S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

2005 Recap. Was it a good year?

Old 12-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts
Default 2005 Recap. Was it a good year?

Now that the year is coming to an end, I thought it might be fun to recap some of our accomplishments, milestones, happenings and highlights. What did you do in 2005? What went on?

For me some of the years highlights were (not in any particular order):

1. I received my license to practice as a Certified Public Accountant in New York, now I'm licensed in both New Jersey and New York.

2. My oldest son Andrew received his drivers license, became a senior in high school, and has been accepted into three colleges so far.

3. We bought two Civics and traded in my 4Runner. I just ordered a 2006 Civic for myself.

4. Went to a couple of meets, and made a few more S2000 friends.

5. My youngest son Adam graduated from elementary school and started middle school.

6. We had my father's unveiling, and all gathered to pay our respects.

7. We, my family and I, survived another year in good shape, relatively speaking.

How about you? How did 2005 treat you? What, either personally or professionaly, happened. What were your highlights? Was it a good year?
Old 12-26-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It started off on a high note, with the birth of our daughter on 1/4. Of course, she missed being our little tax deduction by a few days, but we forgive her

I bought my s2k in February, yay!

We gave our '94 Civic with damaged engine, dead A/C and electrical problems to Purple Heart, expecting a $500 tax deduction. They told us it sold for $1600, which is $100 more than I would have asked if it had been running.

My parents came to visit for six weeks. It's always nice to see them. In another six weeks, I'll have lived in the US for 16 years, so they don't see me that much.

We did some traveling. Not as much as I'd like, but we got to Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Monterrey, and St. John, USVI.

To end the year on a high note, my youngest brother (and only un-married sibling) just got engaged to his gf of seven years, so we'll be going back for a wedding in 2007.

Professionally, things are great at the job, but I'm not happy with where we are. The goal for 2006 is to double our income. I know, money's not the most important thing, but the more you have, the less important it becomes

I wish everyone all the best for 2006, whatever your goals and dreams may be.

Dave.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 5,770 Likes on 3,401 Posts

You guys are talking like a couple accountants having a drink!

I fell in love with my wife again, I fell in love with my S2000 again, I fell in love with my dog again, ......... I lied............. I never stop love 'em, that's why I can't wait for another year.

You have to excuse me, but my wife and I were just sitting here in front of this pc and it was shoving out photos of our life..... some random program that does that. And, we both agreed, it's been a another wonderful year and a wonderful life.

I wish you all the best for the coming year. We are not rich and we are not famous but I can say with a clear heart that there are only two or three things that I would have changed if I could over my entire life; otherwise, we have been blessed.

May God bless you and yours in the year to come.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:03 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

I will always remember 2005 for my wifes (Karla) triple heart by-pass surgery/recovery in July and the Lake George gathering in Oct.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:54 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,957 Likes on 1,749 Posts

I had to go back and look at my notes on my 2005 calendar to remember everything! All in all a very good year for me:

January and February were spent meeting and greeting men to see if they made the cut for the dating pool.

March proved to be significant in two ways. First, I went out to CA for the 5th Anniversary S2Ki Meet, and met lots of members I only knew online. And saw a few I had already met offline. Very fun. Then March 16th, I met the man who would cause me to ditch the dating pool - my very cute, funny, smart, and sweet +1, Vito.

The end of April was the very, very fun Spring Fling in Berkeley Springs, WV. Except for Granny's slight mishap there, we all had a blast.

In May, went to a small local meet. Also, the +1 and I saw Mamma Mia (I for the second time). A great show. Rolling Thunder in DC and my first Nats game were the highlights of Memorial weekend.

In June, met the +1's son for the first time. Also organized/went on a NOVA drive with some of the Mid-A members.

July 4th weekend, went up to NJ to be checked out () by the +1's extended Italian family at his niece's wedding. Had a wonderful time. The +1's son came for another visit, and my sister and her hubby visited from FL. Then, in mid-July, attempted to drive with the +1 up to OH for the Buckeye Run, but got waylayed in the mountains of WV by a messed up differential/U-joint. Had to flatbed the baby back home to be fixed, and missed all my buds. Bummer...Saw Tom Jones in concert (fabulous) on the 17th, then left with the +1 for a week in Scotland. Wonderful trip.

My baby was returned to me in great working order in early August. Another baby arrived on the scene with the birth of Abby (Carmen's (OhioRacer's) little angel). Then my sister came for another visit, along with my brother from AZ. Went on another NOVA drive with more Mid-A peeps.

September saw the +1 head out for a big Navy missile launch with the Royal Navy in FL. Was a major success. While he was gone, had a nice dinner with Carmen, Suzanne and Granny. Also sold my aunt's house in NC, after renting it out for seven years.

October was the 50th Anniversary of my high school (the whole school, not my class) in McLean, VA, so went with the +1 to the reunion. We hosted some runners in the Marine Corps Marathon for the night-before pasta dinner. Unfortunately, the end of October saw my mother in the hospital. She managed to rally, however, and has been doing OK since. I'm very grateful.

November started with Lenny Kravitz and Aerosmith in concert, followed by a bluegrass concert the next week. Then we went to Cavalia, an amazing horseshow/extravaganza. My niece and her family came for Thanksgiving and we all had a great time.

