S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Advice: My Next Car

Old 01-22-2005, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jan 22 2005, 04:23 PM
Damage to the engine as Tom points out however, would be major motivation to use the premium fuel.
If you take a look at the S2000 manual, it actually gives two octane levels. I think it recommends 92, but it also says never to use anything below 86.

I think this is because below 92 octane, the engine electronics retard the spark to avoid spark induced detonation, reducing performance. However, below 86 octane, the engine may be at risk of compression induced detonation. Since this is a mechanical effect that doesn't need a spark to happen, the engine electronics can't avoid it.

As cars get older, they can collect deposits that decrease the cylinder volume and thus increase the compression ratio. This is why using a higher grade of gasoline can often prevent "knock" in an older car. Using gasoline with sufficient detergent (a different issue than octane) can help prevent the buildup of deposits in the cylinders.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Warren

I understand your point but I've been so satisfied and delighted with the 8 Hondas that I've owned and the 1 Toyota, and so disappointed by everything else that I tend to look to Honda and Toyota first (only).

The 4Runner that I am giving to my son has 107,000 miles on it and I've not had to put a dime's worth of repairs into it. I have never owned any car that good. If I had to bet my life on a vehicle, my 4Runner would be it. The car is absolutely bullet proof.

The 8 Hondas that I've owned have been similar.

I'm just at that point in my life where I no longer want to look for trouble.

Sorry for going off topic, and this is a great theme for another thread, but I wanted to explain why I'm sold on Honda and Toyota.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jan 22 2005, 06:23 PM
Well, I can live without performance on an every day driver. Not the S. So I will continue to pile 93 octane into the S. But for any other car, I dunno. Damage to the engine as Tom points out however, would be major motivation to use the premium fuel.
Found this:

Gasoline FAQ

There's a good explanation of octane ratings, and this specific section mentions that while the engine mgmt system can compensate for lower octane fuel, it's not foolproof.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry in Wyoming,Jan 22 2005, 06:54 PM
I love the RSX-S as a replacement for my '93 Prelude VTEC. I'm hoping the '06 has curtain airbags.

For the curtain airbags only, I'd take the TSX over the RSX.

You can't be unhappy with either the RSX-S or the TSX.
Barry,

I love the RSX-S too. Every time I bring Liz's TL in for service I admire it. If we didn't have the TL and I needed a car, I'd buy either the TSX or the RSX-S. I'd probably end up with the TSX because I tend to need 4 doors (when I visit clients and we go out together) and a locking, separate trunk. But, I'd love to have the RSX-S as an everyday.

We would look at the Lexus line. I love Toyota quality, but there is way too much status associated with the emblem. I'm sort of turned off by it.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,Jan 22 2005, 04:39 PM
Sorry for going off topic, and this is a great theme for another thread, but I wanted to explain why I'm sold on Honda and Toyota.
Sorry, wasn't trying to push. The recommendation to look at a Jetta was actually directed as much at the originator of the thread as at you (he didn't mention VW as an acceptable brand, but hey, Pichetsreider moved to VW from BMW....)

And I agree it would be an interesting topic for its own thread....

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jan 22 2005, 07:14 AM
One other darkhorse candidate would be the Mini Cooper S. The only thing I worry about with that car is winter driving. The next car has to function in snow.
I think any front drive car will function in snow.

I have a coworker who recently got a Cooper S (convertible, no less). It seemed to be fine in the few inches of snow we've had so far this winter. Of course, our first real blizzard is just now coming down - we'll see if he makes it in on Monday.

He did have a problem with the convertible top that was promptly fixed by the dealer. That might be an argument for not getting the convertible - especially if you're going to drive it a lot in snow, anyway. (I hadn't even realized they came as convertibles until I saw his.)

And as I mentioned, you might take a look at the Jetta. My wife's (with the leather interior and the 1.8 turbo engine) is very, very nice.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:14 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

My .02. If you are serious about the Acura TSX, you should shop it against the Subaru Legacy GT. The sticker on the GT is 28.5. I would stretch to 29K and look at the GT Limited version with leather, sunroof and full seat adjustments.

The Legacy is a WRX STi for adults. 250 hp, 250 ft lbs of torque. Very clean lines. All wheel drive. Comfortable ride with good handling. You only get a 5 speed versus the TSX's 6, but the turbocharged engine doesn't need 6. 0 to 60 times for the GT are in the mid 5s versus the TSX's high 7s. The GT's Gas mileage isn't as good as the TSX's. TSX does better by about 4 mpg in spirited driving. Road and Track did a comparison in their October 04 issue.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jan 23 2005, 10:14 AM
My .02. If you are serious about the Acura TSX, you should shop it against the Subaru Legacy GT. The sticker on the GT is 28.5. I would stretch to 29K and look at the GT Limited version with leather, sunroof and full seat adjustments.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE=Legal Bill,Jan 23 2005, 11:14 AM] ....The Legacy is a WRX STi for adults.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by paS2K,Jan 23 2005, 12:50 PM
Our personal note on the VW Jetta option:
Our 02 Passat has not been a happy experience....spell it *l*e*m*o*n
I'd note that my recommendation was really just for the Jetta (and maybe the Golf which shares its platform).

When we went in to the dealer, the first thing the salesperson told us about was all the problem areas that had been fixed in the 2003 version. The things I can remember are the window motors and the door handles, though there were maybe half a dozen other things. I don't know if any of that stuff was common with the Passat.

Then again, my wife also bought from an incredibly good dealership.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not going anywhere near cars with a sniff of quality problems...which it sounds like VW has.

Quick Reply: Advice: My Next Car