S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Advice: My Next Car

Old 01-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like the TSX 6-spd would be perfect....not too large/ not too small....base msrp @ 27K

Oh, there's also the standard WRX 6 spd
Old 01-22-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jan 22 2005, 12:09 PM
How is the quality compared to Honda and Toyota?
Not sure, but if your looking at a lease, it's only short term and should be covered under warranty until the lease is up. Of course, it does not cover your aggrevation and time if it is a lemon, but I doubt it will be.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Jan 22 2005, 03:08 PM
Carm

We are adding a car to our fleet in April. I am going to take over Liz's 2003 TL TypeS (which by the way I love. I think it's everything a 4 door sedan should be.), I am giving Andrew my 4Runner and we are buying a new car for Liz. Our choices are narrowed down to the Civic EX (4 door) and the Acura TSX.

So far Liz seems to favor the Civic because it is smaller, lighter and more simple in general, but, it is lacking in some of the luxury features that she likes. The TSX seems like quite a car and quite a value, but it is slightly larger than the Civic and heavier. Also, it uses premium gas, and that is something that has bothered my practical wife since we've gotten the TL.

My first choice, in your position, would be the TL and my second choice would be the TSX.

Remember, this is coming from someone who tends to favor Honda and Toyota products. I personally don't like the G35 coupe, and I don't trust Nissan quality, but I have a few friends who own G35s and love them.
Rob,

I like the TL but it is over 30k. Also, for what it's worth, our BMW X3 owners manual says to use 92 octane or higher. The boss found something she read which says that is all used by auto manufacturers to make their cars look "premium". The onboard computer adjusts automatically to the gas being used. Perhaps a topic for another thread. (Maybe xviper will weigh in on this one.) Since then we have been using 87 octane without problems. Anyone want to comment on this? As I mentioned earlier, I want to see the next generation Civic. This was THE car for teens in the past 5+ years. Honda had a lot of catching up to do. I am anxious to see what it looks like and the performance.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:04 PM

Get another S2000 and put snow tires and a hard top on it?
Old 01-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jan 22 2005, 06:01 PM
.....something she read which says that is all used by auto manufacturers to make their cars look "premium". The onboard computer adjusts automatically to the gas being used.....Since then we have been using 87 octane without problems. Anyone want to comment on this? ....
I heard the same story....I think it was on NPR? In any event, I've mostly been using *89* octane for the past year, except when going on various S2000 drives

I suppose there is less hp generated...perhaps at an adjusted lower compression ratio? In the course of at least 10,000 miles of driving, I have not noticed any difference
Old 01-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jan 22 2005, 06:01 PM
Rob,

I like the TL but it is over 30k. Also, for what it's worth, our BMW X3 owners manual says to use 92 octane or higher. The boss found something she read which says that is all used by auto manufacturers to make their cars look "premium". The onboard computer adjusts automatically to the gas being used. Perhaps a topic for another thread. (Maybe xviper will weigh in on this one.) Since then we have been using 87 octane without problems. Anyone want to comment on this? As I mentioned earlier, I want to see the next generation Civic. This was THE car for teens in the past 5+ years. Honda had a lot of catching up to do. I am anxious to see what it looks like and the performance.
Carm, Jerry,

The compression ratio doesn't change, the onboard sensor and computer retards the timing. Performance suffers.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:52 PM

^You also run a greater risk of detonation, especially under load. Detonation may not always be detectable, but it will always do damage to an engine. To me it's not worth the little bit of savings to run a gasoline with a lower octane than that reccomended by the mfr.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the RSX-S as a replacement for my '93 Prelude VTEC. I'm hoping the '06 has curtain airbags.

For the curtain airbags only, I'd take the TSX over the RSX.

You can't be unhappy with either the RSX-S or the TSX.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Jan 22 2005, 06:48 PM
Carm, Jerry,

The compression ratio doesn't change, the onboard sensor and computer retards the timing. Performance suffers.
Well, I can live without performance on an every day driver. Not the S. So I will continue to pile 93 octane into the S. But for any other car, I dunno. Damage to the engine as Tom points out however, would be major motivation to use the premium fuel.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,Jan 22 2005, 12:08 PM
So far Liz seems to favor the Civic because it is smaller, lighter and more simple in general, but, it is lacking in some of the luxury features that she likes. The TSX seems like quite a car and quite a value, but it is slightly larger than the Civic and heavier.
This is something that bothers me about automakers' attitudes. Why can't we get more upscale small cars? I think there are plenty of people who have the money for the amenities, but don't need or want the extra space or size - especially people who are themselves smaller than average.

The New Mini seems to be selling really well here in the Boston area. Every one I've seen is the upscale "S" version, so the buyers obviously have some extra money. Why aren't there more cars made for this market?

If you guys would consider moving beyond Japanese cars, you might look at a VW Jetta. I think it's about Civic size, but I think nicer in terms of features - I won't claim that it's quite at a BMW level, but my wife certainly doesn't regret passing over a BMW for it.

Quick Reply: Advice: My Next Car