S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

All Things Automotive

Old 02-05-2023, 07:41 AM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Gary my guess would be that since a lot of the older car models would lock after a few minutes while running a lot of people locked themselves out of their cars and bitched about it so car manufacturers are now making it so you can't lock your keys in the car while it is running.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:18 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

But he said the key is in his pocket.
I don’t have an answer.
The following users liked this post:
Heyitsgary (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 08:56 AM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

My Subaru has been sitting outside dormant during this coldsnap, I figured it made sense not to use it if I didn't have to during minus 20 degree weather as it puts a lot of stress on different parts. I was concerned about the battery since it is the original and since I'm taking it to work tonight I figured I would make sure it was good to go ahead of time. So it fired right up didn't even slow crank
The following 2 users liked this post by robb:
NNY S2k (02-06-2023), zeroptzero (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 09:50 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Washed the Miata today It was overdue but it's been mostly in the garage recently as top-down days have been few and far between lately.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:30 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
I'm a little behind - so back to the key thing. For those with a Civic, what bugs me most is this...

Go out, start the car, put the key in pocket and head back in to get ready for work while the car is warming up. It won't let me lock the door. So the car sits running, unlocked in my driveway. It does beep to remind me of course.

Sure, if someone got in, they could only drive it until they turned it off, but still.

Am I missing something in regards to locking it while running? Maybe I have to be farther away then hit lock on the fob?
My Civic and Mazda did the same thing. I'm guessing that Robb's answer is right.
robb (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 03:49 PM

Received 3,796 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I'm a little behind - so back to the key thing. For those with a Civic, what bugs me most is this...

Go out, start the car, put the key in pocket and head back in to get ready for work while the car is warming up. It won't let me lock the door. So the car sits running, unlocked in my driveway. It does beep to remind me of course.

Sure, if someone got in, they could only drive it until they turned it off, but still.

Am I missing something in regards to locking it while running? Maybe I have to be farther away then hit lock on the fob?
I know with m 2016 Civic I could not unlock the passenger door if it was locked and the car was running and I was outside of the car with the fob. I always hated that, so I had to go to driver door unlock all doors and then go back to the passenger door open it from the outside while the car was running. I think the trunk was the same way, it would not open if the car was running and I was outside with the fob. No idea the reasoning for it, I just know I didn't like how they programmed it.

Old 02-06-2023, 08:27 AM

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I have never trust a dealer. Even today they tried to pull a fast one and switch financing with a higher rate. They said that the electronic signature gizmo didn’t work so just sign this paper and we will be all set. Well the new paper jacked the interest up by 5 points. That will be the last time I will go there even though I like the sales kid.
We bought a new 2020 450 GLE in April of that year when sales were almost zero. We came in well under MSRP with no markups. They offered a zero percent financing if we wanted. I put some of the cost for a 3 year payback. When the MB dealer finance guy ran the numbers, he said he could not make it work with 0% so he had to add a tiny fraction in the compute to get it to work. I wound up paying $1.65 for the "0%" financing. Still not too bad!

Originally Posted by hecash

If you have the time, equipment and the energy, you will be amazed at how easy it is to cosmetically maintain a vehicle with a ceramic coating. I put a ceramic coating ( Armor Shield IX @$75 ), and went the extra step of a two stage polish on my 2015 Crosstour and it is nothing short of spectacular. I just pressure spray it with water alone and it comes sparkling clean. I did go an extra step and applied 303 Graphene Nano coating over the ceramic.
I applied the Avalon King nano coating that was offered at a discount on this website. I did spend some time preparing the surfaces but it was easy to apply and I agree with you completely: I am amazed how great it looks and how easy it is to maintain compared to other synthetic polymer "waxes" and/or regular waxes. Great stuff.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:34 AM

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Our MB GLE has an app that can control almost everything. I like the fact it will let me know in minutes if the car was left unlocked. I can always tell when my wife gets home! You can lock it up inside of Costco with just the phone. You can do a remote start but the vehicle MUST be locked to start her up. I have found the car can get up to "heat" really quickly. With the heated seats and fast electric heating you don't feel cold for long. They made the windshield defrost in seconds. Amazing. 48Volt system really helps.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:03 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,012 Likes on 2,673 Posts

I would have a conversation with Mercedes USA about your little 1.65% problem. zero is zero.
the fact that he couldn't do 0% is BS.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:27 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
If you have the time, equipment and the energy, you will be amazed at how easy it is to cosmetically maintain a vehicle with a ceramic coating. I put a ceramic coating ( Armor Shield IX @$75 ), and went the extra step of a two stage polish on my 2015 Crosstour and it is nothing short of spectacular. I just pressure spray it with water alone and it comes sparkling clean. I did go an extra step and applied 303 Graphene Nano coating over the ceramic.
Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I applied the Avalon King nano coating that was offered at a discount on this website. I did spend some time preparing the surfaces but it was easy to apply and I agree with you completely: I am amazed how great it looks and how easy it is to maintain compared to other synthetic polymer "waxes" and/or regular waxes. Great stuff.
I have someone coming to the house on Thursday to do the ceramic coating. I may get the S2000 done before long if I like his work.
Kyras (02-08-2023)

Quick Reply: All Things Automotive