S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

All Things Automotive

Old 01-23-2024, 06:34 PM

Received 3,796 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I got stuck on the side of a highway once with my first car, something to do with a failed fuel pump. Back in the day there were no cel phones, I had to walk a long way to get help , walking down a highway with trucks and cars whizzing by me like crazy. I swore to myself I would never drive a vehicle that would put me in that situation again. Since 1991 I never had to do an actual repair on any of my vehicles, just basic maintenance. I never let my cars get too old, I did pay for it in monthly payments but I always had reliable transportation.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:56 AM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue

They used to be fun to autocross, if you were smooth on big corners you could emulate a dog relieving themselves with one leg way up in the air.
I'm talking 12-15 inches worth of lift.
We had the Fuego on 3 wheels a few times.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:28 AM

Received 515 Likes on 305 Posts

From Kim Komando's E-mail list:

TODAY'S TOP STORY

Free privacy tool: See what your CAR collects about you

A new car has over 1,400 microchips and runs on 100 million lines of code. Because it’s connected, it also collects a lot of data about you.
Your car is now like your phone, computer or tablet — always listening. What is your vehicle collecting? Way more than we’d all like to think.

Your car is so nosey

The Vehicle Privacy Report is put out by a company called Privacy4Cars. They delete synched personal data from used cars before they're resold — which is how carmakers comply with privacy laws and make money.
For instance, your car’s maker might collect:
  • Your name, address, email address and driver's license number.
  • Location data that shows where you are and where you went.
  • Biometrics through your car's microphone and camera.
  • Voice recordings collected by your car's voice assistant.
  • Data synced from your connected devices, like call records, text messages or contacts.
Privacy4Cars offers tools for consumers, too, including a free privacy tool. Using just your VIN, this tool helps show you who your vehicle’s information is shared with — think insurance companies, the government and data brokers.
Go here to enter your VIN. Depending on your car’s make and model, it can be pretty shocking.

One of my team members drives a Hyundai

According to the Vehicle Privacy Report’s rundown of the car, Hyundai collects information to predict drivers’ "preferences, characteristics, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, or similar behavioral information." Uh, OK.
The carmaker shares and sells that info to its parent companies, subsidiaries, sister companies and service providers. That includes analytics partners, advertising agencies and social networks. Sheesh.

You can delete all that data

Privacy4Cars also has a free iOS and Android app. With it, you can wipe out data collected by your vehicle about you, including your synced phone book, call logs, text messages, navigation history, home address, garage door codes, passwords, biometrics and vehicle credentials.
My recommendation: Use Privacy4Cars after every rental and before selling, turning in or trading your vehicle. No, they didn’t ask me to tell you this; it’s just a smart privacy step.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 09:11 AM

I went to the Washington DC Auto show yesterday. The good news is that yesterday was "Military Tribute Day". Active duty and veterans got in for free with an ID or DD-214. The bad news is that they should have called it the Washington SUV & truck show. Many of the manufacturers did not bring their entire product line. I.E. I went to see the Acura TLX Type S (which is a vehicle of interest for me), they did not have one their to look at. I also wanted to look at the Lexus RC F which apparently is made out of unobtainium as they did not have one there to look at.

In the classic car section they did have a 1953 Cadilac that was used to drive President Eisenhower at his inauguration.

Last edited by Matt_in_VA; 01-24-2024 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Pictures failed to display
The following 3 users liked this post by Matt_in_VA:
jnewtons2k (01-24-2024), Kyras (01-24-2024), windhund116 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 12:06 PM

Received 5,795 Likes on 3,414 Posts

Change his motto from I like Ike to I like chrome.

In today's digital world everyone is collecting data and most are selling it as well. No where to hide.
Old 01-24-2024, 01:49 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Well my saga continues. Now Hagerty and the body shop are going around and around. The body shop's quote was not enough to total the car but they say they can't fix the car because several of the parts are not available from anyone other than junkyards. Hagerty say they are sure that new parts are available and the shop is not looking in the right places. I have a feeling that the body shop is getting close to telling me to go somewhere else and Hagerty has already suggested that to me. I have tried to tell the adjuster that it doesn't matter where I take the car the needed parts have been discontinued.
The following users liked this post:
Kyras (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 01:54 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Wow! They are sure treating you like crap. This should have been settled long ago. I hope that they will finally see the light and total it, so that you can find a suitable replacement, which, as you know, are out there!

This whole deal has definitely convinced me not to go with Hagerty.
Old 01-24-2024, 01:57 PM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Sorry to hear they still have not settled this for you, Dave. I'd be
Old 01-24-2024, 04:13 PM

Received 5,795 Likes on 3,414 Posts

Scoots - -

S2000’s were made for 10 years with total worldwide sales exceeding 112,000. There are lots out there. We know enough time has passed that the used prices have bottomed and in recent times prices have climbed, in some case a lot. Generally, when that happens after-market companies see an opportunity to make the most commonly needed parts. OEM parts from Honda is the best source if they have it. Here is a link to look for specific parts.

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

It looks like it is a crap shoot after that. There seems to be no lack of after-market sellers of performance parts but that’s not what you need. For some items, unless you buy a complete car, I suspect a scrap yard may be your only choice unless Hagerty knows of worldwide suppliers for your parts.

Since it has been 15 years since they stop building them, where does Hagerty think you should go for repairs and parts?

Did you research for a body shop that specializes in doing S2000’s?
Old 01-24-2024, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Well my saga continues. Now Hagerty and the body shop are going around and around. The body shop's quote was not enough to total the car but they say they can't fix the car because several of the parts are not available from anyone other than junkyards. Hagerty say they are sure that new parts are available and the shop is not looking in the right places. I have a feeling that the body shop is getting close to telling me to go somewhere else and Hagerty has already suggested that to me. I have tried to tell the adjuster that it doesn't matter where I take the car the needed parts have been discontinued.
David, I am sorry to learn this for two reasons: The first of which is what you are going through. Secondly, because I have my S insured with Hagerty for a agreed to price of $50K. I hope that you can get this resolved soon.

Quick Reply: All Things Automotive