S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

All Things Automotive

Old 02-21-2023, 09:01 AM

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
There is something exciting about that feeling of your foot glide to the floor pan while depressing the brake pedal.
It's such an adrenaline rush.
That happened to me going downhill to Turn 5 at Road America doing about 140+mph. While the brakes engaged on the very next pump of the pedal and I got through the turn ok, I just wanted to stop and get out of the car as I headed up the hill towards Turn 6. I was totally shattered. I did one more lap and got off of the track early and went home, still shattered.

Edit: For those not knowing Turn 5 at RA, the bottom of the hill has numerous concrete barriers arranged so that you have an escape route there if you are going less than 30 mph. If you hit it at 100 plus they will send you and your car home in little pieces.

Last edited by hecash; 02-21-2023 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:03 AM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, white, with 110,000 miles. (I call the car Elizabeth Warren) I am the second owner. The first was a professor dad of my wife's best friend. It was kept up to 80,000 miles in a windowless garage and he never had any passengers. It really is in great shape. I replaced the front axles with CV boots, replaced the radiator, power steering pump, and pulled the both Dana diff covers cleaning things up and replacing all fluids with appropriate Mobil 1 synthetics. Not a dent anywhere. I bled the brakes a la Billman and they work without going to the floor!

The husband of that friend I mentioned is selling his 2015 Outback with the 3.6 V6 with 80,000 miles. I think I will get that much newer car and sell the Jeep despite my love for that badass vehicle. (It has taken me through deep sand and off-road for fly fishing expeditions with my friends as well as blasting through snow up at Donner Pass CA)

So, the so called NADA and KBB comes in around $3-4K which is just very low in my opinion. Another friend of mine said he almost let his go for less than $10 but wound up north of $20K!!!
How would you value the thing? Just look at asking for cars for sale and or auctions? Any seat of the pants feel for the value of this?
I would go to Bring a trailer jeep grand cherokee and look through the results of recent auctions and they will also have a graph of what those models have sold for.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:49 PM

Received 829 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Serious question: How many times, if ever, have you gotten a car home with no brakes?

My first time was with my sprite, then there was my grandmothers Nova with drum front brakes. it was almost a habitual occurrence with my Renaults.
Apparently the engineers at Renault had never taken high school chemistry or studied the oxidation-reduction reaction between dissimilar metals.

There is something exciting about that feeling of your foot glide to the floor pan while depressing the brake pedal.
It's such an adrenaline rush. although when your passengers start screaming in your ear, it gets downright annoying.
I once drove an ex's parent's VW Beetle that it had almost no brakes from the moment I got in. Sailed clear through an intersection with ex and her mom screaming all the way. Finally stopped about 100ft on the other side.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 01:18 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
I once drove an ex's parent's VW Beetle that it had almost no brakes from the moment I got in. Sailed clear through an intersection with ex and her mom screaming all the way. Finally stopped about 100ft on the other side.
That happened in HS, with a friend driving his Dad's Firebird. As we came to an intersection, I asked him why he was pumping the brakes so furiously, with this "fear of facing death expression" on his face.

We all needed new underwear, after the car finally stopped.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:59 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
I took an old Hairline in on trade for a Mustang I was selling. One night I was driving home and came to a light that changed. The car (a 1957 Chevy) stopped and I hit the brakes and there were none! I hit him, bounced off and hit him again. All I di to his car was brake a taillight lens. It cost me $25. My car was a little different. Both front fenders sprung out from just in front of the doors and looked like s set of wings. I had to beat them down to get it home. I used the e-brake to stop to get home!
windhund116 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 03:55 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I took an old Hairline in on trade for a Mustang I was selling. One night I was driving home and came to a light that changed. The car (a 1957 Chevy) stopped and I hit the brakes and there were none! I hit him, bounced off and hit him again. All I di to his car was brake a taillight lens. It cost me $25. My car was a little different. Both front fenders sprung out from just in front of the doors and looked like s set of wings. I had to beat them down to get it home. I used the e-brake to stop to get home!
Lesson learned. Replace the brake fluid on a regular basis --- and correctly bleed them.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:21 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

The fluid wasn't the problem. It was a typical Ford and everything was rusted out including the brake lines!
windhund116 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 07:37 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,410 Posts

The Fastest Sports Sedan You've Never Heard Of...
Or what happens when Lotus and GM decide to polish GM's image in Europe.

Hertz Donut (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 11:18 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Safest cars…

https://wtop.com/business-finance/20...re-the-safest/

Old 02-23-2023, 11:42 AM

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Keep in mind that the laws of physics still apply. You can be in a top rated small vehicle and have a head on with a Ford F150 Super Duty with a moderate rating. Guess who is going to go home with some scratches and who will end up talking with St Peter at the Pearly Gates?

Quick Reply: All Things Automotive