S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Advice: My Next Car

Old 01-22-2005, 06:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Advice: My Next Car

Well, the lease on my 3 series expires in March. I'm looking for some advice on what to get next. Normally it would be another 3, particularly with the new design coming out for the '06's (to be introduced this spring). However, we added a BMW X3 (lease) to the family fleet in November. Because of this, I'm looking to keep the cost of the next car down as much as possible. This car will be a purchase, not a lease. My original interest was in the new Acura TL. But that will be significantly over $30k. As will the new 3. For me, it is either a BMW, Honda or Toyota. I'm not interested in any America cars or even American cars masquerading as Japanese cars (i.e. Mazda/Ford). Toyota doesn't really have anything that turns me on. I haven't really considered what's in the Lexus fleet recently but was somewhat enamored with the IS300 last year. Any advice on Lexus options? BMW's are all over 30k so that's not going to be a fit. One of those in the garage is enough. So that leaves Honda/Acura. The Accord styling doesn't really do a whole lot for me. I'm interested in seeing what the Civic redesign will look like. I haven't seen any spy photos of it in the car mags. With Acura I just ordered an RSX and TX brochure. The TSX may be the front runner as we speak. Yes, I know it's a glorified Accord but the styling seems nicer. Saw a black one in a parking lot yesterday with tan leather interior. Sweet. . One other darkhorse candidate would be the Mini Cooper S. The only thing I worry about with that car is winter driving. The next car has to function in snow.

One final note from a functionality standpoint. The S is the toy/fun car. The X3 is the practical sizeable "hauler". So the new car can be a smaller car...doesn't necessarily have to be 4 doors. On the other hand, does it make sense to get another "sporty" car (i.e. RSX Type-S) when I have the S? Does that put the TSX in front of the RSX? Ah, decisions, decisions.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carmen - how about an Infinite G35 Coupe?
Old 01-22-2005, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by matrix,Jan 22 2005, 10:36 AM
Carmen - how about an Infinite G35 Coupe?
Had not considered that. Thanks. Is it under 30k?
Old 01-22-2005, 06:59 AM

i have been happy with our 3.5 altima from nissan. good power, lots of room, nice features and priced right
Old 01-22-2005, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jan 22 2005, 10:53 AM
Had not considered that. Thanks. Is it under 30k?
MSRP is just over...
Old 01-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,531 Likes on 1,912 Posts

I don't know anything about your choices but I do know where there's an '04 RSX that is only a couple months old and should be up for sale soon. My dad recently sold his Accura NSX to the dealer and got a silver RSX. Now he's been turned into the DMV for Alzheimer's and can't renew his license. Good thing too!
Old 01-22-2005, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by matrix,Jan 22 2005, 11:13 AM
MSRP is just over...
Have never owned a Nissan product. How is the quality compared to Honda and Toyota? I should have mentioned that I did a quick "build and price" on the Acura web site and the RSX Type-S with some body kit stuff was around 25k. The TSX nicely equipped was about 28k.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:34 AM

Anything but yellow
Old 01-22-2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by rjosey8385,Jan 22 2005, 01:34 PM
Anything but yellow
Old 01-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Carm

We are adding a car to our fleet in April. I am going to take over Liz's 2003 TL TypeS (which by the way I love. I think it's everything a 4 door sedan should be.), I am giving Andrew my 4Runner and we are buying a new car for Liz. Our choices are narrowed down to the Civic EX (4 door) and the Acura TSX.

So far Liz seems to favor the Civic because it is smaller, lighter and more simple in general, but, it is lacking in some of the luxury features that she likes. The TSX seems like quite a car and quite a value, but it is slightly larger than the Civic and heavier. Also, it uses premium gas, and that is something that has bothered my practical wife since we've gotten the TL.

My first choice, in your position, would be the TL and my second choice would be the TSX.

Remember, this is coming from someone who tends to favor Honda and Toyota products. I personally don't like the G35 coupe, and I don't trust Nissan quality, but I have a few friends who own G35s and love them.

Quick Reply: Advice: My Next Car