S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

9/11 Remembered

Old 09-12-2024, 02:16 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 991 Likes on 511 Posts

Gene- Your picture is from the South West corner of the map. The 4 "similar" buildings with the different shaped roofs are the World Financial Center buildings. The larger black rectangle in the back is 1 Liberty Plaza. I think Meryll Lynch was in there. The "old school" skyscraper behind that I believe was the old AT&T building.

Interesting site here: https://earth3dmap.com/new-york-3d-map/ - unfortunately, no apparent street map overlay.

I also don't think many people realized the WTC complex was 7 buildings. I was probably in WTC 6 the least, but it was the Customs House and IIRC had a bit of security back then, WTC 4 was the Commodity Exchange (the Trading Places references was about this).
The following users liked this post:
jukngene (09-12-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 05:57 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 991 Likes on 511 Posts

Another odd 'connection' for me?

I spent the day with a old friend, around 50 years now, who was my neighbor growing up. He spent about 20 years in LA, chased a comedy and acting career, had trouble with real jobs, and now moved back with his parents who are having some health issues.

Went back to the house after a day at the boardwalk playing stupid games and starting talking. Property taxes in NJ came up, and then a conversation about would we "trade" lower taxes for less jobs, worse schools, hospital/medical access, proximity to things including airports. His dad said that the last time he was at Newark Airport was September 8, 2001, when he picked up his father and uncle. They went to Jersey City NJ (where they grew up) and took pictures along the water with the towers behind them. Just 3 days before the attacks.
Old 09-15-2024, 06:31 AM

Received 3,770 Likes on 2,660 Posts

I've heard the reports about other terrorists being on other planes that did not fly that morning, so if they existed then they apparently disappeared and went into hiding when they disembarked the plane(s). They could not have caught a flight back to their homeland as everything was closed down for a long time. You think more would have been made of this if their names and identities were known, but there was no mention of them on terror watch lists etc. It seems like one of our members here could have been on such a flight, lucky for Matt in VA to have gotten off the plane that morning, but there could have been other planes involved.

I suspect the shear amount of confusion that day allowed any grounded terrorist to escape into the crowds of people, and the communication failures between all of the Federal departments didn't help either. They may have hid out long enough to eventually get out of the country, and perhaps with the help of others helping within the country ?

CNN.com - Box cutters found on other September 11 flights - September 24, 2001

Last edited by zeroptzero; 09-15-2024 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2024, 06:53 AM

Received 1,719 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
I was on a United 767 bound for Denver at Dulles Airport that morning. We never got off of the ground due to a problem with the rudder. I was able to upgrade to first class (using miles), so I was in seat 3D. The technician made several trips passed me on his way to the cockpit. The person sitting across the aisle from me called his office to have them call the people that he was meeting in Denver to tell them that our flight was delayed. A few minutes later his phone rang and he said: "Is tjhat so!" Then after he hung up he said out loud (too no one in particular) "Someone just flew a plane into the World Trade Center".

The person sitting in front of me, who looked Middle Eastern (dark complexion and short dark hair got very agitated, jumped up and went into his bag in the overhead and pulled out a small book. Which I later discovered is published by the Airline Tariff Publishing Company (at Dulles Airport KIAD). It is a master list of every airline flight in the U.S.. Minutes later the Captain came on the PA and instructed us to de-plane. The person sitting to my right asked me if I was a member of the Red Carpet Club, which I was not. Bob said to me why don't you come with me as my guest.

As we entered the club Bob walked up to the woman behind the reception desk and asked "Do we know what is going on? (meaning with our flight). She just burst into tears and ran off. Her co-worker stepped over and said: " We just found out that one of the planes was ours". She said that the TV was around the corner. CNN was showing the second plane hitting the WTC.. After several minutes they evacuated the airport. And I went home.

