a duplicate post....I thought I had posted, but...
A friend of mine has a 2019 HRV. Steering was weird, seemed to get stuck...Brought the car into a dealer. She has 43K on this car. They told her she needed tie rod ends, a steering box, an axle (or parts of one?) . That's pretty low mileage to need all of this, don't you think?

She took it to our trusted mechanic. The tie rod ends were so bad they suggested she not drive it, and they got the replacement parts to repair it the next day. At first glace they didn't think she needed the steering box, but she does. They saw no issue with axles. She bought the vehicle used with 20K on it. Had a warranty that expired six months ago (of course). Honda dealership was making no effort to help out with this repair, which is darn costly and should not be needed on a car with such low mileage. Our mechanic told her they had never seen anything like it.
I would say that is very low mileage to have severely worn front end parts.
I had my WRX in for an oil change and they told me I should replace a ball joint. I told them I wanted to see so with the car on the lift I could see there was a bit of play but it wasn’t to the point of being dangerous to drive.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:26 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
^That's what I thought but they save the good stuff for the Lexus line and it's very pricey.

That's true, but given their reliability and high resale value, total cost of ownership is pretty competitive. So, lease a BMW or an Audi but buy a Lexus if you intend to keep it for more than 3 years or if you rack up the mileage.
The following 2 users liked this post by tof:
dlq04 (03-09-2024), Kyras (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 10:32 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
That's true, but given their reliability and high resale value, total cost of ownership is pretty competitive. So, lease a BMW or an Audi but buy a Lexus if you intend to keep it for more than 3 years or if you rack up the mileage.
I won't pay Lexus prices. I like to save the extra $ to put towards fun cars.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:14 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Vito is still driving his 2007 Lexus…so I’d say he has gotten his money’s worth from it. I think he would consider another one, but we hate the grill on the front. Can’t live with that. It is really fugly. So not sure what he will buy to replace it.
The following 2 users liked this post by MsPerky:
Kyras (03-09-2024), valentine (03-10-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 01:38 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Vito is still driving his 2007 Lexus…so I’d say he has gotten his money’s worth from it. I think he would consider another one, but we hate the grill on the front. Can’t live with that. It is really fugly. So not sure what he will buy to replace it.
I wonder how the new prices compare between his 2007 and a "similar" one from 2024.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:51 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,672 Posts

Lainey, I don't think I know your friend, if I sound abrasive, I'll apologize in advance.
I'll throw a speculation out there.
I don't know if she may not be "a car guy" type. If she had a bent wheel, a badly out of balance tire or a severely unaligned front end it could have been vibrating really badly for a long time.
and that will kill a front end. Not being a car guy type, i.e. in tune with what the car is telling them, they don't recognize "hey this isn't right" for a long time.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:59 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Lainey, I don't think I know your friend, if I sound abrasive, I'll apologize in advance.
I'll throw a speculation out there.
I don't know if she may not be "a car guy" type. If she had a bent wheel, a badly out of balance tire or a severely unaligned front end it could have been vibrating really badly for a long time.
and that will kill a front end. Not being a car guy type, i.e. in tune with what the car is telling them, they don't recognize "hey this isn't right" for a long time.
I supposed that is somewhat possible. She had been bringing the car to the dealer for oil changes....not sure if they would have/should have noticed something amiss with a cursory look. Knowing other models of Hondas have had this sticky steering issue does lend to some suspicion......
Old 03-10-2024, 08:37 AM

Received 3,796 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Sorry if this is a duplicate post....I thought I had posted, but...
A friend of mine has a 2019 HRV. Steering was weird, seemed to get stuck...Brought the car into a dealer. She has 43K on this car. They told her she needed tie rod ends, a steering box, an axle (or parts of one?) . That's pretty low mileage to need all of this, don't you think?

She took it to our trusted mechanic. The tie rod ends were so bad they suggested she not drive it, and they got the replacement parts to repair it the next day. At first glace they didn't think she needed the steering box, but she does. They saw no issue with axles. She bought the vehicle used with 20K on it. Had a warranty that expired six months ago (of course). Honda dealership was making no effort to help out with this repair, which is darn costly and should not be needed on a car with such low mileage. Our mechanic told her they had never seen anything like it.

Apparently, there have been some issues with steering racks on some later model civics, and a class action is brewing. I suggested she hang on to her receipts. At the very least, perhaps an email to American Honda about the repairs that were needed. Honda IS supposed to be one of the most reliable cars out there, right?

Sticky Steering
Honda has a known issue with steering racks that become "sticky" right now , a large number of new generation Civics are experiencing this issue. There are posts all about it on the 11thgen civic forums. I hadn't heard many having that from 2019, but it is a big issue now, caused by faulty steering racks.

I had an issue with my 2016 Civic after I slid into a curb during winter driving. I didn't hit the curb very hard but it was just enough to bend the internal parts of the steering rack, and it become "sticky" after I hit the curb. That was mostly my fault but a Honda mechanic friend at the time said that Honda steering racks are not very strong internally, and a small impact can be enough to bend them and then they don't operate smoothly any further.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:17 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

^
Thanks. Do you know if the Civic share the same components/parts as the HRV, which is built on the fit chassis as far as I know.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:17 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,672 Posts

I supposed that is somewhat possible. She had been bringing the car to the dealer for oil changes....not sure if they would have/should have noticed something amiss with a cursory look. Knowing other models of Hondas have had this sticky steering issue does lend to some suspicion......
That would actually surprise me, normally the dealer's mechanics are looking for everything they can fix. you know added revenue opportunities.
The following users liked this post:
Lainey (03-10-2024)

Quick Reply: All Things Automotive