S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

2005 Recap. Was it a good year?

Old 01-01-2006, 07:57 AM

Received 4,264 Likes on 3,318 Posts

My year started out badly with a business venture going sour and I ended up unemployed with zero income for close to a month but I pulled myself out of it and work-wise I'm back in the groove again.
My family and friends all remained healthy and happy throughout the year which is most important in life.
One of my personal highlights this year was the Lake George meet and meeting new friends and seeing old ones again.
Best to all for 06'
Old 01-01-2006, 09:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I reflect back to 2005 and find myself being grateful for a personal life that has remained relatively untouched by some of the horrific things that has passed before my eyes. Just when I start to feel that things in my own life aren't going quite as well as I would like or sense that there could be more, I witness the pain and suffering that others cause themselves and the grief they inflict upon others. I see the misery that results when loved ones must deal with the aftermath of thoughtlessness and ill will. And then there's the natural cycle of life that cannot always be affected by intervention with happy consequences.
I have never in my "vintage" span of existence, as I have in the past 3 months, involved myself in so many struggles for life -- the relief and joy when one is saved; the feeling of loss, frustration and hopelessness when those are lost. The loss so cruelly outweighing the saved in life's seemingly unfair balance; the sorrow in the eyes of loved ones who are left behind, with no words that can lend comfort.
One can become very jaded in the way life is viewed in the presence of such events so close. For me, I'd rather see just how good my own time here is and how fortunate I and my loved ones have had it. I revel in those small joys that for others, may go unnoticed. How great it was to meet with some of you this past year and to be allowed to spend some time and build memories with you. I cherish those sights and sounds of places I've never been to before. I continue to marvel at how such an inanimate object like a car can compel total strangers to gravitate toward one another and at times, forge bonds that transcend far beyond that object.
I guess I could look back and say what a terrible year it has been. But I'd rather look back and say what a great year it has been. My personal woes weren't so bad afterall.
The very best to all of you and may our paths intersect (again) in this year as it unfolds.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=xviper,Jan 1 2006, 02:09 PM]I reflect back to 2005 and find myself being grateful for a personal life that has remained relatively untouched by some of the horrific things that has passed before my eyes.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,520 Likes on 1,906 Posts

I finally read this thread. Without looking at my calendar for 2005 I will think of what sticks out in my mind, for the year 2005.

Between Feb. and Dec., my first born turned 18, graduated High School with high honors, moved out into an apartment and started college at UC Irvine, completing summer school and her first quarter. That has been a roller coaster of joy and tears, as we three at home miss her here.

My husband has turned developer for the second time, designing a project all by himself, and has been jumping through hoops and over hurdles for all of 2005. We finally broke ground on the land at the end of the year and hope to see it completed by summer. It has kept him very busy since he continues to run his own business too.

My son who is now 17, has done very well at school completing 10th grade and starting 11th grade, and driving himself and friends. He has had his driver's license for over a year and has been very careful on his 20 mile trip to and from school.

My Dad's wife walked out on him (and his condition of Alzheimer's) and he turned 80. It's been stressful for me to try to get him to stop driving and figure out what to do. My sister took him home to Kauai, but he will be back in my area and under my wing within 2 months, at a near-by Assisted Living facility. I will start a new relationship with him. It will be bitter-sweet as he declines but continues to be full of humor. He is proud of his good looks and will be having fun with all the attention the ladies will be giving him. If we could just get him to walk and bathe!

What about me? I'm a mom and wife so my life revolves around my family's. Since my kids are now 17 and 18, I am needed less and less to do things for them. My husband has been very busy this year so I have had more time to fill up how I wanted. In April I had a shock when I ended up with an emergency MRI for a ruptured disc in my back. I finally had to stop jogging which I have always loved doing. I joined a gym for the first time in my life, to use their elliptical trainer instead.

The pain and recovery made me have to cancel our trip to the Vintage Spring Fling. But after being so sad at missing that event, I decided to drive back in my S2000, to OhioRacer's Buckeye Run in July. That ended up being a great adventure for me. I met new people there like Doug, Dennis and Ed.

To top off the fun of meeting my S2ki buddies, I flew back in October for the Lake George meet. I got to see friends I already knew, and meet new S2ki people too, like Lainey, Legal Bill, Phil, robb, Levi, and Jim.

Those things stick out. I had some challenges but it's all worked out. It wasn't an easy year but I don't think they (life) will be, any more. As I look forward to the challenges coming my way (like my Dad), I keep telling myself, "It's going to be fine." The older I get the easier I get stressed out. I don't know why but I need to stop it.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Dec 31 2005, 10:53 AM
One more good thing about 2005. I you guys!!!!:

Hey! I just saw these pics!

We had a great time with everyone - can't wait to do it all again! So many thanks for all of you to have taken time out of your schedules during this time of the year to see Denise and I.

PS - I didn't really drink as much as I look like I did in that last pic!

2005 was a good year.