S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

2 Lives, 2 Deaths

Old 06-25-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2 Lives, 2 Deaths

I had coffee with an old friend today and he shared with me that an acquaintance had recently commited suicide and shot himself in his family room. He had a 7 year old daughter and a wife. 1 life, 1 death.

Entertainer Michael Jackson just died of an apparent heart attack. 1 life, 1 death.

1 life, 1 death has the media in a frenzy. One is quietly unreported. Both are equally tragic to their respective families. What is the worlds fascination with celebrities? Why isn't CNN covering the death of my friends acquaintance?

One guy was gifted with vocal and dance skills. One guy was gifted with skills as a pharmacist. Is one more important than the other?

2 lives, 2 deaths, 1 media frenzy. Food for thought.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jun 25 2009, 10:48 PM
I had coffee with an old friend today and he shared with me that an acquaintance had recently commited suicide and shot himself in his family room. He had a 7 year old daughter and a wife. 1 life, 1 death.

Entertainer Michael Jackson just died of an apparent heart attack. 1 life, 1 death.

1 life, 1 death has the media in a frenzy. One is quietly unreported. Both are equally tragic to their respective families. What is the worlds fascination with celebrities? Why isn't CNN covering the death of my friends acquaintance?

One guy was gifted with vocal and dance skills. One guy was gifted with skills as a pharmacist. Is one more important than the other?

2 lives, 2 deaths, 1 media frenzy. Food for thought.
Simple answer, one was well known, the other sadly not.

Here is more food for thought , 2 celebrities died today and 2 more were born to one recently

Sarah Jessica Parker recently had twins 2 days ago.

Also this line from your post exemplifies class

Both are equally tragic to their respective families.

If you see your friend pass along my condolences to the family of his acquaintance
Old 06-26-2009, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carmen, I also marvel at society's fascination with celebrity in general. While MJ and FF were talented people in their own rights, look at the other "celebrities" that monopolize the boob tube to the point of finding nothing else to watch when you're in the mood to vegetate. I don't even know who most of these people are nor why they are celebrities to begin with. And yet the general population must hang on their every movement or else why are they on tv to begin with? One of my happiest days was when I realized I had not had to see Paris Hilton's face for an entire day. How odd to be famous simply for being famous and having contributed nothing else to the world. And WTH are these Jon and Kate people that keep getting crammed down my throat? I've never heard of them and don't give a rat's patoot who they are, how many kids they have or wtf is sleeping with whom. Why are they on tv? I could rant about dozens of people I'm sure if I hadn't virtually given up watching tv in general just to be relieved of having to sit through this brain-decaying garbage.

Why are people who make real contributions to improving the world not the "celebrities" that society chooses to worship? The scientists that developed the new drug that appears to be effective against breast, ovarian and prostate cancers? The brave souls in the trenches ever day fighting for freedom around the world? The educators that are trying to make a difference in the lives of the youth of of the world. I could go on forever about people I would actually care to know more about but probably never will because some welfare recipient in pink sponge rollers and a mumu in a trialer park somewhere prefers to watch Jerry Springer or some "reality" show (where IS the "reality" in reality shows?).

Ok rant over. You may now return to your regularly scheduled broadcast.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:24 AM

Received 2,714 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Old 06-26-2009, 06:55 AM

Received 783 Likes on 468 Posts

I often wonder about the degradation of society if what passes for reality on television is true reality. I saw a blip promoting the "Real Housewives of New Jersey" on HGTV (usually a safe network) the other day and was utterly appalled at not only the appearance of these trampy looking women, but at the profanity that was being spewed by one of them. I'm beginning to think that it would be a good thing to simply abandon tv altogether in favor of a good book or movie.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:17 AM

Hey, it just hit me, Martha came out to play for a bit!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by martha,Jun 26 2009, 08:09 AM
....And WTH are these Jon and Kate people that keep getting crammed down my throat? I've never heard of them and don't give a rat's patoot who they are, how many kids they have or wtf is sleeping with whom. Why are they on tv? .....Ok rant over. You may now return to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

We watch Jeopardy some evenings, but then have to quickly exit NBC before their "Celebrity of the Day" show comes on
Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 PM

Quite true, Martha, normal just does not hold our fascination. We just don't remember the mastery of an Ansel Adams.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by valentine,Jun 26 2009, 06:55 AM
I often wonder about the degradation of society if what passes for reality on television is true reality. I saw a blip promoting the "Real Housewives of New Jersey" on HGTV (usually a safe network) the other day and was utterly appalled at not only the appearance of these trampy looking women, but at the profanity that was being spewed by one of them. I'm beginning to think that it would be a good thing to simply abandon tv altogether in favor of a good book or movie.
Couldn't agree more.

My wife watches 'stupid housewives from wherever' every time it is on and every time it is on I head out of the door! There is more 'entertainment' watching paint dry.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:40 PM

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

I agree too, there is no reality in these presentations. How people can waste time sitting through such garbage is mind boggling to me. Do they not realize that all of these camera crews and directors have to be set up in every room or setting first- and that there must be a script and several takes in order to arrive at the smooth flowing, mistake free presentation? How can someone be real & natural with cameras and lights in their faces and throughout their homes?

Quick Reply: 2 Lives, 2 Deaths