S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

All Things Automotive

Old 01-18-2024, 08:15 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,873 Likes on 2,084 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
I'll go for changing the oil in my S2000 versus doing modern 911s. 991 models are a bear to change the oil.
I don't change my own oil, never have. Last oil change on the 911 (991.2) was $200
Old 01-18-2024, 09:20 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
I'll go for changing the oil in my S2000 versus doing modern 911s. 991 models are a bear to change the oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5TZsHyXS0c
Not really, it's pretty simple. Gaining access to the oil filter can be done in about five minutes on top. I can do the oil change without the jack if I back the car out to the edge of the garage. Waiting for the oil to drain is a pain.

The following 2 users liked this post by poorshoeless:
sam_spider (01-18-2024), windhund116 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 10:47 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
One caveat to that, parts are getting harder and harder to find for the S2000's and prices are going up on the parts that are still available. There's a lot of Porsche's running around with 100-150k miles and parts are relatively easy to get, yes they're more expensive but that tends to happen with a more expensive car in general.
We thought the same thing.
As far as oil changes, it's not something Rick has ever bothered with. Whereas he worked at automotive dealerships he just had it done at work. He still brings the our vehicles to his former place off employment for oil changes. He brings his own oil and filter for the Porsche and they charge him employee labor rate. Its a bargain and no worries about disposing of used oil
​​​​​​
Old 01-18-2024, 01:08 PM

Received 3,796 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I finally got some winter tires on my SUV today, this will be a big help this winter. We moved to our small town last March and I commute about 30 miles a day, the road into my work is a fair bit worse than I expected in snowy winter conditions. The few snow storms this month have been pretty slick , as November and December had no snow. It was bad enough to make me get snow tires this week. My son's WRX has snow tires and the difference in traction was huge compared to my SUV, so winter tires it is.
The following users liked this post:
Kyras (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 01:52 PM

Our grandson, the budding automotive tech noticed tire vibration and then some pulling while driving his VW. Our son made an appointment at the dealership Rick used to work at. Alignment ALL out of WHACK and tires worn unevenly, need replacing. Ryan's only had the car about four months, he's not putting on a ton of mileage. His tires looked pretty good when he got the car, the wear was likely not easily visible when we looked at his tires when he came by to show us the vehicle. I'd guess this was ongoing, and as the tires got worse he started noticing things.... One might have think he would have looked at the tires sooner.....

The oil was changed about two months ago (at the same dealership) no mention of tire wear at that time. Likely would not have made a difference at that point...

Rick has a good relationship with his former service manager. He suggested Rick order the tires from Tire Rack and told us the price we got was lower than his cost! Nice of him to suggest that. Saves some $ They will mount, and balance the tires and do an alignment. Ryan should be back in business, tomorrow or Saturday, with good tires on the car.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:29 PM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Our grandson, the budding automotive tech noticed tire vibration and then some pulling while driving his VW. Our son made an appointment at the dealership Rick used to work at. Alignment ALL out of WHACK and tires worn unevenly, need replacing. Ryan's only had the car about four months, he's not putting on a ton of mileage. His tires looked pretty good when he got the car, the wear was likely not easily visible when we looked at his tires when he came by to show us the vehicle. I'd guess this was ongoing, and as the tires got worse he started noticing things.... One might have think he would have looked at the tires sooner.....

The oil was changed about two months ago (at the same dealership) no mention of tire wear at that time. Likely would not have made a difference at that point...

Rick has a good relationship with his former service manager. He suggested Rick order the tires from Tire Rack and told us the price we got was lower than his cost! Nice of him to suggest that. Saves some $ They will mount, and balance the tires and do an alignment. Ryan should be back in business, tomorrow or Saturday, with good tires on the car.
Thats what I always do when I need tires order them at Tire Rack and have the dealer install them. I have even had them shipped right to the dealer from Tire Rack for the S so I don’t have to cram them in the S and take them down to the dealer saves a bit of $.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by robb
Thats what I always do when I need tires order them at Tire Rack and have the dealer install them. I have even had them shipped right to the dealer from Tire Rack for the S so I don’t have to cram them in the S and take them down to the dealer saves a bit of $.
The dealer doesn't mind missing out on a tire sale?
Old 01-18-2024, 07:12 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by poorshoeless
Not really, it's pretty simple. Gaining access to the oil filter can be done in about five minutes on top. I can do the oil change without the jack if I back the car out to the edge of the garage. Waiting for the oil to drain is a pain.
You are right.

I was thinking about changing the air filters.
The following users liked this post:
sam_spider (01-19-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 07:17 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
I priced a tire for my Ridgeline from TireRack then when to the dealer that TireRack suggested for the install (Discount Tire) to see about the cost to install it. They gave me a better price on the same tire. I saved over $80. Then I found out that Discount Tire owns TireRack.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scooterboy:
Kyras (01-19-2024), Lainey (01-19-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 07:26 PM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
The dealer doesn't mind missing out on a tire sale?
Nope I figured they wouldn’t do it but I asked and they told me no problem. I have found the markup at dealerships for tires to be incredibly high.

Quick Reply: All Things Automotive