S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

All Things Automotive

Old 01-20-2023, 06:25 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,873 Likes on 2,084 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
If I go to this, anything y’all want me to check out?

https://wtop.com/gallery/dc/hundreds...-dc-auto-show/
Lotus Emira, really intrigued by it.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:23 PM

Received 5,794 Likes on 3,413 Posts

Gentex, a high-tech auto supplier mostly known for mirrors, is showing off a dimmable see-though glass sun visor at the latest tech show. Probably not needed in Michigan since sunshine is a rarity but they say there is huge interest. Production is still a couple years away. I wonder where they got the idea? I've had them for years for my MG and never use them. In part because they are in the way of installing the top.

Among other things they have an inside mirror that will send a photo of any object you leave behind on the seat like a wallet to your phone after you step out of car. Do we really need that? In any case they are a pretty cool company; I’ve had their stock for decades.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Lotus Emira, really intrigued by it.
Any more cars for me to check out at the auto show?
Old 01-28-2023, 05:55 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Found out something interesting as far as the key fob on my Jeep. When exiting the vehicle, if I press the door lock on the door and close the door and the keys are in the vehicle, the car beeps three times. It doesn't lock. Actually I figured that out a while ago.
Today I went out to start the car vs using the remote from the house. I wanted to switch the controls over to defrost as there was a heavy frost. I put the keys on the counter when I came back in. As I went to leave I was gathering up my bag for the Y and my son texted me. I was trying to find out what was happening with him, as he should have been at work. (He and his wife both have Covid). Anyway, apparently I left the house without the keys.

While driving I noticed a message that the key fob was not in the vehicle. I cleared the message as I thought it must have been there from when I started the car and brought the keys back inside. I didn't know you could drive any distance without the fob in the vehicle. Well, you can. I got to the Y, grabbed one bag, pressed the door lock and shut the door. Realized I forgot my bag with my spin shoes. Tried to get back into the car, NOPE. Usually the door unlocks automatically as my keys are in my bag or my pocket. Nope. I called Rick and he confirmed the keys were on the counter. He dropped them off while I was in my spin class.

So I learned two things. One, the car can be driven without the key fob, and two, don't mess with your morning routine. IF you do ONE thing differently, things get mucked up!

Last edited by Lainey; 01-28-2023 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:17 AM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

I didn't think you could drive any distance without the key fob but I guess you can.
My first experience with keyless ignition was while I was working at a GM dealer in 2005. The new C-6 Corvette had just come out and it had keyless ignition and when we got one in stock I remember we tested it to see how far we could go without a key I thought that it shut down before it got out of the lot but in looking it up on the net it says it will keep going without the key you just can't restart it without the key after you shut it off.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:40 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Found out something interesting as far as the key fob on my Jeep. When exiting the vehicle, if I press the door lock on the door and close the door and the keys are in the vehicle, the car beeps three times. It doesn't lock. Actually I figured that out a while ago.
Today I went out to start the car vs using the remote from the house. I wanted to switch the controls over to defrost as there was a heavy frost. I put the keys on the counter when I came back in. As I went to leave I was gathering up my bag for the Y and my son texted me. I was trying to find out what was happening with him, as he should have been at work. (He and his wife both have Covid). Anyway, apparently I left the house without the keys.

While driving I noticed a message that the key fob was not in the vehicle. I cleared the message as I thought it must have been there from when I started the car and brought the keys back inside. I didn't know you could drive any distance without the fob in the vehicle. Well, you can. I got to the Y, grabbed one bag, pressed the door lock and shut the door. Realized I forgot my bag with my spin shoes. Tried to get back into the car, NOPE. Usually the door unlocks automatically as my keys are in my bag or my pocket. Nope. I called Rick and he confirmed the keys were on the counter. He dropped them off while I was in my spin class.

So I learned two things. One, the car can be driven without the key fob, and two, don't mess with your morning routine. IF you do ONE thing differently, things get mucked up!
Our Civic and CX-5 do the same thing. I figured if you drove away without the keys it would shut off but nope! You could drive to California as long as you don't shut it off.
The following users liked this post:
Lainey (01-28-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 06:47 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,672 Posts

Technically this is automotive related sort off. ( could be humor)
Mercedes has a stupid design for a it's lug bolts of late. The are a torx head kinda sort of.
They have a chrome cap on them which if you don't use the right socket on ( the torx one) the chrome part will get dented.
A normal hex socket will fit n but really doesn't work right resulting in denting.
When this happens, the torx socket won't fit anymore and neither will the hex socket.
Mercedes has an alternate good old hex head replacement you can buy.
So Jerry jumps in the car which has just under a quarter tank of gas, dealer I use is 40 miles away but there is a BJ's right nearby.
Being efficient I decided to use that BJ's for gas. At this point I am no on low fuel warning. I pulled up to the pump, reach back for my wallet and find an empty pocket.
My wallet was resting safely on my desk. I quickly ran through options in my head.
The most straightforward would involve my wife driving 40 miles to bring me my wallet.
This did not have much appeal since I know how much funerals cost and I really didn't want to go to mine.
I came up with have my wife phone in the credit card number for the parts and add $20 to the bill and have the dealer give me that cash back.
Instead the service writer I use reached into his wallet and gave me a twenty and told me just phone in the card when you get home.
"pay me back the next time you're in"

The following 4 users liked this post by boltonblue:
dlq04 (01-28-2023), Lainey (01-28-2023), robb (01-28-2023), sam_spider (01-31-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 06:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,672 Posts

You have to be careful with keyless to not leave the keys in the car or it will kill the battery.
All of the electronics have powered up to be ready to run when you hit start.
The following 2 users liked this post by boltonblue:
Lainey (01-28-2023), zeroptzero (01-28-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 06:54 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
...This did not have much appeal since I know how much funerals cost and I really didn't want to go to mine....
Trust me they are not cheap but on the other hand, if it is your funeral you won't have to write the check!
Old 01-28-2023, 06:56 AM

Received 4,275 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
You have to be careful with keyless to not leave the keys in the car or it will kill the battery.
All of the electronics have powered up to be ready to run when you hit start.
I had a loaner from Subaru and it had keyless entry and and luckily I thought of this as I had the keys on my desk and the car was parked right on the other side of the wall less than 10 feet away

Quick Reply: All Things Automotive