S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

***Official Vintage "Shoot the Breeze" Thread!***

Old 08-27-2004, 05:48 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by grannyrod,Aug 27 2004, 11:24 AM
Anybody heard from Gene lately? Is he on vacation or something? Gene, we miss you.
Granny

I think he and Bea left for North Carolina to visit with Gene's mother about a week and a half ago.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:59 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

You know how the older you get, the more time flies, and you just can't seem to squeeze in everything you want /need to do?

Friday, I left work at 1:00 to go home get some things done. I'm usually home by 4:15.

But it was a nice day, out, so I decided to have lunch with my sister before going home. Then I decided I needed to go to a book store, but since it was so nice, I should go home and get the "S" for some top down driving. After the book store, it was SO nice out I had to go for a ride by the beach. Next thing I know, it's 3:30, and I'm still not home doing the things I left work early to do.

I got home around 4:00, 15 whole minutes early! But what a day it was to be riding around in the "S".
Old 08-30-2004, 06:07 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

^ Sounds to me like you did exactly the right thing, Lainey. You don't get those important moments back.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,529 Likes on 1,910 Posts

I just finished reading my printout of tommyra's thread from 6-14-04, Dementia.

My dad was officially diagnosed with Alzheimers on Wednesday and I can't ignore it anymore. He told me he wasn't going to do anything about moving into an Assisted Living place and that it would be my problem when he's unable to do for himself anymore. Luckily for me, Andy is very strong and will be the one to get the ball rolling now, so we are more prepared for the future.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Wow...that's a tough one, Patty. Where is your father living now? Near you? It sounds like the burden is falling on you. Do you have support from any other family members? You need to try to get a medical power of attorney naming you as the responsible party. If you can get him to sign it before things get worse and you have to have him ruled incompetent in order to get it. Much more complicated. Also legal power of attorney so you can handle his affairs when he is no longer able to, including having him put in an Alzheimer's facility. I've been doing both of those things for my aunt for six years. She doesn't have Alzheimer's but I make all those decisions for her. It will make your life so much easier. And there are lots of resources out there now for you, including support groups. Good luck...
Old 08-30-2004, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hi everybody!

Patty - I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. A really tricky situation, but MsPerky has the right idea. We'll be rooting for you!
Old 08-30-2004, 04:23 PM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,Aug 30 2004, 12:04 PM
My dad was officially diagnosed with Alzheimers on Wednesday and I can't ignore it anymore. He told me he wasn't going to do anything about moving into an Assisted Living place and that it would be my problem when he's unable to do for himself anymore.
Patty,

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

As someone mentioned, see that while he can still make decisions you get power of attorney and a health care proxy form drawn up.

Down the road, it will make things easier. Rick's Mom has Alzheimer's so we know how rough this is on the entire family, our thoughts are with you.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Patty

I'm very sorry to hear about this. I know how difficult it can be when an elderly parent needs medical and long term care.

In addition to the excellent suggestions made by Deb and Lainey, make sure that you have all of the proper documents, such as wills, in place. You might want to consult with an attorney or CPA concerning the financial side of all of this. Unfortunately, even in the twilight of their years, our parents and any elderly person needs to have everything in place.

Old 08-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,529 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Thanks for the advice Deb, minako, lainey and Rob. I wrote it down.

Deb, my dad has three kids. My older sister, Jeanne, lives in Poipu Beach on Kauai. She is the executor of his trust so we let her know what's up. She never comes to the mainland so she won't be a help. On the other hand, we told her last night on the phone, that if did moved over there, when he gets to wondering he can't go far. Bad joke. My younger brother is not in the picture. He is mentally nuts and is into wearing diapers. I'm NOT kidding. We are thinking that a live-in at my dad's house might work for a while. He can afford it and since he doesn't want to leave his house it seems to be the only option until he gets too bad off. My dad lives about 45 miles away. He's in the same house I grew up in and I hate to even go there. We live in the sticks and he lives in crowded, congested, noisy North Hollywood. Andy's parents live down five houses and across the street. (We met when he moved in at 13 years old.)
Old 08-30-2004, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patty: PM sent.

Quick Reply: ***Official Vintage "Shoot the Breeze" Thread!***