S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Alcohol addiction and loss of a friend

Old 08-28-2024, 07:49 PM

Received 3,480 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
Sometimes, life just isn't worth living and nobody can understand what anyone else is going through or the decisions they make and why.
So true. People who have had a loving upbringing without much strife can sometimes not understand those who struggle.

I had a "boyfriend" for a couple of years who was sober when we met. He told me that he had started smoking pot when he was a kid and shared women with his father as an older teen. He had been sexually abused by a babysitter. His father was an alcoholic and died after intentionally crashing his car. He had had two wives and the last one seemed to have divorced him when he was in one of his, "I am the marijuana plant" modes. He started smoking pot again, after I knew him for about 3 years, and he spiraled. He became mean and paranoid. He told me I said things to him that things that didn't happen. People told me pot doesn't do that. Wanna bet? I haven't seen or talked to him in over two years. He was lots of fun when he was sober but his addictive personality got the best of him. No thank you.

Old 08-29-2024, 04:22 AM

Received 991 Likes on 511 Posts

Sad all around.
Old 08-29-2024, 06:34 AM

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
So true. People who have had a loving upbringing without much strife can sometimes not understand those who struggle.

I had a "boyfriend" for a couple of years who was sober when we met. He told me that he had started smoking pot when he was a kid and shared women with his father as an older teen. He had been sexually abused by a babysitter. His father was an alcoholic and died after intentionally crashing his car. He had had two wives and the last one seemed to have divorced him when he was in one of his, "I am the marijuana plant" modes. He started smoking pot again, after I knew him for about 3 years, and he spiraled. He became mean and paranoid. He told me I said things to him that things that didn't happen. People told me pot doesn't do that. Wanna bet? I haven't seen or talked to him in over two years. He was lots of fun when he was sober but his addictive personality got the best of him. No thank you.

It is more commonly a thing with people that have mental health issues, like most substances. I also know a lot of people that have used their whole life and are very successful engineers, business leaders, etc. Actually more people that most realize around them are weed users But, I feel just like alcohol, it very much depends on other things like mental illness, if a person has addictive tendencies, issues with responsibility, etc. And of course, overuse of anything is not a good thing. While I 100% believe that weed is far less damaging that alcohol has ever been, it should not be treated as something that can do no harm at all. People have to be very responsible with anything like this.

On alcohol, it has never been a thing that I think I COULD abuse if I tried. I like to drink and have had my crazy nights like many, but even back when I was using other stupid things as an 18 year old and being stupid, if I got drunk, I would not even want to look at alcohol for weeks. Just was never a thing for me. Today, I like my rum and scotch and a good beer, but if I get actually drunk more than a few times a year it is surprising to me. The other night we had a fire in the yard, I had had a hard week and I thought "yeah I feel like drinking" ... I think I had 5 shots total over a 6 hour period lol. That was me "tying one on" which mainly resulted in me taking a nice nap in a lawn chair next to the fire.
Old 08-29-2024, 06:38 AM

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
dealing with loved ones or friends who are alcoholics is one of the worst things a person can experience. They are extremely clever at fooling people when they want, they can be very mean and hurtful when drunk and then the next day they don't remember any of the bad things they did. I've seen it first hand. My wife has several family members who are alcoholics, my wife refuses to take a drop of alcohol because of that, and her fear is that it may be genetic. In our experience we really tried hard to help them and usher them towards a better life, but at the end of the day they did not want to change, the lies and deception eventually drive people away from helping.
Yep it is hard. Besides alcohol I have had a few close to me that went off the deep end on benzos and opiods, which also almost always leads to meth use as well at a point. Some of the hardest people to be around, even when you want more than anything to help. And then when they try to stop the pills, they end up resorting to alcohol to replace it. And I can say one of the hardest people ever to be around is a severely drunk meth head. Imagine a crazy drunk that never gets tired and is severely delusional. It will turn a normal, loveable person into one of the worst people ever. And it is painful as hell to watch unravel

And at a point, a family must decide how long to try to help, vs how long this person is doing damage to the rest of the family, especially when kids are involved. I think this is part of what eventually makes an addict end up on their own sometimes.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 01:20 PM
tof

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Maybe the hardest part of trying to help others is not judging them. Even when we think we don't, we kinda do. I think the fear of being judged keeps some who would benefit by it from seeking professional intervention.
This is just based on my experience.
The following users liked this post:
Lainey (08-29-2024)