For years I wondered about the guy in front of me and why he got so agitated. Then at Spring Fling in 2009 in Cape May, NJ I was talking with Les (screen name MD Rocket) along with a few others and somehow the subject of 9-11 came up. I mentioned that I was on United flight 1235 that never got off of the ground due to a problem with the rudder. Les yelled to his Wife Vera "Matt was on Sherry's airplane!" She came running over to me and gave me a big HUG. Her bast friend was the purser on that flight. When the FBI went over the passenger manifest they identified four people on my plane. Her friend resigned from United after learning that we were on the fifth plane.

I have raad the 9-11 report and there is no mention of a fifth plane. However, two years ago a woman that I know at the American Legion Post that I frequent mentioned 9-11. Her husband is a U.S. Marshal that works at the jail in Alexandria, VA where Musari (spelling ?) was held. He confirmed that there was a fifth plane. I have also been told that Fox did a documentary that mentioned my flight.

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I've heard the reports about other terrorists being on other planes that did not fly that morning, so if they existed then they apparently disappeared and went into hiding when they disembarked the plane(s). They could not have caught a flight back to their homeland as everything was closed down for a long time. You think more would have been made of this if their names and identities were known, but there was no mention of them on terror watch lists etc. It seems like one of our members here could have been on such a flight, lucky for Matt in VA to have gotten off the plane that morning, but there could have been other planes involved.

I suspect the shear amount of confusion that day allowed any grounded terrorist to escape into the crowds of people, and the communication failures between all of the Federal departments didn't help either. They may have hid out long enough to eventually get out of the country, and perhaps with the help of others helping within the country ?

CNN.com - Box cutters found on other September 11 flights - September 24, 2001
I can tell you there were other planes with Muslim terrorists on them. Shutting down the entire USA air traffic system absolutely saved lives. Dick Cheney got that one right. I can also tell you the order was given to shoot down airliners heading for Washington DC. The other targets included cities on the west coast and a few in the midwest. We know now how many terrorists escaped from capture afterwards. We have documentation and video.

zeroptzero (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 08:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,646 Posts

I can't begin to think about receiving the order to take down a US carrier if you were a fighter pilot.
zeroptzero (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 10:16 AM

Received 3,770 Likes on 2,660 Posts

Thank you Jim, great information as always. The good side is that lives were saved despite so many being lost.

I don't know what would be worse for a passenger, crashing into a building or being shot down by a missile. I suspect death would be equally quick with either scenario ? I dunno.
Old 09-16-2024, 11:03 AM

Received 1,719 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero

I don't know what would be worse for a passenger, crashing into a building or being shot down by a missile. I suspect death would be equally quick with either scenario ? I dunno.
Death itself in either case is pretty fast and without pain as the nerve impulses cannot travel fast enough to register pain due to the speed of impact crushing the human body. Crashing into a building would mean that passengers, especially in the rear, would see the rapidly collapsing aircraft before the impact reaches them. In a missile shot, those close to the explosion are going to perish immediately. However, as the plane breaks up, people will be aware of the final decent. It is possible that some will lose consciousness depending on the altitude but as they fall they should regain consciousness again from a physiological standpoint. Those pax uninjured from the blast and breakup will see the ground coming up and know that their demise is upon them. Some passengers and crew fall free of the aircraft and others remain seated and strapped in. The Malaysian B777 breakup over Russia from a ground to air missile a few years ago as well as the shootdown of Korea Flt 007 by the Soviets in the 80s (see a link here?) were both perfect examples. The B747 took about 8 minutes to descend into the ocean as it was more intact than the Malay B777 which completely broke apart. Bodies and aircraft pieces floated down with some penetrating roofs of occupied dwellings. Even the Challenger astronauts survived the explosion and were conscious and activating systems during the decent after hull aerodynamic breakup.

What goes through someone's mind seeing imminent physical destruction is dependent on that person's outlook and to some degree, spiritual condition. I have heard a number of cockpit recordings of the last moments. Some fight to the very end, some express surprise or befuddlement (WTF?), some become profane, some utter words of love to family members knowing that speech is recorded. Others still call out to God and mothers. That the mortally wounded call out to moms (but not to fathers) is also seen in combat.

Last edited by cosmomiller; 09-16-2024 at 11:05 AM.
zeroptzero (09-16-2024)