And *finally* December...whew, this got long. Early in the month, we went to the Army/Navy game in Philly - Navy won handily but we almost froze to death. Then I put a contract on a new, larger condo in the same building where I live now, and refinanced (cashed out) my current apartment in preparation to buy the new one. Settlement on the new one January 10th - I'm VERY excited about it. Celebrated the +1's birthday in mid-month by attending the Bon Jovi concert, which has to rank right up there with the best concerts I've ever seen. Really awesome! The +1's kids arrived shortly thereafter (finally met his daughter) for a visit with their dad for Christmas in NJ last week. While they were gone, had a great dinner with Marco (matrix) and his wife Denise. They were in DC for Christmas. Planning a dinner this Thursday night with them and a few other Vintage members. Should be lots of fun!! This Sat night is a New Year's Eve dinner/dance to ring in 2006!!!

Whew...I think I'm done. This sounds like one of those awful letters people send out with their holiday cards. Hope I didn't bore anyone too much. All in all, a banner year. Let's ring out the old and ring in the new!! Woohoo!! As soon as January 2nd rolls around, it will be planning in earnest for the next Sping Fling in June. Get ready, Y'all!
Old 12-27-2005, 05:24 AM

Received 3,203 Likes on 1,854 Posts

We had a good year filled with S2000 activities.

We enjoyed Vintage meets at SF in WV and Lake George, NY. It was good to put faces to names on our Vintage buddies, as well as a few pre-vints.

We hosted the New England group for a drive and cook out in July and we were very pleased with the turn out and the "reviews" of the whole thing. We hope to plan another drive in 2006.

While Disney World is not tops on my vacation destinations, we enjoyed a trip there and came away with some great memories of time spent with the granddaughter.

We continue to spend lots of time with our granddaughter and thoroughly enjoy each minute with her (well just about each minute, anyway).

In 2006, we are looking forward to a trip to AZ in the spring, as well as the SF06 in Watkins Glenn, and of course the Nor'Easter in CT in August.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a year that started out pretty badly (our house in Santa Fe got buglarized), 2005 has turned out to be quite good, all-in-all -- and the good stuff has fit together in an unpredictable way.

I didn't get a couple of jobs that, in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't get (both because of the jobs and the locations); and I did get one that's just right -- plus that's the one that moved me to where having an S is the Right Thing To Do, car-wise.

If 2006 turns out to be this good, I just won't know what to think. HPH
Old 12-27-2005, 08:18 AM

Our son Nathan came into our lives after four years of trying. That alone makes it a banner year.

While having a baby, had my first skin cancer scare. Talk about reminders of mortality.

Started a new business that looks like it will overtake ReadyRamp in sales in '06.

All in all, a great year.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

As with others in this S2000 family, a lot of 2005 revolved around this amazing little car.....but with other real family stuff too

February visit to Raleigh- Durham w/ favorite cousin
Spring in Berkeley Springs with the vintage crowd. Great fun!
May- Looking into an S2K upgrade and deciding that GPW/tan would be a great choice; finding a local creampuff for a modest $$ differential
June- Bought the '03 GPW and sold the '00 Silverstone the same day to a good friend....in spite of some contrary advice on this board. With great interest and trepidation, followed (via email) our dtr's 6 week 'spiritual journey' in the Middle East (Jordan, Israel, Syria, Egypt, Palestine, Lebanon).
July- Had worst accident of my driving career...major damage to front of S....lucky to walk away with NO injury to Jerry. Loooooooong process of delays to get repairs done.....60 days out of service.
Sept- GPW returned in excellent shape, with new '04 front bumper Ended consulting gig as planned on 9/30.
Oct- Attended the terrific L Geo gathering that Rob and I planned; Put all affairs in order and left for great 25 day trip to New Zealand; first meeting w/ new S2K friend in Christchurch, Sue Robb (aka Little Penguin).
Nov- Returned to US; re-oriented to a crowded east coast metro area and took up challenge to find the next work assignment. Proud to listen to dtr's first sermon in her Boston area 'intern' church.
Dec- Gave moral support to our son as he completed his BA course work @ Bowdoin; much anxiety and hard work rewarded by completion. Received verbal offer for a good architectural position....expecting negotiation over the next week or two.

2006 should be a good year, but there are always 'bumps along the road'
As noted elsewhere, I'm working on designs for a new 'empty nester' vintage home here in our small town....that will be one of the biggest events....if I can pull it off and get buy-in from the +1
Old 12-27-2005, 12:08 PM

I turned 40 Am I allowed to post now?

2005 was a mixed bag emotions and lessons in life.

Hurricane season came and went without damage to my area unlike 04...

Forgave an ex who made some bad decisions and was rewarded by meeting a wonderful woman who I am in love with

Learned not to build a home for a friend

Totalled my car in Nov. 2 nights before I turned 40 but walked away with not even a scratch. "yes, I was sober"

Put up my first tree this christmas in 5 years since losing my Mother! Had my family over to celebrate

Looking forward to 06

Quick Reply: 2005 Recap. Was it a good year?