S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

All Things Automotive

Old 03-24-2023, 06:26 AM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
Glad I found this since I was overdue to change it in all my cars!
I thought you were supposed to do shots of it if you were having eye problems.
The following users liked this post:
Kyras (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 08:31 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
Glad I found this since I was overdue to change it in all my cars!
I make mine last longer by NOT using my blinkers!
Old 03-24-2023, 10:01 AM

Replaced rear rotors and pads for the second time on my WRX today due to the rotors delaminating. They have 21,000 miles on them and have been on the car for 2.5 years.
My S has 78,000 miles on it and is 20 years old or will be in 2 months, and has all the original brakes on it with plenty of meat left in them.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:29 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
Replaced rear rotors and pads for the second time on my WRX today due to the rotors delaminating. They have 21,000 miles on them and have been on the car for 2.5 years.
My S has 78,000 miles on it and is 20 years old or will be in 2 months, and has all the original brakes on it with plenty of meat left in them.
But it doesn’t ride on salty roads…
Old 03-24-2023, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
But it doesn’t ride on salty roads…
EXACTLY
Old 03-24-2023, 11:22 AM

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Saw this about EVs. I had been opened minded about EVs until last September when I rented a new Tesla Y LR (with paid charging no less) from Hertz in Germany for 16 days. Although the car build was nice, it was faaaasssst, and swallowed all five of my family with carry on luggage with a little room to spare, the long range planning required for charging became an elephant in the vacation living room. Changed my mind on getting an EV.

Now this. Unfortunately, this move to EVs affects us all through higher insurance costs, not to mention environmental costs.

When an Electric Vehicle Crashes, Even in a Minor Accident, Insurance Companies Junk the Entire Car Because Its Battery Has to Be Tossed

by Ethan Huff March 24, 2023

The corporate-controlled media is finally coming around to accepting the truth about the electric vehicle (EV) revolution, which is not even close to being as environmentally friendly as its supporters and promoters claim.Reuters published a piece this week revealing that even the smallest EV accidents, including minor fender-benders, almost always result in insurance companies having to total the entire car. The reason for this has to do with EV batteries, which are so expensive to replace that it makes more sense to just replace the entire car.

“We’re buying electric cars for sustainability reasons,” said Matthew Avery, research director at the automotive risk intelligence company Thatcham Research. “An EV isn’t very sustainable if you’ve got to throw the battery away after a minor collision.”

The battery pack in your average Tesla, for example, costs tens of thousands of dollars to replace. The battery pack alone represents a sizable portion of the vehicle’s overall price tag, it turns out.

Tesla and many other EV manufacturers have made battery packs a structural component of their cars in order to reduce costs for end consumers – but at what cost to the environment? Unless EV manufacturers change the ways in which they incorporate battery packs into their cars, all this needless waste will continue to pile up.

“The number of cases is going to increase, so the handling of batteries is a crucial point,” said Christoph Lauterwasser, managing director of the Allianz Center for Technology, a research institute owned by Allianz.

Manufacturing EV batteries is costly, exploitative and damaging to the environment

According to Lauterwasser, producing EV batteries is anything but clean and green. Compared to conventional fossil fuel-powered models, EVs and the batteries they contain produce significantly higher carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. And when the batteries are discarded far too early due to an accident, the environmental cost is even greater.

“If you throw away the vehicle at an early stage, you’ve lost pretty much all advantage in terms of CO2 emissions,” Lauterwasser said.
As for the Tesla Model Y, Sandy Munro, head of Michigan-based Munro & Associates, says this particular model of Elon Musk’s fleet has “zero repairability.”

“A Tesla structural battery pack is going straight to the grinder,” said Munro, who analyzes vehicles and advises automakers on how to improve their functionality and repairability.

Then there is the social cost of mining up all the metals needed to make these too-easily disposable batteries. Children in Africa are forced to work like slaves for pennies a day to gather all the materials needed to make these “green” vehicles, adding insult to injury.

“So much for the EV revolution and the green ‘circular economy’ touted by carmakers, politicians, NGOs, and climate activists,” reported Zero Hedge about the matter. “These EVs appear even worse for the environment when compared with traditional petrol-powered vehicles.”

In the comments, someone stressed the fact that modern EVN junk is worse for the environment than 150-year-old combustion engine technology – imagine that.

Another pointed out that all car insurance premiums now reflect this EV deception.

“You’re paying to scrap these new EVs,” this person said. “Changing the true rate to insure an EV would lead to further ‘EV hesitancy.’”

At Hertz Frankfurt and with Mr Matchbox in Munchen

Old 03-24-2023, 12:36 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Some BMW's must not come with a reservoir to fill.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:18 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Oops…

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ated-cops.html
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (03-24-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 07:11 AM

Received 5,794 Likes on 3,413 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Saw this about EVs. I had been opened minded about EVs until last September when I rented a new Tesla Y LR (with paid charging no less) from Hertz in Germany for 16 days. Although the car build was nice, it was faaaasssst, and swallowed all five of my family with carry on luggage with a little room to spare, the long range planning required for charging became an elephant in the vacation living room. Changed my mind on getting an EV.
Death of the ICE is greatly over exaggerated. For EV’s to take off all three legs of the stool need to be there. Government, auto manufacturers, and the public. The first two can push and pray all they want but it will not stand without the third. Companies like GM and Ford seem to be beating their all on EVs, whereas companies like Toyota and Kia are not giving up on ICE cars.The list of issues with EVs is endless . . I would list them but we all know them…. Starting with the batteries.

Old 03-25-2023, 12:46 PM

Received 5,794 Likes on 3,413 Posts

To followup on the EV discussion, the number 1 issue is recharging. The stations are too far apart, if any at all. Peoples experience where stations are commonplace, like LA area, is really bad. Too often they don't work, different apps are needed, waits are too long, etc., etc. The only time people are happy with EVs is when they have their own station at home and don't take trips that exceed their range.

Cos, I heard Sandy Munro talk about his tour of the new Tesla plant in TX. He was totally blown away by how innovative assembly was. After listening to him I am tempted to sell my Magna stock which I bought because of their global coverage and involvement in the EV future. Now I wish I had bought some Tesla stock when it dropped to $101 this year. He thinks Tesla will be selling more car than GMs by 2028. Oh, yeah, Tesla is saying they will be able to make a $25k car in the not to distant future. If they do it won't solve the other issues with EVs but it will put a dent in the ICE market.

Quick Reply: All Things Automotive