S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

All Things Automotive

Old 08-06-2023, 11:18 AM

Received 3,796 Likes on 2,675 Posts

With fuel price increases and no stability in sight I traded in my daily driver ICE for a Ford Escape Hybrid last week. My work trip miles are increasing too. I would have tried a plug in hybrid but they are hard to find and I didn't want to wait too long, they normal hybrids were on the lot so it was an easy swap. So far I've been quite impressed with the fuel economy. Most day's I am seeing my consumption numbers about 50-60 percent of what they were on my other vehicle. It isn't too hard to see 53 mpg US in mixed driving, it really excels in urban city driving, country roads of 50 mph work well too. We took a country drive today about 40 kms one way, mostly 50 mph country roads, seeing a low 3.9 l/100 kms (60 mpg US) today, lowest since getting the vehicle. My only complaint is that I now get fixated on consumption numbers and driving to maximize regeneration braking, my wife thinks I am driving too slow at times but the regen braking can be pretty noticeable in low gear selection. lol.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:40 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,410 Posts

^^^ Happy hypermiling. It can be strangely addictive.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by tof
^^^ Happy hypermiling. It can be strangely addictive.
Thanks, yeah I now understand how some people get addicted to hypermiling, oddly enough, lol.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:32 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Sometimes I will hypermile my GS350. I like a challenge.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (08-07-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 08:03 PM

Received 5,794 Likes on 3,413 Posts

I love my wife. I asked her to help me for a few minutes with the car. I need her to keep tension on the fan belt while I tightened the generator down. I had been trying for two days to do it myself like I used to. Seem Art, that arthritis, didn't want me to complete the task. In the end, I kept the tension on while she tightened the two lower bolts, one of which is near impossible to reach and tighten. She is a keeper. Tomorrow I reconnect the voltage regulator and we will see if I have a running car again. Ah, the joys of vintage cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by dlq04:
Kyras (08-11-2023), Lainey (08-12-2023), robb (08-12-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 08:23 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I love my wife. I asked her to help me for a few minutes with the car. I need her to keep tension on the fan belt while I tightened the generator down. I had been trying for two days to do it myself like I used to. Seem Art, that arthritis, didn't want me to complete the task. In the end, I kept the tension on while she tightened the two lower bolts, one of which is near impossible to reach and tighten. She is a keeper. Tomorrow I reconnect the voltage regulator and we will see if I have a running car again. Ah, the joys of vintage cars.
​​​​​​Ah, the joys of arthritis. Just screwing the hose back in the bib after my deck guys take the hose off is a challenge. I have to ask them why they keep taking two of the three off. . To get a drink? I doubt that.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:47 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by Kyras
​​​​​​Ah, the joys of arthritis. Just screwing the hose back in the bib after my deck guys take the hose off is a challenge. I have to ask them why they keep taking two of the three off. . To get a drink? I doubt that.
I hate Art! He keeps me up all night. He makes things much harder than they use to be. He is a real pain in the knees, and hands, and hips, and wrists, and……………
Kyras (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 07:15 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,002 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
Modifry is retiring; see my post here.
So, I finally ordered something. I was thinking about it while fixing my cupholder today.. See the $*!!@#@)# thread....

Picked up the mounting bracket and cup holder plus the glove box insert.

Website does say he's finalizing some negotiations to sell.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I hate Art! He keeps me up all night. He makes things much harder than they use to be. He is a real pain in the knees, and hands, and hips, and wrists, and……………
I haven't had too many issues with pain, but I over-did it a bit a few months ago while moving and I have a pain in my left hand that just won't go away. I had some mild pain in my knees years back and it was well controlled with glucosamine sulphate for the most part, I swear by that for knee pain.

I thought I had strained the tendons in my hand or arm while moving and doing renovation work around our homes. The pain has lessened but not gone away. When I wake up in the morning my middle-finger is super stiff, it almost clunks into place and is hard to move for the first few minutes, the rest of the day it isn't bad but waking up is a pain every morning. If I tighten my elbow fully with my arm up against my body the stiffness gets much worse, and if I extend my arm fully the stiffness lessens or goes away. I am also starting to think this is carpal-tunnel more than arthritis, if my wife massages my forearm the pain in my hand lessens too. I also thought about tendonitis. I keep hoping for it to go away but not yet, it does change from week to week seeming to bet better but then it acts up again. Frustrating, and I haven't had time to see a doctor yet.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 08-12-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:12 AM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

I all of a sudden had pain in my big toe last night. I did catch it on a chair leg yesterday but it didn’t seem to hurt after and it is not bruised. I’m thinking it may be gout I have been eating like a lot of unhealthy things this week.
Lainey (08-12-2023)

Quick Reply: All Things Automotive